How to lose 2 pounds per week?

maidengirl_
maidengirl_ Posts: 283 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all,

I started my weight loss journey over a month ago. So far, I have lost 6 pounds (42 more to go). I have reduced my calorie intake to 1500 calories with at least 30 minutes to an hour of physical activity (workout dvds, walking, treadmill, weight training) and I still am only losing 1.2-1.7 pounds per week. I can't seem to get over the 1 pound threshold and consistently lose 2 pounds a week to see results. Is there anything I can do to maximize results? This week, I am reducing my calorie intake to 1422 (current weight 183) to see if I see results. Any tips would be helpful.

Replies

• srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    1.2-1.7 is a healthy range. Anything more than that is generally unhealthy (unless you have over 100 lbs to lose). I lost 30 lbs and I was losing about 1.5/wk.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    With only 42 lbs to go, a pound a week is a perfectly reasonable and healthy rate of weight loss. A 2 lbs per week rate would likely leave you undernourished.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited January 2016
    Why the rush?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Hi all,

I started my weight loss journey about a month ago. So far, I have lost 6 pounds (42 more to go). I have reduced my calorie intake to 1500 calories with at least 30 minutes to an hour of physically activity (workout dvds, walking, treadmill, weight training) and I still am only losing 1.2-1.7 pounds per week. I can't seem to get over the 1 pound threshold and consistently lose 2 pounds a week to see results. Is there anything I can do to maximize results? This week, I am reducing my calorie intake to 1422 (current weight 183) to see if I see results. Any tips would be helpful.

You're not heavy enough to maintain a 2 lb per week loss rate. Stop thinking that "losing 1-2 pounds per week is safe" means "everybody can lose 2 pounds per week." It simply isn't true.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited January 2016
    So, the 2 pounds per week weight loss is only recommended for those who have 75 pounds or more to lose.

With only needing to lose a total of 58 pounds (the 6 you've lost, plus the 42 you still have to lose), you're better off aiming to lose 1 to 1.5 pounds a week. You'd have to cut your calories drastically or exercise like crazy to create the deficit to be able to lose 2 pounds a week (outside of water weight losses).

Edit: to fix my spelling goof.
  • maidengirl_
    Why the rush?

I am seeing the results on the scale but physically, I am not seeing results.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Hi all,

I started my weight loss journey over a month ago. So far, I have lost 6 pounds (42 more to go). I have reduced my calorie intake to 1500 calories with at least 30 minutes to an hour of physical activity (workout dvds, walking, treadmill, weight training) and I still am only losing 1.2-1.7 pounds per week. I can't seem to get over the 1 pound threshold and consistently lose 2 pounds a week to see results. Is there anything I can do to maximize results? This week, I am reducing my calorie intake to 1422 (current weight 183) to see if I see results. Any tips would be helpful.

That's a perfectly good range for the amount of weight you have to lose...you're not heavy enough to consistently hit a 2 Lb per week mark...it doesn't sound like a lot, but it's very aggressive and actually quite a bit....

Here's a visual for you and other lurkers with unrealistic expectations...

tumblr_lo6af7e15Y1qeh28mo1_5001.jpg
  • maidengirl_
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    So, the 2 pounds per week weight loss is only recommended for those who have 75 pounds or more to lose.

With only needing to lose a total of 58 pounds (the 6 you've lost, plus the 42 you still have to lose), you're better off aiming to lose 1 to 1.5 pounds a week. You'd have to cut your calories drastically or exercise like crazy to create the deficit to be able to lose 2 pounds a week (outside of water weight losses).

Really? I didn't know that. So my weight loss is spot on then?? I just thought I wasn't being active enough. I wasn't expecting the biggest loser numbers because I know those numbers aren't accurate but I thought 2 pounds per week was attainable even at my current weight. I appreciate the feedback!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Why the rush?

It takes a while for your eyes to catch up. It takes about 15 pounds (sometimes more, sometimes less) before you can realize a difference in yourself. Just keep going along and the physical changes will happen.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Why the rush?

If you need to SEE results then you need to measure your body as well as weight, most of the time you don't see drastic differences until you lose 10+ pounds. Keep on doing what your are doing. Don't cut your calories until you HAVE to, when weight loss slows or stops.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

Really? I didn't know that. So my weight loss is spot on then?? I just thought I wasn't being active enough. I wasn't expecting the biggest loser numbers because I know those numbers aren't accurate but I thought 2 pounds per week was attainable even at my current weight. I appreciate the feedback!

Attainable and attainable in a healthy manner are two different things :)
  • cracket806
    cracket806 Posts: 1 Member
    I think you are doing great I have forth to go and have a hard time getting one per week and I exercise five times a week cardio not counting strength training with around 1200 to 1400 a day. So be happy you are making it.
  • maidengirl_
    Why the rush?

If you need to SEE results then you need to measure your body as well as weight, most of the time you don't see drastic differences until you lose 10+ pounds. Keep on doing what your are doing. Don't cut your calories until you HAVE to, when weight loss slows or stops.

I have taken body measurements as well. I will remeasure 30 days from the date of those initial measurements to see the difference. As for cutting calories, I have been changing my calorie goal for every week of weight loss. Not sure if this is normal to do. Like if, I lose 1.2 pounds or so, I change my goal to match my current weight for that week. I'm new to weight loss.
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member

Hijacking a little bit here - does that mean that as you get closer to your goal, you should decrease your lbs per week. I started off with 110 lbs to lose and have 68 more to go, should I still aim at 2lbs per week even though I've got less than 75 to lose now?

Sorry, just wondering :blush:
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2016
    parfia wrote: »

Hijacking a little bit here - does that mean that as you get closer to your goal, you should decrease your lbs per week. I started off with 110 lbs to lose and have 68 more to go, should I still aim at 2lbs per week even though I've got less than 75 to lose now?

Yes.

A good rule of thumb is:
    75+ lbs to lose: 2 lbs per week
    50-75 lbs to lose: 1.5 lbs per week
    20-50 lbs to lose: 1 lb per week
    < 20 lbs to lose: < 1 lb per week

Note that those are 'average' pounds per week. Don't get discouraged or think that exactly that will happen every week. For example, a 6 week period for an average 1 lb per week loss, more likely than not looks something like this:

week 1: -3 lbs
    week 2: 0 lbs
    week 3: - 1lb
    week 4: + 2 lbs
    week 5: -3 lbs
    week 6: -1 lb
  • maidengirl_

Yes.

A good rule of thumb is:

Simple and awesome! Thank you!
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Why the rush?

The are 2 kinds of fat viseral around your organs/muscles and subconscious under your skin. Viseral fat is dangerous and while losing it will have a smaller impact in physical change. If you are losing weight but doesn't seem physically noticeable just remember it's still better for you.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Hi all,

I started my weight loss journey about a month ago. So far, I have lost 6 pounds (42 more to go). I have reduced my calorie intake to 1500 calories with at least 30 minutes to an hour of physically activity (workout dvds, walking, treadmill, weight training) and I still am only losing 1.2-1.7 pounds per week. I can't seem to get over the 1 pound threshold and consistently lose 2 pounds a week to see results. Is there anything I can do to maximize results? This week, I am reducing my calorie intake to 1422 (current weight 183) to see if I see results. Any tips would be helpful.

You're not heavy enough to maintain a 2 lb per week loss rate. Stop thinking that "losing 1-2 pounds per week is safe" means "everybody can lose 2 pounds per week." It simply isn't true.
    Exactly. I currently have around 50lbs to lose and am losing at a rate of 1lb per week. The less weight one has to lose, the less they should lose per week.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member

Yes.

A good rule of thumb is:

Note that those are 'average' pounds per week. Don't get discouraged or think that exactly that will happen every week. For example, a 6 week period for an average 1 lb per week loss, more likely than not looks something like this:

week 1: -3 lbs
    week 2: 0 lbs
    week 3: - 1lb
    week 4: + 2 lbs
    week 5: -3 lbs
    week 6: -1 lb

Oh how true this is!! Well put :)
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    So, I should be losing at a rate of 1/2 to 1 lb per week? I'm on the right track, then! :smiley: