Every "diet" I Have Failed.

2»

Replies

• Day_knee
    Day_knee Posts: 85 Member
    morey235 wrote: »
    It is hard, I do the calorie chart everyday. At first it was hard for me, but now I do good with it. I also take meds that put weight on me, so it is a struggle, but I won't give up. I lose a lb, then gain it back the next day. I need to add more exercise, but hard with osteoarthritis in my knee. We all have problems, so don't be concerned with putting yourself out there, I know I do and I look for help.

I am logging my food every day..well since a few days ago haha..I have to continue doing this. I have to. I can do it. I see so many peoples before and after photos and I want to be up there some day soon!
  • sandmross
    sandmross Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2016
    Day_knee 1200 calories is not sustainable! This will take a change in how you believe healthy weight loss achieved. Diets promote yoyo effects because most are not sustainable! You want to loose weight, eat more, maintain the social aspects of your life and improve your health. That is sustainable! HOW? Easy! You have the calorie concept! That's great, now add the macros! Research flexible eating! Calorie counting is nice, but you will see real results when you learn to fit proper macros into your calories! What's a macro? Protein, carbs, fat and fiber. Body builders use this concept eating clean, adjusting carbs and protein loads to shred for competition! It works for weight loss! I don't eat clean, and I love fast food! However I stay in my macros and drop weight easily. So before I pull into McDonald's, I check my macros. It's a yes or no! If I'm craving a Big Mac bad, gives me something to look forward to tomorrow! So, search flexible eating calculator. Find your macros. Load them into myfitnesspal. Eat! Loose! Sustain! This isn't a 30 day plan, it's a sustainable lifetime goal!
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Has eating 1200 calories worked for you before? If not, maybe it's time to rethink your plan and maybe come up with a better, sustainable weight loss plan.

You should read the stickies they have in this forum to educate yourself on sustainable weight loss.

Can't improve on this excellent advice.
  • Janehds0284
    Janehds0284 Posts: 87 Member
    You haven't failed, you just haven't found the right one yet. I don't like to consider myself as being on a diet, to many rules. I just eat healthy food, that I like, and sometimes something I don't so much like, excercise everyday, even if only for a few minutes.

You're not failing the diets failed, you need to get into your head and tell yourself you've decided your done not being happy with how you look right now, and make yourself enjoying what you're doing to make for a healthier you.

Have fun with it

YES!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    You can do this! I started MFP in April 2011. I was 39, 5'9", and weighed in at 200 lbs (after an all-time high of 235). I set the app to keep me on track to lose half a pound a week. My calories started off at 1830. I didn't follow any special diet plans. I just ate the normal food I liked, so long as it fit within my calorie goal. I used a kitchen scale to make sure I was accurate with portions. I started walking more and being more active in my day-to-day life. Surprisingly, the weight came off even faster than I expected. By Christmas of 2011, I hit my goal weight of 152. And by May of 2012, I weighed in at 135. I weighed less as a 40 year old woman than I did as a high school senior.

For almost four years now, I've maintained a weight range of 135-140 lbs. It's been the only time in my life that I've lost weight and managed to keep it off for more than a few months.

I'll also add that I have some health issues that make things more challenging, too. I don't know why MFP worked when every other diet I tried failed, but it did.

Good luck to you!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    also remember that it can take more than a month to see much of a loss. for some it will be a lot and for some little to none. so give it a few months first and see how you do.a month is not long enough to know if its truly working or not.
  • sandi4711
    sandi4711 Posts: 14 Member
    Hey Day_Knee - I'm a formerly obese 44 year old - started my journey where I topped off at 270#, and I'm only 5'1. I'm down to about 143 right now, though I haven't been on a scale for a while - so it's a guess - I don't live and die by the scale or the calorie count because it adds stress and stress leads to all sorts of other issues, including but not limited to weight related. For me, measurements and how my jeans fit are a better barometer.

Anyhow, there's a lot of good info here, lots of great (and some not so great IMO) responses to your post. In the years it took me to lose my weight, and the years I've struggled and worked (and finally found a fairly decent balance) to maintain it, I've learned a lot about fitness, nutrition, healthy diets, macro and micro nutrients, and so on. If you'd like to talk to someone who is totally in your court, for motivation, ideas, questions you might have, or issues with your progress, please feel free to message me any time.