I have 90 lbs to lose in 6 months.

Options
I am severely overweight for my age, and I am motivated to lose it all!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    15lbs a month? Sorry, but that's really aggressive even if you're 300lbs. 1-2% of your body weight per week is a better goal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sweetie, I'm sorry, but I have to agree :disappointed: .

15lbs per month is just under 4lbs per week. In order to meet that pace, you'd need to burn about 2,000 calories more than you eat every single day. Now, I don't know your height and weight and activity level, but if you're truly obese you're probably burning somewhere in the 2,200 to 3,000 calories per day range, plus maybe a little more with exercise. That would mean that you'd need to be eating very, very little to reach those goals - you won't just be miserable (starving all the time, low energy, mood swings, etc), you risk making yourself very sick.

My advice (which I'm sure will be echoed by others if it hasn't already been said as I was typing) is to choose a more realistic rate of loss - 1 to 2 lbs per week - and choose calorie and activity goals that will be sustainable for you in the long run.

Good luck to you!!
  • 20ismyyear16
    20ismyyear16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you have a kik? We can try and keep each other motivated.
  • Bradley_J84
    Bradley_J84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    what about like 70 lbs. I was losing a average of 10-12pounds a month
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Just words and wishful thinking.

Log for a week, come back and get a high five.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »

15lbs per month is just under 4lbs per week. In order to meet that pace, you'd need to burn about 2,000 calories more than you eat every single day. Now, I don't know your height and weight and activity level, but if you're truly obese you're probably burning somewhere in the 2,200 to 3,000 calories per day range, plus maybe a little more with exercise. That would mean that you'd need to be eating very, very little to reach those goals - you won't just be miserable (starving all the time, low energy, mood swings, etc), you risk making yourself very sick.

My advice (which I'm sure will be echoed by others if it hasn't already been said as I was typing) is to choose a more realistic rate of loss - 1 to 2 lbs per week - and choose calorie and activity goals that will be sustainable for you in the long run.

Good luck to you!!

Perfect advice! Listen, OP.
    Aiming to lose a lot very quickly is not only dangerous, it makes you more likely to quit because you get discouraged when it doesn't happen as quickly as you want.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I think that could be too aggressive. I would reasses that goal .
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    90lbs in 6 months is way too aggressive. The health effects are not worth it. I know that when you want it off, you want it off now, but these next 6months are going to pass anyway. You can be healthier, happier, stronger than you feel now. Read the stickied threads at the top of the Getting Started and General Diet forums called "Most Helpful Posts." This one has some fantastic links in it:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1

Have some patience. Pushing yourself too hard, too fast can have some serious and life long consequences. You can do it!
  • JoslynPaige99
    JoslynPaige99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do you have a kik? We can try and keep each other motivated.

TEALNOSTALGIA
  • JoslynPaige99
    JoslynPaige99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lose up to 2-3 lbs in a matter of 4 days when I diet. I'm currently 230lbs. I have lost well over 30 lbs in a matter of 1 1/2 months.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1343719/get-rich-quick/p1

I really want to see you succeed in this, and like the others, strongly encourage you to adjust your expectations.

I know you hate the extra weight and the emotions that go along with it are painful. The need to rid yourself of the weight (and the pain) is intense, but please - if you want to see lasting results, you really need to consider the method you're going to use to lose the weight.

Did you gain 90 pounds in 6 months? If not, then please don't expect to lose it that fast. I imagine it crept on slowly over time. Your habits changed such that you ate more and more, moved less, and the scale slid up. It probably wasn't hard to gain the weight.

You can do the same in reverse...
    Take your time this go round, learn to adjust your lifestyle downwards. Make adjustments that you can manage and the weight will start to come off. The scale will slide down.

You'll give your mind time to adjust to the changes in your body too. (If you lose too fast, often times your mind cannot accept the change - and friends and family struggle too)

Do it gradually and you'll find it much easier to accept and manage over the long haul.

:hugs:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I lose up to 2-3 lbs in a matter of 4 days when I diet. I'm currently 230lbs. I have lost well over 30 lbs in a matter of 1 1/2 months.

Congrats on the loss to date!

Please keep in mind, though, that weight loss is not linear. Your body adapts, and the rapid loss can stall. What happens when you go two weeks and lose nothing? Will you keep up with it or get discouraged?

When you have a lot to lose, the first bit can (and often does) come off quickly. As you get smaller, it gets harder and takes longer.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    You also have to know the more weight you lose and the less you weigh the tougher it's going to be to drop weight that fast. Focus on long term healthy goals
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »

Good luck to you!!

^This

It didn't come on overnight and it won't (in a HEALTHY way anyhow) come off overnight either. And if it DOES, the first thing you do when you hit goal is say "I made it, now I can go BACK TO NORMAL"...the only problem is "normal" is what you got you to your current weight.

You want to start making small changes that can become lifelong new healthier habits.

I, also, suggest you read the stickied posts:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Why?? What happens in 6 months??
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain 90lbs in 6 months. So losing it wouldn't work that way either.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    Why?? What happens in 6 months??

THIS. ^^ Why six months, OP?
  • Sylvan012
    Sylvan012 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend doubling your time required. It will be more sustainable in the long run and less likely to damage internal systems in your body. Turn your motivation from a desire to sprint towards the goal into a desire to stay the distance. Try to create a goal of what you feel healthy eating and exercise should look like and work towards that. Don't necessarily rely upon calorie counts right away. Get yourself in a good headspace with regards to food and activity. Think about what you'd like your food/work/activity life to be when all is said and done. Then work towards that, using your drive and motivation to get you there safely and healthily!

You can do it; I've been where you are.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    In order to lose 90 pounds, you have to take an honest look at how you got there. Then you have to change how you look at food and how you exercise.

That is a very aggressive goal, and any nutritionist will tell you to scale it back. Sylvan012 is correct. That is a tough, but doable goal for a 12 month period, but it will require a lot of physical and mental work to get that done. If you don't make a lifestyle change, you are likely to gain a lot of it back after your loss.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Everybody will lose 2-3 pounds in the first few days of a diet. Your glycogen levels drop and your body flushes out the water that glycogen was stored in. Hence the term "water weight" - that's not fat loss.

As to losing 30 lbs in six weeks, that can be dangerously unhealthy and obviously not something you've been able to sustain, or you wouldn't be rushing now, yes?

Like ninerbuff said, aim to lose 1-2% of your bodyweight per week. That means 2.5 - 5 pounds your first week and progressively less per week as your weight drops.

It took me three years years to lose 95 lbs, but I've managed to keep it off without struggling for over two years now. Healthy and sustainable is the goal, isn't it?