How diet soda causes you to gain weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've read the studies, and they're definitely in need of further research before anyone comes to any hard and fast conclusions. From my own experience? When I was 15, I lost 135 lbs while drinking diet sodas exclusively. Right now? I've lost 64 lbs and I drink 2-3 diet sodas a day. Of course, I also drink 70+ oz a day of water. The ADA, Mayo Clinic, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, and numerous other reputable organizations recommend diet sodas for folks like me (diabetics), and, in my world, reputable organizations usually trump youtube videos when it comes to getting my science. Not saying that there's nothing to this, but rather that the evidence doesn't seem to bear out a widespread or generalized effect. I think the best way to deal with the conflicting information is to look to yourself and see how these products affect YOU, personally. Ditch them for a week or so, see what happens. Maybe you are affected, and if so, make the changes that work for you.

Kris
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    If you see above, I couldn't watch the video seeing as I don't have access at work. BUT, how in the world does the pH make you gain weight??

For years I've wondered about pH balance in the body. From my understanding if your body is too acidic your organs don't function 100%.

One thing that I've not seen much on here, is about pH balance in the body.

Things I've heard/read
    If your body is too acidic, this means your fluids are also more acidic than they should be.
    Your body produces cholesterol to line the insides of your veins and arteries.

Some people with Cancer have pH balance of ~5.5.

Edit: I just watched the video. I test myself with Litmus papers, and also take a veggie Greens powder to help with my pH balance.
    Some of us might remember about Litmus papers and testing when we were in school, but somewhere along the way nobody had interest in it anymore.
    Everybody who has an aquarium knows they have to keep the water at a certain pH or the fish will die.

This is one way a person can test themselves. People will get a different reading if you are testing saliva, urine, or blood.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Someone, cliffs from the video?

I'm at work and have no speakers...

Partial coles notes
    Diet soda contains Phosphoric acid is right next to battery acid on the pH scale.
    It causes leeching of minerals to help combat the acidity in the body.

The thyroid gland is what controls metabolism, and needs iodine or it can't function properly.
    Iodine is one of the minerals that gets leeched out because of the body constantly always drinking an acidic drink.

If you have under active thyroid, then your metabolism isn't functioning properly.
    Which is what can cause weight gain.
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My dad's been drinking almost a 2 liter of diet coke a day since he was in his 20's...He's now 60 and fit as a fiddle. Now...I don't know whats going on inside his body from all of that....lol. However, he is not overweight. He was overweight for a period of time and just changed his diet *except for the diet coke* and he lost all the weight and has maintained for years.
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options
    Studies show that sweeteners such as aspartame used in diet sodas have no effect on blood glucose, insulin, IGF-1, GIP, etc.

How about some publication abstracts to back this up?