how important is stretching really?

Options
I hear tons of pros and I know the reasons for stretching but what works for you? I do moving stretching before a workout and then stretching after. In addition yoga at least twice a week.
So what are your thoughts and how important is stretching to you? Do you do before or after a workout?
Also, does it really help 'shape' the muscles or is it to help the muscles recovery after a workout?

Replies

• upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    A lot of recent studies have downplayed the importance of stretching before a workout. From what I have read it may be better just to ease your way into the workout. Stretching some after the workout seems to still be regarded as important.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Stretching ISN'T necessary for fitness unless lack of flexibility reduces you from completing a decent ROM.
    Personally I'll do dynamic stretching before a workout and some static stretching if I feel like it after.
    Stretching DOES NOT "shape" muscles. One of the biggest myths of yoga is that it builds LONG LEAN MUSCLE. Muscles are attached to their points on bone from when you were born. You can't lengthen them unless you detach them from bone. And yoga ain't doing that. Muscle is always built "lean". It's reduction of fat that makes one look leaner.
    And DOMS is from exercise that the muscle wasn't accustomed to. Stretching muscle doesn't help it recover faster. It MAY help one feel better from DOMS because stretching is and exercise and just getting physical movement will increase blood flow to the area increasing warmth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Second the suggestion to not stretch PreWO!

I stretch and use a roller/ball, and did have the aim of doing the splits.... I was asked why, and told that being overly flexible may decrease stability in lifting (powerlifting style)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    A lot of recent studies have downplayed the importance of stretching before a workout. From what I have read it may be better just to ease your way into the workout. Stretching some after the workout seems to still be regarded as important.
    While true, it downplays more about STATIC STRETCHING before a workout. Dynamic stretching would be the choice if one wanted to stretch before a workout which is more preference than need.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch any more at all and don't injure myself. If something is feeling twingy, I chill and let it go. Maybe my angle was a little funny or whatever. Next time, it's always better.

There's a buncha articles out there suggesting stretching weakens things and makes them more prone to injury.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Static stretching before a workout can actually increase your risk of injury. I do static stretching after a ride because I can get really tight otherwise and working that tightness out later is more work.
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I never stretch unless I have a muscle feeling tight.
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It depends if you want bulk or flexibility. Stretch is essential for flexibility. It also helps older people reduce those aches and pains. But stretch should take place after the workout.
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Maybe it depends on what exercise you plan on doing? I always do dynamic stretching before my kickboxing class and my fitness class, but not before going on the treadmill.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    sus49 wrote: »
    It depends if you want bulk or flexibility. Stretch is essential for flexibility. It also helps older people reduce those aches and pains. But stretch should take place after the workout.
    Are you suggesting that "bulky" people can't be flexible while gaining muscle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI7IK9nZKYM AT 2:05 doing the splits

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have a bad habit of not stretching after a workout, and I've ended up in PT three different times because of it. I apparently do have a limited ROM because of my avoidance of stretching that has led to injury because of how it has impaired my movement (ie. running and ankle/hip immobility). So I think stretching is important, just based on my own experiences. Studies seem to go back and forth and never agree.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    sus49 wrote: »
    Are suggesting that people with "bulk" aren't that flexible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jocUABe0Rnk AT 2:15 doing the splits

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I don't spend twenty minutes stretching but I will do some for the sake of DOMS. I really feel the best stretching after a workout. To each their own I guess.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    56854187.jpg
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I stretch out the tight axis of my lower crossed syndrome, but that is all. Everything else gets stabilization work thanks to hypermobility.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in stretching to avoid pain and to improve flexibility. All-natural cure-all.
  • briggsykim
    briggsykim Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch before or after anymore. I do a slow warmup with cardio and then a cool down.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Stretching ISN'T necessary for fitness unless lack of flexibility reduces you from completing a decent ROM.
    Personally I'll do dynamic stretching before a workout and some static stretching if I feel like it after.
    Stretching DOES NOT "shape" muscles. One of the biggest myths of yoga is that it builds LONG LEAN MUSCLE. Muscles are attached to their points on bone from when you were born. You can't lengthen them unless you detach them from bone. And yoga ain't doing that. Muscle is always built "lean". It's reduction of fat that makes one look leaner.
    And DOMS is from exercise that the muscle wasn't accustomed to. Stretching muscle doesn't help it recover faster. It MAY help one feel better from DOMS because stretching is and exercise and just getting physical movement will increase blood flow to the area increasing warmth.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    thank you! Very informative! I have heard so much crazy stuff...one was on fitness pal blog about stretching shapes the muscles...I didn't buy into it because they didnt give any reasoning to it.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    56854187.jpg

Haha thats great
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I warm up on the rowing machine 10-15 min before lifting. It gives my muscles fair warning they are going to have to do some work after sitting for a few hours at a computer.
    Not consistent at the after stretch, haven't noticed a difference when I miss it. It may when the weights get heavier, who knows.

Cheers, h.