Microwaved Eggs? Share please!

crazyjlyn
crazyjlyn Posts: 225 Member
I usually eat oatmeal or cereal for breakfast and after like a year Im getting pretty tired of it. Id like to try eggs for breakfast but at work I only have a microwave. I was thinking I could just make them scrambled and toss in some veggies (spinach, peppers, jalapenos, onions, tomatoes) microwave, whisk, microwave whisk

Anyone know if this will work? Has anyone made microwaved scrambled eggs?

Replies

• MLouis1
    MLouis1 Posts: 108 Member
    Experiment at home. Or make them the night before, then just zap them to heat them up.
  • kilbylake
    kilbylake Posts: 1 Member
    Make them all the time, and it's so easy. I always use a glass dish and spray with generic pam. I always add a little water or milk also. The rule of thumb is about 1 minute per egg, depending on your microwave. Enjoy!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    kilbylake wrote: »
    Make them all the time, and it's so easy. I always use a glass dish and spray with generic pam. I always add a little water or milk also. The rule of thumb is about 1 minute per egg, depending on your microwave. Enjoy!

yup, this is what I've done.
  • cpw2109
    cpw2109 Posts: 43 Member
    I usually have 2 eggs, microwaved for breakfast. Especially when I'm at work.

Put them in a bowl, whisk with a fork, microwave for 70-90 seconds (based on 2 eggs and a 700 watt microwave).

• sw0312
    sw0312 Posts: 30 Member
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/arielknutson/easy-ways-to-cooks-eggs-in-a-microwave#.syZ4mqqR4Q

I have tried a couple of these because that is all I have too in the office.

I also will make rosemary potatoes, add peppers and onions and a little turkey sausage the night before. I portion it out into tupperware (so that I have 3-4 morning breakfasts). In the morning I cook a sunny side up but remove it before it cooks completely and put it on top of the potato mixture (that I warmed in the microwave first) and go to work. Then when I am ready for breakfast it is either ready and warm or I can warm it for 30-40 seconds and I have a yummy runny egg, potato, and turkey sausage breakfast.
  • crazyjlyn
    kilbylake wrote: »

Thank you so much! Do I whisk them in between?
  • crazyjlyn
    sw0312 wrote: »
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/arielknutson/easy-ways-to-cooks-eggs-in-a-microwave#.syZ4mqqR4Q

I have tried a couple of these because that is all I have too in the office.

I also will make rosemary potatoes, add peppers and onions and a little turkey sausage the night before. I portion it out into tupperware (so that I have 3-4 morning breakfasts). In the morning I cook a sunny side up but remove it before it cooks completely and put it on top of the potato mixture (that I warmed in the microwave first) and go to work. Then when I am ready for breakfast it is either ready and warm or I can warm it for 30-40 seconds and I have a yummy runny egg, potato, and turkey sausage breakfast.

Hey thats a damn good idea!
  • sw0312
    When I am lazy Lean Cuisine has a really good turkey sausage scramble that has eggs, potatoes, pepper, onions, turkey sausage and cheese all for 180 calories. It is really good. I am able to get them on sale for $1.68 here. Its probably not great for sodium but it fills me up until lunch.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited January 2016
    It may have already been said, but the biggest tip I can give is to do them 30 seconds at a time, mix and 30 more, another 30 seconds if needed until done. Remember it keeps cooking for a short while after so leave it slightly wet and mix again.

I put lots of goodies in mine. Almost always mushrooms to make it more food for few extra calories. Diced peppers either hot or sweet or both, sometimes a sausage or bacon chopped into it. Sometimes cheese - any kind you like. Sometimes I chop some fresh greens like spinach into it. Sun dried tomatoes...endless possibilities.
  • dumdumbells
    dumdumbells Posts: 3 Member
    You can also make poached eggs in the microwave. I like to put one on toast with some sriracha on top. Just crack an egg into a microwave-safe bowl, add 1/2 cup water and 1/2 tbsp of white vinegar, and microwave for about 120 seconds. You can take it out of the bowl with a fork and dry it off in a paper towel, and voila! Perfectly poached and delicious.
  • KittyHeaven74
    KittyHeaven74 Posts: 68 Member
    edited January 2016
    I have a vegetarian quiche recipe that is fantastic and freezes beautifully. I cook it every Sunday and it makes 8 portion sizes, which I take to work for breakfast every day. I never tire of it! And it will allow modification so you can use different veggies each week, add meat if you prefer, use cheese you like, etc. Happy to share the recipe if you want - it only takes 10-15 minutes of prep and 30 minutes to bake in the oven. It makes two quiches which I cut into quarters, then put into individual ziplocs and freeze.

Each portion (the way I make it) contains: 163 calories/12g protein/3g carbs/9g fat. If you changed anything you'd just need to modify the recipe for yourself to calculate the new calories and macros.
  • sw0312
    I have a vegetarian quiche recipe that is fantastic and freezes beautifully. I cook it every Sunday and it makes 8 portion sizes, which I take to work for breakfast every day. I never tire of it! And it will allow modification so you can use different veggies each week, add meat if you prefer, use cheese you like, etc. Happy to share the recipe if you want - it only takes 10-15 minutes of prep and 30 minutes to bake in the oven. It makes two quiches which I cut into quarters, then put into individual ziplocs and freeze.

Each portion (the way I make it) contains: 163 calories/12g protein/3g carbs/9g fat. If you changed anything you'd just need to modify the recipe for yourself to calculate the new calories and macros.

Yum! Do share the recipe please
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Search for Hungry Girl's Egg Mugs. She uses eggbeaters but it works with whole eggs or egg whites too.

or...

Spray a small pyrex bowl with cooking spray, crack egg in bowl. Poke egg yoke and white a few times with a toothpick. This helps prevent the egg from popping or exploding. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on 50% power for 1 minute and 15 seconds.
  • back2happy2005
    back2happy2005 Posts: 108 Member
    my recipe is - 1 whole egg, 1/4 C egg whites, spinach, mushrooms, onion, and about 1 T of cottage cheese. it is really good.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    My 1100 wats microwave cooks one egg in 42 seconds. My husband does it in two steps and whisks it in-between, I haven't found it necessary.

But yeah a crustless quiche would work. My go-to recipe is basically - cover the bottom with meat, add some veggies on top, then a bit of cheese, and cover with a mixture of 6 eggs (or 4 eggs and 4 egg whites), then bake until set. Some people do egg muffins this way, but I find it much easier to do a quiche, then I can just weigh the whole thing then weigh my portion, instead of worrying about making 12 muffins of equal size (knowing I wouldn't be the only one eating them).
  • KittyHeaven74
    KittyHeaven74 Posts: 68 Member
    sw0312 wrote: »
    Yum! Do share the recipe please

Here you go! You can replace the spinach with any vegetable you like. I’ve tried it with mushrooms (good as long as you sautee the water out of the mushrooms first, though it doesn’t freeze as well), peppers, sundried tomatoes, etc. Use whatever you like. Also, I use fresh spinach, but you can also use frozen – just squeeze all the water out of it after defrosting.

Prep time is no more than 15 minutes, probably less. I make this every week because it’s so fast and easy (and delicious)!

No Crust Spinach Quiche

Ingredients:
    8 eggs (you can also add egg whites to plump it up more / add more protein)
    1 1/4 cup milk or milk substitute
    1 1/3 cup shredded cheese (I like it with the Kraft 4-cheese Italiano, but use whatever cheese you prefer)
    1/2 cup flour or baking mix
    4 cups chopped fresh spinach

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350.
    2. Spray two pie plates with PAM or similar (I line mine with foil and then spray – no washing up afterward!)
    3. Spread spinach evenly between the two plates. Note that if you use different veggies, you may want to add more or less depending on preference and bulk. Set aside.
    4. In large bowl, mix eggs and milk until well blended. Pour in cheese and stir. Add the flour last, whisking as you pour to prevent lumps.
    5. Season to taste. I like salt, pepper, cayenne and Mrs. Dash or basil (the cayenne gives it a nice kick).
    6. Ladle egg mixture evenly between the two pie plates, doing your best to cover the veggies. Note that if your veggies are dense, you might need to stir the mixture around a bit so the egg and cheese gets into the crevices.
    7. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is lightly golden.

You can eat right away, or let the quiches cool and then cut them into quarters. This recipe freezes and reheats beautifully. If reheating directly from frozen, it’s usually perfect at 2 minutes in the microwave. If reheating from fridge, 1 minute should be enough unless the microwave lacks power.

Also, if you want to make it more filling or add some carb to it, maybe spread shredded potatoes (hash browns) in the bottom and pat down to create a potato crust. This would be a delicious breakfast idea.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited January 2016
    You could do almost all of a breakfast sandwich in the microwave, if you pre-toasted your bread (or didn't mind it un-toasted). I do it all the time.

Toast your bread/english muffin/sandwich thin/whatever at home. At work, cook your egg in a coffee mug (spray with Pam; nuke for ~45 seconds per egg or whole egg equivalent) or any of the methods listed above. Scramble it, don't, it's really your preference. I do it with just the whites since I don't like yolks. Assemble your sandwich with whatever pre-cooked meat (ham, turkey sausage patty, bacon, whatever you like) and cheese you like. Nuke for 10-20 more seconds to heat through and melt the cheese a little. You could also add spinach, onions, avocado, tomato, etc.

Edited to add key missing words.
  • darcy1982
    darcy1982 Posts: 52 Member
    OMG!! my new fave is microwaved eggs whites from the carton with a 1/2 oz of any cheese preferably pepperjack! Microwaved for 2 min and then put onto a toasted Mack's Flax seed bread from Aldi's and a little Valentina Hot Sauce!!
  • dmdaigle
    dmdaigle Posts: 1 Member
    I totally do microwaved egg whites with Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning on some low-calorie bread or English muffin with a Laughing Cow cheese. Way cheaper than buying frozen breakfast sandwiches and less calories too!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    You could do almost all of a breakfast sandwich in the microwave, if you pre-toasted your bread (or didn't mind it un-toasted). I do it all the time.

Toast your bread/english muffin/sandwich thin/whatever at home. At work, cook your egg in a coffee mug (spray with Pam; nuke for ~45 seconds per egg or whole egg equivalent) or any of the methods listed above. Scramble it, don't, it's really your preference. I do it with just the whites since I don't like yolks. Assemble your sandwich with whatever pre-cooked meat (ham, turkey sausage patty, bacon, whatever you like) and cheese you like. Nuke for 10-20 more seconds to heat through and melt the cheese a little. You could also add spinach, onions, avocado, tomato, etc.

Edited to add key missing words.

Yup, it's shockingly simple to make breakfast sandwiches at home in the microwave that taste as good as drive thru.

I use a flat-bottomed plastic measuring cup (1 cup size) sprayed with a little spray oil and crack an egg in it, lightly beat with a fork, and microwave for 45 secs. Comes out perfect, fits perfectly on a toasted English muffin.

I also make scrambled eggs in the microwave a lot, but I find the more complicated I make the scramble that the more likely it is that the eggs are going to separate and be watery/rubbery. So I generally just resign myself to the stovetop (or oven) for complex scrambles. My microwave scrambles are most often just a mix of whole eggs and egg whites and some cheese (laughing cow, kraft single, or a dollop of cottage cheese). Microwave for 45 sec, stir, then microwave 15-20 sec at a time after that until done.