so many tears today

Time for honesty. Setback for me today..Had some sort of meltdown and a lot of tears during my workout this morning because I couldn't keep up. How could I let my body get to this point? Why did I never take care of myself sooner? I started crying so hard I had to stop my workout and now I just feel so worthless I don't want to keep going. Talk about a pity party.

Replies

• Allira_11
    Allira_11 Posts: 21 Member
    edited January 2016
    it's ok to be sad the important thing is not to stop on your weight loss journey :)
  • srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Don't quit, don't give up. Let's all get some ice cream, throw on our pj's and watch Golden Girls. You down?
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Please don't give up. I know it's easy for me to say but, try to remember that you're here now and taking care of yourself now and you have to forgive yourself for what you did in the past. It's okay to have bad days, and sometimes even a melt down. This is a very emotional process and anyone who tries to tell you it's not is fooling themselves. Be good to yourself, forgive yourself and know that we're here to encourage and help you.
  • joy4me123
    joy4me123 Posts: 7 Member
    It is difficult to loose weight and keep in shape! I wish it was as easy to loose as it is to gain! I'm struggling now cause my darling husband has cancer and food seems to be the only thing that is soothing me, nevertheless I don't want to get out of shape and am still trying. If I let myself go I won't have the strength to care for him.
  • ImALiar_AndAThief
    ImALiar_AndAThief Posts: 44 Member
    edited January 2016
    Tears, sadness and regret can be a normal part of the process. Try to not let that define you. Instead, use this reflection as motivation needed to achieve your goals. In my opinion, what defines us is how we respond to these situations. Keep you head up, chest out and good luck to you the rest of your journey!
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    You gotta hit lows before you achieve highs :) xx
  • arianafred
    arianafred Posts: 7 Member
    Thank all of you guys so, so much. I really needed all the kind words. It is really difficult..I'm glad I have such a loving, supportive community.
  • slider728
    slider728 Posts: 1,494 Member
    You are not alone! I'd venture a guess that everyone on here has setbacks. I could fill a book with mine.

I've personally been where you are. About a year ago, I started Crossfit. I was a 250 pound fat guy working out at a Box with beautiful, muscular, toned men and women with bodies that should land them on a cover of a magazine. I wasn't as fast as they were running and I sure wasn't as strong as they were. When I started, I was racing my heart out just to not be in last place and many times I still was.

But each day was a little better than the one before. It wasn't long before I could keep up with the middle of the pack and I gradually could lift more. I wish I could've stuck with it (nagging injuries....one of my setbacks I'm trying to overcome).

I will go back one day and I am sure I'll be racing for last place again. However, I try to keep my eye on the prize, my final goal. I get there by looking forward and working hard to get there. I may be in last place today, but tomorrow I'll work hard again and soon I'll be able to do as good as many of the people there.

Keep your eye on your goal! It won't be easy but keep doing your best and you will be just as good as anyone else in your gym!
  • triciaperseveres
    triciaperseveres Posts: 4 Member
    You are not alone! I started Crossfit a year and a half ago. The hardest thing was walking in the front door. And I've already had one major setback that has taken me halfway back to where I started. Coming back to a healthy place from an unhealthy place takes growth and that's hard work!! Most of what is necessary to deal with is on the inside. It's gotta come out somewhere! Why not in tears and sweat on the gym floor?? You keep up the good work, sister. Tears of frustration never stopped anyone for long. You can do this.
  • stephc002
    stephc002 Posts: 24 Member
    edited January 2016
    This is my third day back after a 9 month setback!! I am asking myself the very same questions, tonight even! I get so angry at myself sometimes because I think of all the time I lost and how much better I could feel and look right now if I had those 9 months back (not to mention the last 40 yrs!) But....I have chosen to try and put that all behind me and start fresh. Will I have setbacks again? I'm sure of it...will I let them derail me from my new life goals...not this time dam*$t! Just keep fighting. I don't know if this is even a possibility for you, but counseling for my depression and anxiety the last couple months is helping me learn to accept myself the way I am, and to look at everything in a more positive light. Focus on what's good about you....my psychologist says that I will never be able to make permanent changes until I learn to love myself exactly as is....I swear I looked at her like she was nuts. Lol. It's really hard to go from self loathing to self love, but I am really working on it, and the changes are slow, but they are happening! Hang in there!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    It's okay
    I'm sure most of us have felt like that at the beginning. Don't give up though. This does get easier !
  • Itreadlightly
    Itreadlightly Posts: 87 Member
    A Yoga teacher said the greatest thing " honor your body for what it can do"
  • CourtLHM
    CourtLHM Posts: 181 Member
    It's good get upset. Cry. Let it out. Then get mad. Then let it motivate you. Repeat if necessary. But don't give up!! We're all here for ya!!! Ox
  • Frankilou25
    Frankilou25 Posts: 57 Member
    I've been there multiple times over the past few years, but as others have said sometimes it takes that breakdown to give you the motivation to keep going. Keep pushing and you will soon see your progress, whether its weight or inches loss and better still you will be finding that workout easier. Hardest thing is to start, but it will be worth it. Life is too short to be worrying about what's done.

Good luck! x
  • sadyia15
    sadyia15 Posts: 76 Member
    There's nothing wrong with not doin the full workout. You do as much as your body can take cos u dnt want to over do it. I've lost weight n still can't keep up sometimes. I have a break n carry on till I no I've had enough. Something's better than nothing. You still burnt calories with what u did do.
  • Sukisumi
    Sukisumi Posts: 96 Member
    As everyone has said, it's fine (and perfectly normal) to get upset at these things. I feel sick when I look at myself in the mirror. The important thing to remember is that you got up and tried! Who cares if you didn't finish your workout? You got up and started doing something to make a change for yourself and you should pat yourself on the back for that! =) Even if you do 5 mins the first time, then 10 the next, etc., you're still doing it! Every little helps and it all adds up in the end. xx
  • maddalenamassano
    maddalenamassano Posts: 6 Member
    Don't give up! Go on and keep the exercises and your plan! It has to be difficult and when you'll reach the goal you gave yourself you are going to be happy and you are going to remember how much you suffered, it's gonna be worth it!
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Do not give up! I promise if you keep going it will get better. I have been working out at least 3 times a week for the past 6 months and I'm now able to do things I couldn't dream of doing when I started (like 10 pushups in a row, holding a plank for 60 seconds, etc). Try not to compare yourself with other people. I'm surrounded by girls at the gym who are much stronger and thinner than me, but I have to remind myself that I am not competing with them, only with who I used to be.
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    edited January 2016
    arianafred wrote: »
    Time for honesty. Setback for me today..Had some sort of meltdown and a lot of tears during my workout this morning because I couldn't keep up. How could I let my body get to this point? Why did I never take care of myself sooner? I started crying so hard I had to stop my workout and now I just feel so worthless I don't want to keep going. Talk about a pity party.

Don't give up!

When I was 250lb's and tried working out for the first time, I couldn't even manage 10 minutes on my elliptical before having to get off. Talk about a reality check.

But I persevered and the rest is history.

Keep it up! Every extra step you make is a step closer to your goal. You got this!
  • scfarrant
    scfarrant Posts: 30 Member
    edited January 2016
    Sometimes crying helps. It's real. Crying for yourself is finding compassion for yourself, empathize with what you are going through. Cry it out if you need to.

Take it one step at a time with exercise. Don't be hard on yourself. Everyone finds exercise tough, and especially if you haven't been doing it much. Set yourself small and achievable goals and gradually build a week at a time. For example, I started off trying to swim for 15 minutes each time I went to the gym, then the next week 20, and now I can do 30 minutes in one session. Find some reassurance in gradual improvement! Also, find an exercise activity that you can enjoy, rather than forcing yourself to do something that clearly isn't your favourite. I like going to classes rather than gym floor. Find out what works for you and try to enjoy the exploration process.

Like everyone has said, don't give up. Take each day at a time. It does get better!

(PS - on a separate note...this week is a truly rotten week...Winter cold, post-christmas blues, back to work, low bank account...trust me, everyone is feeling it right now)