Last 15lbs - Questions on Calories - Help Please!

Options
I have been trying to lose the last 15lbs and am stuck! I haven't lost any weight in 4 weeks. I normally gain 2lbs and then lose the same 2lbs. I have already lost 30lbs with barely any exercise. I began strength training 5 weeks ago and since then, I have stalled. Could I not be eating enough calories?

I am 5'2, 140lbs eating 1,200 calories a day. I often burn 400 calories 3-4x a week but don't eat those exercise calories back. Should I be eating those calories back? Should I change my goal on here to lose 0.5lbs/week instead of 1lb/week (what it is currently)?

Need your input! Thanks :smile:

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight you're eating too much. So no need to increase calories. Are you weighing your food? You need to weigh and log everything to make sure you're actually eating 1200.
  • Beesknees22
    Beesknees22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can't go by weight alone. Measure your body fat %. Since you said you started to stall out around the same time you started weight training, you could be gaining muscle and still losing fat but this would not necessarily show up on a scale.
  • smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Most of the time when you start strength training, you actually will see this happen. As you build muscle, you might weigh the same but change your body composition. Are you starting to see a difference in the way you look? Or how your clothing fits you? Have you considered body fat measurement instead?

Do not get discouraged! Strength training is da bomb!
  • smis92103
    Options
    You can't go by weight alone. Measure your body fat %. Since you said you started to stall out around the same time you started weight training, you could be gaining muscle and still losing fat but this would not necessarily show up on a scale.

Yup, yup, yup!
  • bcurryAU
    bcurryAU Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight you're eating too much. So no need to increase calories. Are you weighing your food? You need to weigh and log everything to make sure you're actually eating 1200.

Yes, I do weigh my food and make sure I'm inputting the right serving sizes.

smis92103 wrote: »
    Most of the time when you start strength training, you actually will see this happen. As you build muscle, you might weigh the same but change your body composition. Are you starting to see a difference in the way you look? Or how your clothing fits you? Have you considered body fat measurement instead?

Do not get discouraged! Strength training is da bomb!

Since strength training, I went from a size 8 to a size 6 but no weight loss. I haven't weighed myself this past week (trying hard not to obsess over the scale) but have been measuring myself. I did lose 1in off my waist this past week but I wasn't sure if it was from water retention/bloating. I do feel better/stronger since strength training. I guess I was worried that I wasn't eating enough because of my 400 calorie burn during my workouts.

When I first started losing weight, I didn't workout at all. I just limited my calories and have had to lower them to 1200 on MFP. I feel full from that amount of food and feel like I have enough energy for my workouts, so no need to eat back the calories I burn right?
  • smis92103
    Options
    bcurryAU wrote: »
    Since strength training, I went from a size 8 to a size 6 but no weight loss. I haven't weighed myself this past week (trying hard not to obsess over the scale) but have been measuring myself. I did lose 1in off my waist this past week but I wasn't sure if it was from water retention/bloating. I do feel better/stronger since strength training. I guess I was worried that I wasn't eating enough because of my 400 calorie burn during my workouts.

When I first started losing weight, I didn't workout at all. I just limited my calories and have had to lower them to 1200 on MFP. I feel full from that amount of food and feel like I have enough energy for my workouts, so no need to eat back the calories I burn right?

OMG! I would be super excited if I was you. After all it is not about the number but about how we look and feel right? I am the same weight as a year ago and my body looks completely different and I am 3 sized down. At some point, if you exercise right, the scale does not matter at all. Good job!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    You are getting smaller. Isn't that your goal? Don't get hung up on the number on the scale. Would you be happier to weigh less but be a bigger size?
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Great job! I have a goal weight of 140, and will be so happy if I come close to a size 6 in the future. A bit of recomp will have to happen for me. It really sounds like you are doing it right. I would keep lifting heavy and toss the scale if I were you. The human scale not the food scale. You are going to want to bump those cals a bit eventually so you can build more awesome muscles!!
  • bcurryAU
    bcurryAU Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your support and help! I'll just keep on with my strength training and lose the scale