Fitbit? Are they worth it?

Options
Looking to purchase a Fitbit (Charge HR). Do they work/help or is it just a gadget to waste $ on? I am doing CrossFit and want to know heart rate, calories burned etc.
Thanks!

Replies

• Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Charge HR and I never take it off (well, except to shower). I think it was worth it, for sure. Even if it's just to get to my 10,000 steps. You don't get a reward (besides a little buzz on your wrist) and yet I am still motivated to get there every day. So much to the point that i will walk in place for 10 minutes if I have to. It also helps if you have "friends" who have one too, that way you can add a little competition.
  • Ibeachlover
    Ibeachlover Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert on these gadgets, but from what I've read, there are several choices with different price ranges, and I'm sure functionality. Might be good to do research before buying to ensure you get what you want for the best price / functionality.
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Charge HR and I never take it off (well, except to shower). I think it was worth it, for sure. Even if it's just to get to my 10,000 steps. You don't get a reward (besides a little buzz on your wrist) and yet I am still motivated to get there every day. So much to the point that i will walk in place for 10 minutes if I have to. It also helps if you have "friends" who have one too, that way you can add a little competition.

This is me too. I love just asking sure I'm up and active and at the end of the day if I haven't hit my goal of 10,000 steps I like to get up and get moving. I have the charge hr and I like to see my heart rate when I'm working out and after just to see where I stand am I getting better etc.
  • kdcomstock89
    kdcomstock89 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It's worth it for me. I can't let that annoying girl from work get more steps than me. I'll walk circles around my kitchen island if I have to. It's also been nice to track sleep.
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm disappointed in my Charge HR. The heartrate isn't at all accurate, nor is the step count. I was at 300 before getting out of bed this morning. That said, it does encourage me to be more active.

If I could go back, I'd opt for a pedometer that goes around my ankle instead.
  • shaunjadon
    shaunjadon Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's worth it for me. I can't let that annoying girl from work get more steps than me. I'll walk circles around my kitchen island if I have to. It's also been nice to track sleep.

OMG your comment is hilarious!!!! I love my fitbit though and have done challenges with my friend which have kept me motivated to keep MOVING. As a user said above, I like to see my heart rate changes. When I was hitting the gym regularly, my resting heart rate dropped from the low 90s to high 70s in a few weeks. I was so proud of myself (before the holidays stole my motivation for a few weeks :-( )
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Looking to purchase a Fitbit (Charge HR). Do they work/help or is it just a gadget to waste $ on? I am doing CrossFit and want to know heart rate, calories burned etc.
    Thanks!

So I think there are three parts to the answer.

Is an activity tracker useful? That's a very personal point and depends how you're motivated and what you hope to gain from it? Personally I find mine interesting, but it doesn't tell me much I didn't know.

Is the Charge HR a good device? It does two things, the accelerometer counts steps and the optical HRM can track HR data. The two different things can give you a range of data. The step tracker can be useful, the HR data has very limited utility to most users.

Is it useful for Crossfit? No, not even remotely. Neither of the two data sets give yyou anything meaningful with respect to your training or fitness. The calorie count will not be accurate and HR is meaningless in the context.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I like the fitbit surge, step track and competition with my girlfriend is great (although she almost always wins, the wily little minx) the hr is consistent with my treadmill monitor and my recumbent bike, I can see messages in meeting (link to phone) and I can control music levels. oh and it tells time and date.......
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've had a Zip for less than a week. So far, I'd say that it has pushed me to move more. I am super sedentary at work. Seeing the really low step number when I get home has encouraged me to go walk for a bit after dinner each night. Right now, I feel like its calorie count isn't really matching up with what I expect, based on logging my food/weight for the past couple of years, but I am being patient to see if that improves.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have the Force and love it. They had a recall due to a rash it was causing so I started moving it to my other wrist and back again, no more rash. I have worn it every day for more than two years, even in the shower! I like to run in the mornings and often get 10k steps before the sun comes up. I bought my mother in-law one and when she saw mine she asked "how many step you got?" I had had a busy day and had run 10 miles already so I looked and replied 22,000 She said go to hell!
  • MrsGreco
    MrsGreco Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

They are definitely worth it! I currently have the Charge HR but I just pre-ordered the new Blaze. They will be out in March :)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I have had a fit bit for 3 years. First a One, then a Force (no longer available) and I got a ChargeHR last June.

To me, they are the best invention ever. I love Fit Bit. I am seriously thinking about up grading to their new Blaze. It is the perfect device to motivate me to move more.
  • MrsGreco
    MrsGreco Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

At the start of your workout you can put the device in "exercise mode" by holding down the button (it will vibrate) This will track steps, distance, cals burned & heart rate" So YES this will be beneficial to use during crossfit. You just probably won't be getting a lot of steps. But it will determine calories burned based off your heartrate.

I use this when on my elliptical and stationary bike. Works great. Love seeing how many calories I burn.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i just replaced my outdated 4 year old bodymedia band with a fitbit HR, and i'm totally happy. Its accurate for me so far, and already motivated me to increase my daily activity. My syncs up bluetooth with my phone, so if my phone screen is on, it shows me real time activity like my steps or calorie burn. i love that feature
  • AngelMommy13
    AngelMommy13 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

I am the exact same way. Just got mine on Sunday and I love it!
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've been using mine (Charge HR) for about 6 months. My reasons for getting it were pretty simple - I wanted to automate the process of entering exercise calories into MFP, and give me a little extra motivation to keep moving during the day (e.g., to get to the magical 10K steps). It has definitely done both in spades.

To be fair, there are other fitness trackers out there that do more than the FitBit for less money.... but I'm pretty happy with the product.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    dwulet130 wrote: »
    Personally, I'm disappointed in my Charge HR. The heartrate isn't at all accurate, nor is the step count. I was at 300 before getting out of bed this morning. That said, it does encourage me to be more active.

If I could go back, I'd opt for a pedometer that goes around my ankle instead.
    300 calories or steps? I'd talk to their customer support if the step count is that high in the morning.

As for calories, it gives an estimate of your total calories burned not just from purposeful exercise. You burn calories just by being alive.

I suggest reading this if you haven't.
  • crittergirl222
    crittergirl222 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It works for me, but probably wouldn't work for my husband. I am incredibly competitive and goal oriented. I am like the other posters who will "get my steps in"because not hitting that number would bug me. There are days that without it I would probably just watch tv. :)
  • EleanorLynn1989
    EleanorLynn1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Only if you like wasting your money on a product with customer service that treats you like crap.
  • ErinR82
    ErinR82 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just got a Charge HR about a week ago and I'm in love with it! It totally keeps me motivated to move more and it syncs with MFP too.