Too big clothes...what do you do?

Options
Seriously, I'd like to know from those who have struggled...is it best to get rid of your clothes when they get too big? Last time I lost 60 lbs I got rid of my biggest ones, but packed away those one size up. Eventually, I was digging them out to wear something comfortable, which led to me gaining the last 25 lbs back. Did I set myself up for failure? I've lost 35 lbs. Should I store or donate my size 18 and 16 jeans now that I'm in a 14?

Replies

• AlexanderWaddell
    AlexanderWaddell Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What I would do is get rid of them as they are a part of you that doesn't matter anymore, go out and get yourself something new that you could fit it at your goal weight and keep working till it fits
  • JuJuB1958
    JuJuB1958 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should get rid of them. They are not you anymore.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Donate them to goodwill.
  • happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds in 2015. I donated all but the next size up. Just packed up two more bags for goodwill Last night
  • sadyia15
    sadyia15 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yup get rid. I've done that wore bigger clothes n instead of goin dwn in size went up cs they were loose n didn't realise I was slowly piling it bk on. N yh defo get a smaller top or jeans as ur one day they'll fit clothes. I hve but not fitting into them yet but one day hey
  • tinab190
    tinab190 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Get rid of 'em! Treat yourself to new clothes. I have one pair of my biggest pants to remind me of how far I've come. Other than that.....gone!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I donated everything to Goodwill. It was almost cleansing. I'm never going back to those sizes so I got rid of them.
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Wish i had that problem
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I got rid of things as soon as they stopped looking good on me. Sometimes that meant a pair of jeans in 14 were (sadly?) only worn 3 times before they sagged in the bum and I started wearing the same brand/cut in a 12. Other times it meant I wore a XXL tank when it was tight as a base layer, same tank when it was getting loose with a cardigan over it, and finally that tank had its last hurrah as a baggy swimsuit cover-up before getting donated. Nicer items I've sold (mostly via craigslist or depop).

But yeah, I didn't keep things.

If money for a whole new wardrobe is an issue (which I think it is for most folks who are losing drastic amounts and changing sizes regularly)...try to focus more on having a 'capsule wardrobe' where you mix and match everything you own. Also, while you might frown on discount store clothing or fast fashion, this is one of the times that it can be useful.

For me it was really hard getting rid of clothing sometimes. I was used to being in the same size range for over a decade and collecting unique pieces. But I definitely got over it. haha ~ I wouldn't go back for anything.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If money for a whole new wardrobe is an issue (which I think it is for most folks who are losing drastic amounts and changing sizes regularly)...try to focus more on having a 'capsule wardrobe' where you mix and match everything you own.
    Great advice.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I sold some of my nicer stuff that was silk, cashmere, leather, sequined, beaded. I got a good deal on store credit at a higher end second hand store and bought things that fit.
  • ginadaye
    ginadaye Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Gonna get rid of them with a smile...cause I ain't going back there!
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Good job Gina! I went through my closet and got rid of everything that didn't fit, I didn't love or didn't look great on me. Now getting dressed is so much easier becuase I know no matter what I pull out of the closet it will fit and I will look/feel good in it.
  • kgailloux
    kgailloux Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I gave away everything but a few favorite items that are 1 size too big. Those are stored way under my bed. I keep them as motivation. If I need new clothes, I have to buy at my current size, or I have to pull out my old stuff. I don't know about you, but I like to shop!
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Panda_brat wrote: »
    Donate them to goodwill.

This - a definite feel good move.

• dennisnguyen
    dennisnguyen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of things I did to the close that were too big for me. As everyone else has said, I donated some of my clothes.

The other thing I did with my old clothes was create. I made stuffed animals for my kids using my old clothes. Or if I really liked the design or pattern of a shirt, I would sew them so they would fit me.
  • ginadaye
    ginadaye Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Dennis..how cool! I am not good at alterations!
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Donate everything- do not keep one size up. If your clothes get tight and uncomfortable then it forces a decision: get back on track or buy clothes signing up to getting heavier. I have yogo'd for years and getting rid of all larger sizes is most successful I have been.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Keep it all
  • Paulina1230
    Paulina1230 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I just packed up all my old scrubs....from 3x down to xlarge. I am a large now and proud of it and Im never....NEVER going back, so let somone else who can use them have them. Dropping them off at goodwill today and never looking back. I feel like a beautiful butterfly shedding my ugly cocoon ...Im flying away and ever want to see that cocoon again.