Pills and supplements

Options
Has anyone ever had any luck with pills and supplements? If you have what was it called

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money, honey!
  • gcdejean84
    gcdejean84 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes I was taking stuff to help speed up my metabolism...it really didn't do *kitten*
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Basically, if you can get it without a doctor's prescription it doesn't do a darned thing, and if you need a prescription, it ought only be taken in circumstances where your weight is a medical issue and even then, it has risks and side effects that need to be carefully weighed.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Protein Powder!!!!

X1000000000
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Probably not going to get any support for that kind of thing on here
  • smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Probably not going to get any support for that kind of thing on here
    Ha ha! Very true! I love Optimal Nutrition's protein powders and Liporidex line of fitness formulas.
  • gcdejean84
    gcdejean84 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice
    Yes I not gonna waste anymore money on unnecessary pills
  • strix99
    strix99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A couple things, it depends what you mean by supplements, to my mind protein powder/shakes doesn't really count, its really just food.

If you have your diet in order ( desired calorie count, reasonable spread of macronutrients, not at a severe deficit any micronutrients, and have your meals distributed in a sane way) and have your workout in order (actually working out, good intensity, adequate rest, and progression over time) and of course getting enough sleep and staying hydrated, one all of that is taken care of then you can look at supplements. A lack of any of the prior will have a larger impact than supplements.

Also, one of the other thins to be aware of is there is a massive range of quality among supplements.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    gcdejean84 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever had any luck with pills and supplements? If you have what was it called
    Losing weight and keeping it off requires a change in the way you eat: less calories going in than expended. There is no magic fairy dust that will do that for you. It is an appealing thought though, and that is why, collectively, people spend millions every year on useless pills, only to fail outright or rapidly gain back any weight lost.
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    strix99 wrote: »
    A couple things, it depends what you mean by supplements, to my mind protein powder/shakes doesn't really count, its really just food.

If you have your diet in order ( desired calorie count, reasonable spread of macronutrients, not at a severe deficit any micronutrients, and have your meals distributed in a sane way) and have your workout in order (actually working out, good intensity, adequate rest, and progression over time) and of course getting enough sleep and staying hydrated, one all of that is taken care of then you can look at supplements. A lack of any of the prior will have a larger impact than supplements.

Also, one of the other thins to be aware of is there is a massive range of quality among supplements.

Well said. There are some good ones out there, but also you still need to be doing everything else with them. They will not do the work for you, and you need to be cautious about the ingredients in them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Basically, if you can get it without a doctor's prescription it doesn't do a darned thing, and if you need a prescription, it ought only be taken in circumstances where your weight is a medical issue and even then, it has risks and side effects that need to be carefully weighed.

Yup. Here's my new favorite thread on Phentermine: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've had luck with whey protein to supplement my protein needs. I've had luck supplementing with D3 in that I'm no longer deficient.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Like others, I think the only supplement really NEEDED would be protein powder for those who cannot meet their requirements.
    Also, SOMETIMES a pre-workout or caffeine supplement for those with stressful and long days that need the boost.