Diagnosis of type 2 diabetes

Options
hi there I m new to this app I have 70lb to loose ....I have just been diagnosed with diabetes hoping to make some new friend s who are also on weight loss path xx

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I suggest you joined one of the MFP groups for Diabetes type 2. You can find at the group option, dark blue banner above.
    here is a link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group
    I wish you the best on managing your Diabetes
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Many, many people report a reversal of this diagnosis when they lose serious amounts of weight.
  • GrandadRugRat
    GrandadRugRat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what I am intending to do. Been type 2 for 5 years and need to reverse it. Just finding my way around this app for the minute.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Many, many people report a reversal of this diagnosis when they lose serious amounts of weight.

That is good to know. I just found out I am prediabetic yesterday. I know it is because I've gained 20lbs since last June despite my working out everyday. CICO is 100% true so now that I've gotten that news I am very determined to get this weight off!

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I followed the low carb plan in Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, and my BG is normal again. Great book!

Good luck.
  • crystalv1530
    crystalv1530 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was also just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes as well as hypothyroidism. I'm determined to not become insulin dependent! I just joined on Monday and i need to lose 50 pounds. I Wish you good luck.. We can kick diabetes @$$
  • douglemite2004
    douglemite2004 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Lovely to meet you I am just getting to grips with it all so much to learn xx
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ejinvt wrote: »

This is exactly what happened to me when I was diagnosed 20+ years ago. Unfortunately, I have not kept the weight off, and now I take tons of insulin each day (which makes me gain weight!) My advice to you is find a way to lose it and do not let yourself go back. It will be the best thing you can do for yourself.

This has been my experience with family members. They lost, reversed, and regained. I agree with ejinvt that the key is changing habits, learning new habits and losing in a way that includes the learning necessary to keep weight off forever.
    Join that T2 group mentioned above and good luck!
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @douglemite2004 - you can get this under control. My M.D. Diagnosed me with type 2 in August 2014. Since then I have been exercising and following a fairly low carb plan (maximum carbs per meal 30, max per day 90). Over this program I have been faithful for months and then had rocky periods for a few weeks, then getting back on track - in other words I have put in a lot of good work, but I have been far from perfect. I have reaped the benefits in spite of my less than perfect effort. So far I have lost 53 pounds. I have about 45 - 50 more pounds to go. My A1Cs have come down right to the top end of normal and my fasting blood sugar is normal.

I just want you to know there are many people who report experience like mine. Losing weight, regular exercise and keeping carbs lower changes the Type 2 picture. I encourage you to look at what has worked for others and know that you are in control of the future of your health. Best of luck!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lovely to meet you I am just getting to grips with it all so much to learn xx

Yes, there is much to learn. Unfortunately there is as much garbage out there as there is good information so the best thing to do is find a good health care team to advise you. Are you in the US? Most insurance companies will pay for a certain number of classes (usually run by doctors or Nurse Practitioners who are Certified Diabetic Educators) and consults with a Registered Dietician. If you have these options, take them!

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with an A1C of 7.3. First I was put on metformin but my kidneys did not like it so we switched to glipizide. I also started losing weight and monitoring my total carbs, keeping them to less than 180 g per day, which was the amount my doctor recommends as a maximum for T2Dm. Within 6 months, my A1C was down to 5.6 and I was off the meds 2 months after that. My A1C was 5.0 in November so my T2Dm is completely managed.

What I have learned:
    • Diabetics need to reduce carbs, but most do not need to go low carb or all the way to keto
    • I do not need 2 slices of bread to make a satisfying sandwich, one is plenty
    • Sugar is just a carb and does not need to be monitored separately (except for those who need insulin)
    • Berries are lower carb than apples, bananas, citrus, etc. so I can still get my fruit fix daily
    • Turnips are great substitutes for potatoes in soups and stews
    • Juices are a big carb hit. Eat the fruit instead
    • It is easy to eat out when losing and monitoring carbs. Either plan for it or be willing to not eat everything on your plate.

The most useful bit of advice I was given when I first started was: you are not making a big change in your life, you are making a series of little changes. Change one thing, make it a habit, then change another, and another, . . .

58841349.png
  • ForMe2No
    ForMe2No Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I don't remember when I was diagnosed but it was probably around 5 years or more ago. Bread is my weakness. you don't have to give up carbs or go on some low carb diet. Everything in moderation. April 2015 my A1C had gone up to 10 from 7 within in 4 months because I had started drinking soda again. So I cut out soda and iced coffees and was actually monitoring my sodium intake more than my carbs. Next time I saw my DR four months later my A1 C was back down to 6. Here we are 9 months later and just two weeks ago my DR took me off the diabetic medication (5.6 A1 C) and cholesterol. I'm still on meds for hypertension but they have been drastically reduced and I expect to stop taking those within the next few weeks. I have lost 86lbs. I still have at least 30 lbs to lose. I still eat some type of bread almost everyday but rarely eat rice or pasta. I eat a banana almost everyday. If you drink lots of water and get at least 30 minutes of exercise most days and watch your portions you can still eat the things that you like. Good luck to you and feel free to send me a friend request.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Welcome :)
    I too found MFP when I got diagnosed with Type 2 (mid 2012) & was put on Metformin (also had hypertension & on 2 meds and 2 for chol/triglyceride issues).
    I did not go no carb or drastically cut sugar ...I did pay attention to my carbs/sugars/sodium and kept my calories & other macros in check. I ate less, I moved more...
    I lost the weight, am no longer on ANY meds and NO longer have DM, HTN or chol/triglyceride issues.
    bkdjzsr1y10f.png
  • douglemite2004
    douglemite2004 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow that's amazing well done :-)
  • kamily828
    kamily828 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in July of last year. My blood sugar was so high, the meter said HI. After reading the instructions, I found out it said that if your sugar is 500+ .
    I immediately started on a low carb high protein diet.