Every "diet" I Have Failed.

Options
Hi, I am 44 years old..always been pretty much over-weight most of my life. I am 5'6. Currently I weigh 230 pounds. I lost three pounds since I started on Monday but I am sure it's probably water weight. My comfortable overweight - weight is usually 180 pounds. I have never really exercised. I am buying a treadmill. I am doing a 1,200 calorie way of eating. I'm so afraid that I am going to fail. I guess being on here and even typing this out is my way of ...essentially trying to hold myself accountable. I figure if I put it out there (my weight and struggles) that this is really ....real. I have to lose weight. I take a medication that puts weight on sadly and cannot go off of it, but I can't let that be an excuse to not do anything. I know so many people feel they are the only ones who can't lose weight but I mean it when I say I feel like I just cannot lose weight! First I don't know how..and I know that sounds stupid but for someone like me whose never weighed food or counted calories this seems like such hard work. I read one thing while combing over these posts..If you want to lose weight you have to have a calorie deficit. So I am going to put that to the test.
I really would appreciate so much, support and encouragement that I ....ME...Day_knee...can actually do this like all the others I have seen on this forum do. I can lose this weight. I can lose 50 pounds at the minimum. I can stick to a 1,200 calorie way of eating and maybe...just maybe by August I can be 50 pounds less.

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Has eating 1200 calories worked for you before? If not, maybe it's time to rethink your plan and maybe come up with a better, sustainable weight loss plan.

You should read the stickies they have in this forum to educate yourself on sustainable weight loss.
  • Day_knee
    Day_knee Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have never tried to eat just 1200 calories so this is my first time. I was going to try it for a minimum of a month along with walking, to see if it works. I will still look at the stickies though and get more educated in terms of weight loss and sustainable weight loss. Thank you
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I am 44 too, well you must be motivated to pass now. GO KICK SOME BUTT AND GET IT DONE!
  • MatildaT73
    MatildaT73 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Has eating 1200 calories worked for you before? If not, maybe it's time to rethink your plan and maybe come up with a better, sustainable weight loss plan.

You should read the stickies they have in this forum to educate yourself on sustainable weight loss.

What are stickies, please.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP age 52, 5'4" @ 232lbs. I too tried the MFP standby of 1200 cals. It sucked; I felt that I was on a diet and I was miserable. I learned about TDEE and modified my caloric goals to TDEE-20%. That yielded a 50lb weight loss in about 16 months (1lb every 10 days like clockwork).

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,271 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good information on this site, lots of it in the top stickies of the forums. You may find out that you can eat much more than 1200 calories and still lose weight. You might lose it a little slower, but if you make smaller changes, you might not feel as deprived. An additional 300-500 calories a day can make a big difference in your mood some days.

As the weight comes off, you'll be ready for different changes (more exercise, fewer calories, whatever) and you'll be motivated by your success. Be sure to educate yourself. It's not linear. You'll be up and down, but what you're looking for is a gradual down. You're smart to get started no matter what. Time passes whether we're gaining, losing or staying the same.

Good luck!
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Counting calories IS hard work. I recommend getting a food scale and measuring everything. It's so easy to under estimate how many calories is in something when you guess. Secondly, have a few things on hand that you don't have to make. Snacks and food that are healthy that you can just microwave or grab and go when you are starving. It's easy to fall back in to old patterns when it seems like work. Things I always have in my fridge: string cheese/babybel light, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, grilled chicken tenders, spinach, tomatoes, avocado (I can make a quick salad or snack on these things). Things I always have in my pantry (popcorn, high fiber english muffins). Find healthy things that you like to eat and keep them on hand. I cannot have trigger foods in my house, so when my daughter and husband get a pizza I have to throw any leftovers away. Make small, manageable goals and celebrate them when you reach them. Maybe 10 pounds should be your first goal. Exercise to earn more calories. I recommend getting a heart rate monitor with a calorie counter. It's amazing how much exercise you are willing to do when you are earning more food. Bananas are great fuel for a workout. Good luck. You can do it!
  • MiaFree
    MiaFree Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Day_knee, where did the figure regarding 1200 calories come from? Make sure this is based on a good basal metabolic rate. I too was one that was on a medication which made me gain. The struggle is real, and it takes eating healthy and good cardio exercise
  • bigbodybake
    bigbodybake Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You haven't failed, you just haven't found the right one yet. I don't like to consider myself as being on a diet, to many rules. I just eat healthy food, that I like, and sometimes something I don't so much like, excercise everyday, even if only for a few minutes.

You're not failing the diets failed, you need to get into your head and tell yourself you've decided your done not being happy with how you look right now, and make yourself enjoying what you're doing to make for a healthier you.

Have fun with it
  • ExTechOp
    ExTechOp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started at age 48, 5'6" 230# and dropped 50# in about nine months.

I've mostly kept it off for about two years

An important side-note: I gained 10# in one month when I stopped using MyFitnessPal and tried to wing it.

So lesson learned: stick with the app/website, whether you stick with the calorie restrictions or not. It's actually enormously empowering to me when I can link my weight gains to my over-calorie indulgences - I know it's not random, but rather very much under my control.

Couple of things that helped me: a measuring cup and a food scale. I stopped using both after about a year, which is how long it took to learn to gauge volume & weight accurately enough for MyFItnessPal entries. But it really helped keep me honest that first year, and it was REALLY eye-opening to see all the portion sizes for myself
  • Day_knee
    Options
    I am 44 too, well you must be motivated to pass now. GO KICK SOME BUTT AND GET IT DONE!

I am motivated! I have to do this for me. I will kick some butt and get it done!!! :)
  • Day_knee
    Options
    I started on MFP age 52, 5'4" @ 232lbs. I too tried the MFP standby of 1200 cals. It sucked; I felt that I was on a diet and I was miserable. I learned about TDEE and modified my caloric goals to TDEE-20%. That yielded a 50lb weight loss in about 16 months (1lb every 10 days like clockwork).

I actually don't feel so much like I am on a diet at 1200 calories. There were days that I wouldn't eat all day, then most days where I would only eat once a day. I have done that terrible cycle for so many years. I will definitely adjust if I find that in a few weeks I am not doing too well :) thank you for responding.
  • Day_knee
    Options
    There is a lot of good information on this site, lots of it in the top stickies of the forums. You may find out that you can eat much more than 1200 calories and still lose weight. You might lose it a little slower, but if you make smaller changes, you might not feel as deprived. An additional 300-500 calories a day can make a big difference in your mood some days.

As the weight comes off, you'll be ready for different changes (more exercise, fewer calories, whatever) and you'll be motivated by your success. Be sure to educate yourself. It's not linear. You'll be up and down, but what you're looking for is a gradual down. You're smart to get started no matter what. Time passes whether we're gaining, losing or staying the same.

Good luck!

I will for sure look at all the stickies of the forums. You are right I might be able to eat more and still lose weight. I suppose the main thing for me is recognizing that I need a calorie deficit in order to lose weight, just how much of a deficit we will see :) I think I am good with 1200 for right now and then hopefully start doing the treadmill when I can't get outside to walk ..with the snow and all.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Lose the negativity.
  • Day_knee
    Options
    Counting calories IS hard work. I recommend getting a food scale and measuring everything. It's so easy to under estimate how many calories is in something when you guess. Secondly, have a few things on hand that you don't have to make. Snacks and food that are healthy that you can just microwave or grab and go when you are starving. It's easy to fall back in to old patterns when it seems like work. Things I always have in my fridge: string cheese/babybel light, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, grilled chicken tenders, spinach, tomatoes, avocado (I can make a quick salad or snack on these things). Things I always have in my pantry (popcorn, high fiber english muffins). Find healthy things that you like to eat and keep them on hand. I cannot have trigger foods in my house, so when my daughter and husband get a pizza I have to throw any leftovers away. Make small, manageable goals and celebrate them when you reach them. Maybe 10 pounds should be your first goal. Exercise to earn more calories. I recommend getting a heart rate monitor with a calorie counter. It's amazing how much exercise you are willing to do when you are earning more food. Bananas are great fuel for a workout. Good luck. You can do it!

I have a scale and yes I am going to be using it! It's funny you say all this stuff because I just got back from the store a bit ago with cherry tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms, lettuce, yogurt ( but only greek yogurt) etc..basically almost everything you wrote here. I have zero junk food in my pantry that would tempt me. No more cookies or cakes or yummy things that I have loved and devoured forever.
    And the 10 pound weight loss is already my goal lolol. I think your post was reading my mind. Thank you for responding. Oh and I also plan to use a treadmill to work off some calories too!
  • Day_knee
    Options
    MiaFree wrote: »
    Day_knee, where did the figure regarding 1200 calories come from? Make sure this is based on a good basal metabolic rate. I too was one that was on a medication which made me gain. The struggle is real, and it takes eating healthy and good cardio exercise

It came from here..putting in how much I wanted to lose a week based on my weight. If it is too low I will adjust it in a couple of weeks.
    I hate taking this medication!! I hate that it has put on 20 pounds in 4 months. I am just going to do this slow and steady and hopefully win the race :)
  • muccica07
    muccica07 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I tried to message you but it wasnt going through. Booo :-(

Hi there!
    I saw your thread about dieting and wanted to send you a quick message. First of all, super glad you are back and motivated!! Congratulations for taking the first step. Second, I saw in your post that you plan to stick to 1200 calories, that is generally a good goal for most dieters. I was just a little concerned when you mentioned that you havent eaten much in the past. Undereating a lot of the time has the potential to do more harm than good because it can crash your metabolism. If this happens, repairing it is a very long process; slowly adding calories and maintaining weight until you can finally cut them. I have had to do this (so I know how much of a bummer it is) as well as many people in my support group. Just make sure you're getting all of those calories in!! :-)

Also, for me, and many people I know; we have adjusted our macros to balance carbs, fat, and protein. We go into settings on MFP and set protein at about 40-50%, carbs 20-30% and fats 20%.

I am by no means an expert but I have gained a lot of knowledge through my own experiences, as well as doing some hefty research. I hope some of this helps and didnt come off as pushy or rude. If you'd like to chat more, or would just like some support, feel free to message me :-) You can do this!!
  • Day_knee
    Options
    muccica07 wrote: »
    I tried to message you but it wasnt going through. Booo :-(

Hi there!
    I saw your thread about dieting and wanted to send you a quick message. First of all, super glad you are back and motivated!! Congratulations for taking the first step. Second, I saw in your post that you plan to stick to 1200 calories, that is generally a good goal for most dieters. I was just a little concerned when you mentioned that you havent eaten much in the past. Undereating a lot of the time has the potential to do more harm than good because it can crash your metabolism. If this happens, repairing it is a very long process; slowly adding calories and maintaining weight until you can finally cut them. I have had to do this (so I know how much of a bummer it is) as well as many people in my support group. Just make sure you're getting all of those calories in!! :-)

Also, for me, and many people I know; we have adjusted our macros to balance carbs, fat, and protein. We go into settings on MFP and set protein at about 40-50%, carbs 20-30% and fats 20%.

I am by no means an expert but I have gained a lot of knowledge through my own experiences, as well as doing some hefty research. I hope some of this helps and didnt come off as pushy or rude. If you'd like to chat more, or would just like some support, feel free to message me :-) You can do this!!

Hi! Thank you for responding and no you didn't come off as pushy or rude..not in the least. I am taking it all in from the experts who have done this for a long time (you) and I am open to all information anyone has to offer me.
    Yes I do plan on sticking to a 1200 calorie food plan. You are right that under eating can do a lot of damage. I am told by my doctor that my body is in a permanent state of starvation, especially when I would only eat once a day and some days would't eat at all. People laugh when I say I hardly eat and I don't blame them...no one gets to 230 pounds by NOT eating right? Sure when I ate I would eat my fill. An example of me eating once a day would be mainly for dinner. I would make comfort foods, things like meatloaf and potatoes and put butter on my potatoes and have a salad with tons of fatty dressing and I would have two helpings along with maybe a desert after. I cannot imagine that I was consuming less than 1200 in one sitting. I know that my body is angry with my way of eating and is holding onto every single thing I put into it when I only eat once a day or skip eating all together. That is how I got fat!
    I recognize that I need to feed my body. I need to give it the fuel it needs so that...I hope....it see's that I am not starving it and maybe it will release some weight. At least that is how I understood it from my doctor. I also want to exercise. I am an avid hater of it and am jealous about how people love it haha. Once I get my treadmill though, I am going to be all about getting on it and walking...at least 40 minutes a day. The whole exercising thing has not been something I understand entirely but will incorporate it and figure it out as I go along...well that with the help of you guys I am sure I can come up with something that will work for me. I thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Putting myself out here ...well...it kind of sucks. I feel like a failure and I just want to be healthy so much.
  • morey235
    morey235 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It is hard, I do the calorie chart everyday. At first it was hard for me, but now I do good with it. I also take meds that put weight on me, so it is a struggle, but I won't give up. I lose a lb, then gain it back the next day. I need to add more exercise, but hard with osteoarthritis in my knee. We all have problems, so don't be concerned with putting yourself out there, I know I do and I look for help.
  • morey235
    morey235 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I am also on a 1200 calorie plan.