girl Scout Cookies

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my objections to GS cookies are two fold.

1- the pitiful amount of cookies you get in a box and
    2- the fact the girls get a PITTANCE of what they sell for their troop.

therefore, i refuse to buy them. i do however, give the girls a cash donation for their troop if i walk by and have a few bucks on me.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I pre-ordered six boxes from an in-law's daughter, but this thread is just rubbing it in my face that I have to wait another month or so before they arrive. Hrmph. I did buy some Keebler Grasshoppers today to help tide me over.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

therefore, i refuse to buy them. i do however, give the girls a cash donation for their troop if i walk by and have a few bucks on me.

Where we live, they are $4/box. Our troop gets 70 cents per box. $1.57 goes to pay for various administrative costs and the cost of the cookies themselves. The remaining $1.73 funds various Girl Scout programs. IMO, the 70c is reasonable for the troops. The cookies pretty much sell themselves, with very little salesmanship required on the part of the girls. My daughter makes very little effort to sell--she asks her one set of grandparents and that's it. Still, she sells an average of 125 boxes a year because my husband and I set the order form out in our break rooms at work. Once the cookies come in she has to work one two hour cookie booth. So for two hours and two minutes of work, she earns her troop $87.50. Not bad.

It's great that you give a donation--very kind :)
  • JP_909
    JP_909 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I love Girl Scout cookies !
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    Its not the girl scouts fault! I bought 4 boxes from the girl I nanny for, and I intend to store them in our storage closet. I'll pay attention to the date but then someday be pleasantly surprised when I find them

They keep really well in the freezer!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Its not the girl scouts fault! I bought 4 boxes from the girl I nanny for, and I intend to store them in our storage closet. I'll pay attention to the date but then someday be pleasantly surprised when I find them

Even my very favorite of the favorites...Do Si Dos??? :)

Or my very simple tastes of the Trefoils?? :)

Do you just stick the box in the freezer or what?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Where we live, they are $4/box. Our troop gets 70 cents per box. $1.57 goes to pay for various administrative costs and the cost of the cookies themselves. The remaining $1.73 funds various Girl Scout programs. IMO, the 70c is reasonable for the troops. The cookies pretty much sell themselves, with very little salesmanship required on the part of the girls. My daughter makes very little effort to sell--she asks her one set of grandparents and that's it. Still, she sells an average of 125 boxes a year because my husband and I set the order form out in our break rooms at work. Once the cookies come in she has to work one two hour cookie booth. So for two hours and two minutes of work, she earns her troop $87.50. Not bad.

It's great that you give a donation--very kind :)

I'd like to earn that sort of pittance.

• jemhh
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Even my very favorite of the favorites...Do Si Dos??? :)

Or my very simple tastes of the Trefoils?? :)

Do you just stick the box in the freezer or what?

Yes, I just stick them in. They are in boxes and the cookies are in plastic. You can put them in zipper bags too if you want but it's not really necessary.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    They freeze well. If you don't want to eat them in January, freeze them until you feel it's the proper time. Or don't buy them.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Much of the goal of cookie sales is skill building. When girls become Cadettes and above, all the money they earn from product sales is kept in an individual fund; it no longer goes to the troop. The girls use that money to fund the activities they want to do - trips, award projects, service projects. So learning how to talk to people, organize, manage money, etc, are all skills they need to be able to earn enough through product sales and money earning events to do the stuff they want to do.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    susan100df wrote: »
    I like Girl Scouts. Didn't want to penalize them for my gluttony. I gave them $20 as a donation. At least they get to keep it all and I don't get crazy trying not to eat the whole box at once. Maybe in a year I will trust myself to use portion control.

My very first binge food was Girl Scout cookies and to this day I have a hard time moderating them. It's easiest for me to just not have them in the house. I give Girl Scouts at the supermarkets a few dollars; no cookies required.

This is what we do too. I think Girl Scouts is a great organization but I don't particularly care for their cookies.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Living in Indiana, I've always wondered why they start selling during the coldest month! Door to door in 10° and 6" of snow? No thanks! :) Even selling in the lobby at the grocery store was freezing!
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

Much of the goal of cookie sales is skill building. When girls become Cadettes and above, all the money they earn from product sales is kept in an individual fund; it no longer goes to the troop. The girls use that money to fund the activities they want to do - trips, award projects, service projects. So learning how to talk to people, organize, manage money, etc, are all skills they need to be able to earn enough through product sales and money earning events to do the stuff they want to do.
    This may have changed from when I was a senior girl scout (10 years ago), but the money was always "owned" by the troop. Troops could elect to designate money earned by individuals for special trips or service projects, but it wasn't required. Our troop always pooled the money and used it to fund our big troop service project of the year.

Anywho, the cookies are delicious and they help girls/young women learn some critical life skills.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »

This may have changed from when I was a senior girl scout (10 years ago), but the money was always "owned" by the troop. Troops could elect to designate money earned by individuals for special trips or service projects, but it wasn't required. Our troop always pooled the money and used it to fund our big troop service project of the year.

Anywho, the cookies are delicious and they help girls/young women learn some critical life skills.

I never went that far so I don't know firsthand, but that's supposedly how things are being done now. Each girl gets her portion earmarked and she decides how to use it. I think the idea is to allow girls to put the focus more on what they want to do individually (like the Gold Award) and not feel like their money is being used to fund activities they don't want to do, like badges or journeys, just because other girls want to do them. I think it also has to do with encouraging the girls to pull their own weight, rather than what happens at lower levels where a few people might put in the majority of the effort, but everyone gets the same benefit.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Where can I get my cookies?

Do not derail with them... Although in my "past life" it would take nothing to down the entire box of Thin Mints or at least "one sleeve" at a time.

Get a serving and put the box up, and just think instead of downing the box, you can go back and get some more when you are so inclined!!

I thought I was doing good with one sleeve back in the day. Haha.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Digging a box out of the freezer now in honor of this thread
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    For those that don't want to say no to the scouts but want to support the program, don't they usually have the option to send cookies to the troops overseas?

I usually add a box to donate along with my cookies.
  • jemhh
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Where can I get my cookies?

Do not derail with them... Although in my "past life" it would take nothing to down the entire box of Thin Mints or at least "one sleeve" at a time.

Get a serving and put the box up, and just think instead of downing the box, you can go back and get some more when you are so inclined!!

I thought I was doing good with one sleeve back in the day. Haha.

My friend's neighbor told her he puts a sleeve of the do-si-dos (peanut butter sandwich) in a tall tumbler, pours milk over top, smashes up the cookies, and eats it all with a spoon.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    In the name of 2017, I command this discussion to RISE!

I began my weight loss journey one year ago, the same day that I bought last year's supply of Girl Scout Cookies.
    For my first week, the cookies which my family wanted disappeared and I had none. I ate normally that week and logged everything. I wanted to get the data of seeing how my eating was affecting my weighing. I gained 2 lb.
    The second week, I began modifying my eating, and the only box of cookies remaining were Savannah Smiles.
    In that second week, I had one serving, 5 cookies, of Savannah Smiles each evening. I lost 5 lb that week.

In celebration of the anniversary of discovering that I could practice portion control, I acquired another box of Savannah Smiles today along with several others. Portion control, exercise, accurate logging. I've lost 86 lb in the past year and today a total stranger told I needed smaller pants.

Folks, enjoy your cookies in moderation, not only the Girl Scout cookies in January, but all year long. Log them accurately. Stay within your calorie and macro goals. Life's good.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I usually just give them $4.00 when I see them and have the money. I just don't see a point in buying cookies that I don't want and can't eat to support a cause when I can just give them the money to directly benefit the troupe selling the cookies directly.