Feeling Like the World is Out to Get You

Options
Hey,

I decided about 4 1/2 months ago that it was time that I stop making excuses and get this weight off!!! I have tried many times before and always seem to have trouble. This time I lost a good 15lb and was on my way to success with the help of a nutrition coach (from a company I like because they encourage healthy food and exercise instead of peddling products). I was feeling 100% and on my way, until......

My nutrition coach is leaving and I didn't have success with the other one there. I don't have the money to continue seeing her anyway. My back decided to flare up (old injury) to the point where there has been no exercise possible for the last three weeks, since I can barely walk without pain. My physiotherapist left the practice she was at and I am not sure what I think of my new one yet.

I am an emotional eater and food is definitely my big hurdle (hence the nutrition coach for moral support). I know what to do but my emotions get the better of me sometimes. I have gained back about 5lb and I want to stop this trend NOW! So I am back on MFP and am here for good this time, I have said it before, but this is my time.

If anyone out there thinks we can help each other stick to our goals on this journey, add me. I work shift work so I am on here a lot, just maybe not during the day.

Cheers,
Mer

Replies

• MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    stay strong on your journey. Keep your goal in focus and you will get there. There are hurdles and obstacles everyone has to pass! You just need to see how much stronger you are.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Couple of thoughts:

1) MFP is free. Just eat to your calorie allowance every day and you'll lose weight. Money is not needed, build a support network here if that's what you need. MFP has a social aspect to it for this very reason.

2) Injuries happen. They suck. How about focusing on what you can do, rather than what you can't. You can control what you eat and this is 90% of where your weightloss results are going to come from. Move as much as you can so that the pain doesn't go beyond a 3/10 and control your intake. First step is to log everything dispassionately and see where you routinely go off track - then try to build resistance to the situations and behaviours that cause you to go off track.

3) The world isn't out to get you - that's a paranoid interpretation of random events that are unlikely to be connected...
  • MonkeysForSale
    MonkeysForSale Posts: 11 Member
    Options

... I lost a good 15lb and was on my way to success with the help of a nutrition coach

Your nutrition coach has obviously given you solid advice.

Out of interest, after 4.5 months, what advice do you think they would continue to offer that you don't already know?

You've done really well so far, by the way! Don't let these hurdles stop you.

• findingtherealme2016
    Options
    Thanks for all of the support everyone! I think I just needed to "say" it "out loud". My nutrition coach was like an extra layer of accountability as well as helping me jump (mostly emotional) hurdles that I would run into.
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    The big thing you should try to do is find another person to be your accountability partner. It's easy to have 100s of "accountability partners" on MFP, but to have one that you can physically see and speak to will make it much easier. Do you have a gym nearby you could join, or maybe some friends that know you're trying to lose weight and would be supportive?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Yoga has helped me with emotional eating.

How Yoga Can Help End Binge Eating

One breath at a time, end the suffering of binge-eating

...According to Juliano, yoga gives people the skills to stay with what they are feeling, rather than turning to food to escape. People who are obese or suffering from eating disorders have a tendency to dissociate from their bodies -- to choose not to feel what they are feeling when they are angry, anxious, or sad. Often, they turn to food to numb themselves. "There's this sense that I have to feel better right now, " Juliano says. "There is a complete intolerance of what is happening right now." This need to escape unpleasant feelings triggers a binge.

When you eat to escape what you are feeling, you lose touch with the experience of eating, as well. This is one reason binges can spiral out of control. "You have no understanding that you are full, way past full, into uncomfortable, because you're so out of it," Juliano explains. "You have no connection to what you're eating. You're eating a pint of ice cream and can't even taste it. Or you go to make yourself some toast and before you know it, half the loaf is gone."

Mindful yoga directly challenges the habit of dissociating from your body and your present-moment experience. "The whole point of yoga is to stay connected to your body. You learn it through practice, through breathing, and through breathing through the sensations."

Read more: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201007/how-yoga-can-help-end-binge-eating
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I sincerely hope that one day soon, you will discover that your success does not depend on someone other than YOU!! Changing nutrition coaches doesnt change YOU - changing physiotherapists doesnt change YOU! YOU are the one in the drivers seat, the others are simply passers by. Seize control of your own destiny!! You can do this! (sounds of cheering fans swell in the background!)