Shakeology or not?

Options
I've heard such great success stories about Shakeology, 21 day fix, Piyo, etc. But can't justify the cost of the shakes. I was given a sample and it was delicious and filling...but...not sure if it's worth the expense? Any opinions or success (or non-success stories) out there?

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Not worth it. Sub par ingredients, proprietary blends (meaning they don't have to tell you how much of what), expensive, and an MLM scheme that profits only those at the top by incentivising users to become salespeople. In addition to that, "coaches" are not required to have any fitness knowledge and only receive training in how to sell more effectively.

*edited to correct stupid spelling errors.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Save your money, eat real food :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Save your money, eat real food :)

THIS
  • us5sampsonz
    us5sampsonz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I manage a Credit Union and rarely take lunch breaks (not by choice). I need something quick and easy to get something in for lunch while still working?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Thanks! I manage a Credit Union and rarely take lunch breaks (not by choice). I need something quick and easy to get something in for lunch while still working?

Make a bunch of nutritious wraps/burritos. I sometimes make a weeks worth at a time.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Take 10 minutes and eat something!! Bring wraps, salads, soup, oatmeal! Supplement with a yogurt and some fruit or veggies! All are quick eats I prepack lunches for the week every Sunday, so I can just grab and go in the morning. Then a quick heat-up if needed and voila! Lunch :)
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    The simplest solution to that problem would be to pre-make and bring lunches with you. This way you can control calories and macros while still eating something that you enjoy.

Food prep in this way is very effective and can even be done in advance if you don't have time of a day, it would just require you to plan a few meals and do all the prep for the week at once... provided you make something that will keep that long, but then again, you can always make something that you can freeze and let thaw throughout the day or microwave.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Not worth it. Sub par ingredients, proprietary blends (meaning they don't have to tell you how much of what), expensive, and an MLM scheme that profits only those at the top by incentivising users to become salespeople. In addition to that, "coaches" are not required to have any fitness knowledge and only receive training in how to sell more effectively.

*edited to correct stupid spelling errors.

^ This, exactly. Every word of it.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    My understanding is if you really like the shakes, you can get them for cheap on eBay and you won't have a pushy "coach" all up in your bizznass.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My understanding is if you really like the shakes, you can get them for cheap on eBay and you won't have a pushy "coach" all up in your bizznass.

This seems dicey to me.... dicier than shakeology's sleazy MLM snake oil.
  • ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Warrior food protein is a good place to start! My hubby makes fresh green juice (then freezes it into cubes)and adds to coconut water and a scoop for his breakfast. Shakeology has crappy ingredients and highly processed.

http://foodbabe.com/2012/12/13/the-healthiest-protein-powders-on-the-market/
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

I get it. I used to work at a bank, so I understand how busy lunch time can be. But you're best bet will be to food prep or bring nice and filling snacks. Or even find a cheaper alternative for a meal replacement. I believe EAS makes a meal replacement shake and if need be you can always grab a Slim Fast.
  • bcurryAU
    bcurryAU Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of Shakeology and it definitely filled me up. However, the cost did get to be too much. I now use other store bought protein powders but haven't been able to find one that tastes as "chocolately" as the Vegan Chocolate Shakeology. If you can afford it, its worth the try.
  • dylanroy
    dylanroy Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    There are plenty of other meal replacement shakes to choose from also if you are dead set on shakes. I have a roommate who has one every morning that he buys from GNC. They taste pretty good, but I would rather use up my calories on something like eggs.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Alan Aragon
    May 9, 2014 ·

I regularly get questions about this or that MLM product, whether it be Advocare, Herbalife, Visalus, Isagenix, or Whateverthehell. I am yet to come across a health/nutrition-related MLM company that doesn't economize production costs with sub-par nutritional formulations, especially the protein-containing products (for example, MLMs love to use soy as the first ingredient or fructose as the second ingredient). Adding insult to injury, these protein-based products cost at least double that of the leading non-MLM brands that actually use higher-quality protein formulations. To top it all off, these mediocre MLM products are hyped as the best things on the market, and of course they rely on the emotional triggers of zealous testimonials rather than the weight of the scientific evidence. So yeah, my opinion of MLM-based nutritional products is LOL (yes, let the hurt flow through your butt over that). As for the MLM business model, here's a fun read:
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    randeortiz wrote: »
    Warrior food protein is a good place to start! My hubby makes fresh green juice (then freezes it into cubes)and adds to coconut water and a scoop for his breakfast. Shakeology has crappy ingredients and highly processed.

Please don't link to that idiot's site, or listen to a single thing she has to say

ETA Shakeology is still overpriced garbage
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    not.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Do you have a fridge and microwave - batch cook at weekends and bring in decent meals
    If not prepare your lunch the day before
    Tupperware is your friend

Also - no to shakeology - it's rubbish .. I'm with Aragon (I wish)
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    randeortiz wrote: »

Please don't link to that idiot's site, or listen to a single thing she has to say

ETA. Shakeology is still overpriced garbage
  • FunkyTobias
    Options