Weight loss with injury

Options
long story short - have hurt my back badly deadlifting. Looking to be out of the gym for couple of weeks :( when I'm back it will be low impact exercise. Will I lose weight? I've struggled to lose half a pound since the new yr with 1500 cals and 5xweek gym sessions

Replies

• LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a caloric deficit every day, you will lose weight. How much is entirely up to you and what is best for your body. Don't expect miracles, but you'll see a slow and steady loss if you keep eating healthy. Technically, you don't actually have to exercise to lose, but it is good for your health overall to do so.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    LHWhite903 wrote: »
    As long as you have a caloric deficit every day, you will lose weight. How much is entirely up to you and what is best for your body. Don't expect miracles, but you'll see a slow and steady loss if you keep eating healthy. Technically, you don't actually have to exercise to lose, but it is good for your health overall to do so.

Yep. Exercise isn't necessary to lose weight, but it's good for your overall health and it's another way to create a calorie deficit.

OP, you can try gentle yoga or something like that.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    If you don't over eat you'll lose weight, just at a slower pace.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    It's all calories, just don't fall into the problem I had, I was depressed I couldn't work out so I just ate whatever I wanted, I don't know why but it happened and snowballed into 6 months of stupid choices...
  • lacruiser2016
    lacruiser2016 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I sympathize...am 24 days out from a total left shoulder replacement. So no upper body at all. I have been able to use a recumbent bike and walk on a treadmill -- would the recumbent work for you? Perhaps if your back were completely supported? Only you and your doc can make that decision! If not, advice already given is good. Be patient -- it won't last forever!
  • jimigym
    jimigym Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you measured your current BMI? It could be that at the level you are at now with 1500 calories a day along with your exercise routine you may be losing fat but also building lean muscle mass which weighs more than fat. You should also measure yourself with a tape measure. What are your goals?
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I've had a few setbacks as well in my past as well as currently dealing with a few issues. What I do is find exercises that do not utilize the affected area or area's. I also do more cardio. Recently I have started doing more elliptical machine time, and I keep it at a lower resistance i.e. level as to not aggravate my injuries. Walking is also good too.
    When you do get back into the gym start really light and insure that you have the correct form down 100% before going to a heavier weight. It's all about the form.
    Also as others have said cut back your intake to have a deficit, just don't go crazy like cutting to extremely low calories. 1500 should really be the lowest but that's just my opinion.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    jimigym wrote: »
    Have you measured your current BMI? It could be that at the level you are at now with 1500 calories a day along with your exercise routine you may be losing fat but also building lean muscle mass which weighs more than fat. You should also measure yourself with a tape measure. What are your goals?

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. Five pounds of muscle weighs exactly the same amount as five pounds of fat. Muscle is more dense than fat so five pounds of fat takes up less space in your body than five pounds of fat does.

Bottom line, be diligent about eating in a deficit. Weigh everything and be accurate with your calorie intake. As long as you are eating in a deficit, the weight will continue to go down.

You might try some alternate forms of exercise - swimming and water exercises are zero impact. You can get a good cardio workout. You may still be able to walk, even if it is at a slow pace. Gentle stretching might also help. There are some good internet stretching for back health videos out there.
  • fattymcfatterson2121
    Options
    Thanks guys - made an appointment with an osteopath on Monday so will hopefully get a diagnosis and also ask what exercises I can do. Docs are a bit rubbish here - just give you anti infammitory medication and tell you to rest.

I will need to work on my diet - for whatever reason i am much stricter on my diet when I am also working out - probably because I don't want to undo all my hard work. Just hope I don't slip into spiral of feeling sorry for myself and comfort eating which started a little but I have pulled myself back.

I have quite a busy social life which bases itself around food - I have managed to balance this so far by eating less calories during the day if I am going out in the evening and getting an extra gym session in but I will need to manage this now.

Thanks again for the help and support - the whole reaoson I am on MFP.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    jimigym wrote: »

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. Five pounds of muscle weighs exactly the same amount as five pounds of fat. Muscle is more dense than fat so five pounds of fat takes up less space in your body than five pounds of fat does.

Bottom line, be diligent about eating in a deficit. Weigh everything and be accurate with your calorie intake. As long as you are eating in a deficit, the weight will continue to go down.

You might try some alternate forms of exercise - swimming and water exercises are zero impact. You can get a good cardio workout. You may still be able to walk, even if it is at a slow pace. Gentle stretching might also help. There are some good internet stretching for back health videos out there.

It's like saying "what weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks?", a pound is a pound. A pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same, but fat takes up more space than muscle. That is why people like the Rock are considered obese by BMI standards. Of course, people like the Rock are very rare.