Low Sodium Foods

Options
Hey Friends,

I have major problems with Sodium... if I go over even by a little I gain weight for days... even trying to "flush" it with water, my body just does not like it... needless to say I have a problem eating my cals because there is so much sodium in everything...

Any suggestions on LOW sodium foods that I can add into my diet?

Thanks xoxoxo,
Michelle

Replies

• hydrosmak
    hydrosmak Posts: 16
    Options
    Yogurt
    Fruit
    Veggies
    Oatmeal
    Nuts (as long as salt isn't added)

These are things I eat everyday which allow me to be under my sodium goal regularly.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Only shop the outer edges of the grocery store and limit how much you go out to eat. Nothing pre-packaged, canned, etc.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Chicken, turkey, veggies, fruits :happy:
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Stick as closely as you can to NON-PROCESSED foods. Cook as much as you can from scratch and omit the salt. Watch labels of 'low fat' items. They are usually loaded with sodium! Good luck!
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    fresh foods are the best. Eat as clean as possible (no processed, boxed, or canned stuff) and you will be good. I know that is hard for people who are busy. If you cannot eat completely fresh, make sure you check the Nutrition Facts on your boxed/canned goods.
  • jpeebs88
    jpeebs88 Posts: 81
    Options
    Make sure you're also getting plenty of potassium rich foods. It tends to negate some of the effects of the sodium.
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a problem for me too but I figured out a neat trick to help me deal with it.

I'm allowed 1900 calories and like 2300 mg of sodium. So I learned that when shopping I just read the label and the sodium has to be equal to or less than the calories. It works pretty well.

It also makes it easy to cook because I can just prepare it knowing that because I didn't buy it with salt, I didn't add salt, then I know it's not going to have a lot of salt and I'm not going to go over my limit !

The best bread is Pepperidge Farm 15 grain. LOVE IT !!

I usually have 1/2 slice of bread with peanut butter or an egg for breakfast, Lunch is a piece of fish, and chicken and onions (my favorite) for dinner.

Most fresh meat isn't high in sodium (not sure about beef, I've pretty much cut it out in favor of chicken, fish, and turkey).

Use caution with veggies - suprisingly yes. I thought I was doing good with eating carrots and I found out they have twice as much salt as calories. Arghh.

Well that's what I've found that works for me.

i wish you well.

Eva
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    Fresh veggies and fruits. watch when you buy things like chicken/turkey breast and ground meats, some have added "broth" or salt water to make them look plumper and some ground meats have salty flavor added. Compare canned things to pick the one with the least amount of salt, and salad dressing!! that's a killer! I have a large supply of Mrs Dash seasonings that I use to jazz up all my low sodium foods.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Since I've been monitoring my sodium, I've been shocked at how much is in everything! Even bagged spinach! It's crazy...I make most of my food, so I've bought a ton of no-sodium seasonings, and have readjusted my taste buds not to miss the garlic salt I used to put in everything. Have been using more herbs and more apple cider vinegar as flavoring.

But as far as foods without...I've been using corn tortillas a bunch (10 mg sodium for 2 tortillas), make meals with egg white/veggie scramble, or black beans (cooked from dry beans they have however much sodium you add).

I'm still trying to find some other good foods without sodium too...