My AHA moment

Options
Hello everyone! My name is Paige.

Well it finally hit me...use my fitnesspal, stay under calories, move more and lose weight. Such an easy concept, I'm not sure why it has taken me this long to figure this out but here I am...14 days in and I have lost 15 pounds. I'm so excited!

I have always struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. I lost down to 124 my senior year in high school and held that for a while...then I fell in love and married. My husband had custody of his two children, his 8 year old son who was born with spina bifida and confined to a wheelchair and his daughter who was a 3 year old ball of energy...and I was 21 without a clue. Needless to say, looking back, I realize that I am an emotional eater...and I had many emotions in those early years. Fast forward 26 years and here I am needing to lose nearly a whole person.

So now I see this as an opportunity to regain the person I know I am and lose the person I thought I needed to be at the time...that wasn't me and didn't fit which is why I gained so much...I wasn't happy with myself. I've learned so much about who I want to be as a person, a wife and a mother...I like the fact that I am moving toward a happier healthier me.

Replies

• GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Hey Paige! Welcome to MFP and congratz on your progress!
    Good luck with your goal!
  • Paigiedee
    Paigiedee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey to you and thank you so much!
  • mbellot05
    mbellot05 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Paige,

That is great news to hear. I am most assuredly an emotional eater as well. It is something that once I become cognizant of, and see results I can manage my calories pretty well. I had started on MFP almost 4 years ago when my highest weight was 358.5...fast forward to Jan. 4 of this year and my weight was 385. Thankfully since I started eating right I have gotten down to 371.

My point in saying this is that another skill I had to learn was that I have to look past my past failures to move forward. Also, most of losing weight is really behavior modification which is really retraining how your mind works. So a lot of that "battle" is in the mind.

You can absolutely do it...just have to work smarter not harder necessarily.
  • mistressmozart
    mistressmozart Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    hi Paige, welcome and congrats on your progress so far! I'm an emotional eater as well. And when i go 'bad' I go really bad. I just went through (am still trying to deal with) a painful breakup before xmas so add that to the weight i'd been putting on the past year and here i am....

anyway good luck to you! friend me if you like :)
  • tjames30
    tjames30 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You're off to a great start, you can do this!
  • Paigiedee
    Options
    Exactly, mbellot05, work smarter not harder...I so wish I had done this years ago...haha. But it's never too late to get started and move forward. Good luck to you and we will win this "battle of the mind".

Mistressmoz...so sorry to hear of your breakup, I too can go from bad to REALLY BAD in a split second. I'm finally learning that one bad meal does not have to derail me, I can just move on to the next meal and pick right back up. Before I would have said "well you goofed, so you might as well give up"...thankfully I know better now. haha!

Thank you tjames30, I appreciate the encouragement!

Good luck to us all! We CAN do this!!
  • Imomw2016
    Imomw2016 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi Paige,
    Please add me to your MFP pals list. I think you will find that once you have a few friends who can relate to you and provide positive feedback, stuff that seems really difficult right now will become a distant memory. I know that it is definitely working for me thanks to some likeminded MFP friends to count on.
    And welcome!
    Hillary
  • Paigiedee
    Options
    Imomw2016 I definitely welcome insight and tips from others. Thank you for the welcome!
  • startingoveragain2020
    Options
    Hey. You're welcome to add me if you want. Good luck on your journey.
  • Paigiedee
    Options
    ml_g9 wrote: »
    Hey. You're welcome to add me if you want. Good luck on your journey.

Thank you, and to you as well!
  • Susan0279
    Susan0279 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Wow that is awesome, I am starting all over again :'(:'( , but this time it will stick. Keep up the good work! Feel free to add me so when can keep each other in line!
  • Paigiedee
    Options
    Susan0279 wrote: »
    Wow that is awesome, I am starting all over again :'(:'( , but this time it will stick. Keep up the good work! Feel free to add me so when can keep each other in line!

Thank you! I can't count how many times this will be that I have started over...but...I know this time is a whole mindset change...which is what I missed before. We will get it done this time around!
  • 4bugsmama
    4bugsmama Posts: 2,871 Member
    Options
    I love your attitude and I'm glad you are here. Lots of encouraging people to surround yourself with and a lot of us here are great for motivation. Feel free to add me as a friend, and best of luck on your journey!
  • Flab2Fab32
    Flab2Fab32 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success!! Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me!
  • Paigiedee
    Options
    4bugsmama wrote: »
    I love your attitude and I'm glad you are here. Lots of encouraging people to surround yourself with and a lot of us here are great for motivation. Feel free to add me as a friend, and best of luck on your journey!

Thank you! I have been amazed at the positive response from everyone. So excited to learn more about myself and others as we all go on this journey.
  • Paigiedee
    Options
    Flab2Fab32 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your success!! Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me!

Thank you so much and the same to you! Such wonderful people here!