Birthday - Dumped - Struggling not to eat my feelings

Options
Gosh... way to start my birthday... the guy I was seeing texted me "happy birthday- sorry I've been so distant lately I just don't think I want to date you....hope you have a fantastic day today!" Yes- that is an honest to goodness text. I've been trying not to eat my emotions but being my birthday everyone wants to take me out or give me cupcakes or have drinks. I thought this day would be easy because I was motivated when I woke up...but now it's taking everything in me not to eat that cake and have that rum :( If I can get through this day without totally blowing my calories & fat then I can tell myself tomorrow is a new day!!!!

Replies

• mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What an *kitten*. He is the problem. Not you.
    Your attitude is perfect. Forget him. You will find better.
  • kathyshear
    kathyshear Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow. Ex doesn't sound like a winner. You can stay strong and not eat your emotions! You will feel so much better if you do! This year will be better! Happy birthday!
  • JP_909
    JP_909 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    That's pretty funny but super messed up. I hope you weren't seeing him long. That's a dick move. Happy Birthday to you btw!
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Oh brother! Look at it as you've lost a ton of weight all at once by being rid of him! Jerk!

You should pamper yourself. A soak in a bubble bath, manicure or something like that. Maybe meet a friend for dinner that fits nicely with your calorie goal?
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Straight up, he's a coward. What is it with people thinking it's okay to break up in a text? Blargh. I had it happen a couple years ago, a couple times in a row, and my opinion hasn't changed; it's a jackwagon move.

Be kind to yourself today. Do something that makes you happy, regardless of what it is. Not because it's your birthday. Not because some coward finally revealed today just how little he thought of you as a person. Because it's what you deserve - just like any other day.

And if what makes you happy today is a slice of cake and a drink, then so be it. Just account for it, log it, try to stick in the ballpark of your caloric goal for the day so you don't feel like a tire came off even when it didn't. If you haven't discovered the practice of calculating a rolling ten day weight average, I highly recommend it. It killed cold for me beating myself up if I don't have a "perfect" day calorie-wise.
  • angelamy1977
    angelamy1977 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you all- I know it's easy to feel sorry for myself- i just have been doing really well keeping with my goals and was preparing myself for today- just didn't realize I needed to prepare myself for being broken up with ....at like 7:30am. At least he could've texted me happy birthday and if he was still going to be an *kitten*.... waited until the end of my day so I could've enjoyed it. I'm trying not to let it bother me- but a happy birthday/you're dumped text isn't an easy pill to swallow. Trying to drink loads of water- I agreed to go out with friends & family for dinner.... Applebee's so I can eat off of their "healthy" menu :)
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened! Just think to yourself, "Who would want to date the kind of guy that would break up with a girl via text on her effing birthday? Nobody." Not you.

That said, it's your birthday. Love yourself, celebrate yourself. If you want to have some drinks, do so. Just get back on track tomorrow!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Gosh... way to start my birthday... the guy I was seeing texted me "happy birthday- sorry I've been so distant lately I just don't think I want to date you....hope you have a fantastic day today!" Yes- that is an honest to goodness text. I've been trying not to eat my emotions but being my birthday everyone wants to take me out or give me cupcakes or have drinks. I thought this day would be easy because I was motivated when I woke up...but now it's taking everything in me not to eat that cake and have that rum :( If I can get through this day without totally blowing my calories & fat then I can tell myself tomorrow is a new day!!!!

My jaw dropped when I read this. What a peach that guy is. Yeesh. It sounds like you are better off without him but I know that doesn't make you feel any better. Maybe look at this as getting a fresh start to your new year. Out with the old, in with the new. (I'll admit to being tempted to suggest a text that says something like "Sounds good. I've been thinking that I need to start this next year of my life by getting rid of last year's garbage.")

I have a friend who used to carpool to work with her husband. One day she dropped him off at his job, drove to hers, opened her email, and found one from her husband saying that he felt like they'd grown apart and he wanted a divorce. We later laughed at the ridiculousness, especially the part where he was confused about why she told him to find his own ride home that night.

Anyway, from me to you:

d05efa79d7e01236767c2bb88bcdb28a.jpg
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    F*** it. It's your birthday and you got dumped. Eat what you want, get drunk with some friends and forget about it.

You can start back on the wagon tomorrow.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday ... :)

And this is a perfect opportunity to get in a really good workout. Exercise all the frustration/anger/upset out! I've had some of my best workouts when I've been really upset.

Then enjoy the cake.
  • angelamy1977
    angelamy1977 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I knew venting on here would be the best for me! Thank you all for the kind words (and the reinforcement that this guy was nothing to get worked up about!!!) - this community is a wonderful place :)
  • Yvonnie16
    Yvonnie16 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    HE IS THE FAT, You were overwight with :) Thete you go you already lost a person worth of extra weight. HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND CELEBRATE WITH A DRINK. OR TWO. Make yourself awesome smoothies. And drinkeat your emotions. LOTS OF LOVE FROM A STRANGER :)
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'd go for a boxing workout and take a little satisfaction that what he actually did was give you a present that you'll appreciate with hindsight - sparing you from his future bullsh*t!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY! x
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!! I'm sorry someone was so callous toward you. It was cowardly to do that. I hope your day has improved, and that you have a fantastic year ahead.
  • briggsykim
    briggsykim Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Use this as an opportunity to be even more motivated. A broken heart is a great appetite suppressant .
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Happy Birthday!

Text message breakup?

Totally 100% NSFW...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb0s1AePP2g
  • ashbash813
    ashbash813 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    First of all, happy birthday! And second, I'm so sorry this happened to you. Guys can be really stupid. I just got out of a relationship a couple days ago and I ate a lot more chocolate than I should have. But I think it's important to take a day or two and relax a little bit maybe eat a little more than you usually would when you need to. Taking care of your mental health is important to. As long as you get back to working out and eating healthy a day of not eating the healthiest won't ruin your progress. I hope you're having a great birthday!
  • locslioness
    locslioness Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it gurl. Men ive been interested in have been treating me like garbage lately too. It's ok though because I have faith I will lose this weight and they won't be in MY league. Lets leave these losers in our dust along with the pounds
  • jusca
    jusca Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    man he was super crappy for not having the decency to wait another day to say that mess. sorry that happened. i hope something made you smiled on your birthday. happy birthday!!
  • DebraLMurphy
    DebraLMurphy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, what a jerk! But keep your faith in other people - there have been so many kind comments posted for you. And I say, do whatever you have to to stay on track today. Happy Birthday!