Trying to lose weight with a bad ankle :(

Options
I've always had weak ankle but since my sprained ankle months ago, I've put on a ton of weight. I've gained a whopping 40lbs and am super depressed!!! I've ordered Shaun T's T25 and searching for a clean eating guide so I can start this journey in February. Am I crazy for trying T25 while semi hurt? I really need to lose weight to relieve pressure from my ankle and knees! Any positive feedback would definitely be helpful. Thank you!!!

Replies

• ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens when you are in a caloric deficit (ie, you eat less calories than you are burning). The awesome thing about that is that you can lose weight without exercising at all. Exercising is for health/fitness, but doesn't contribute all that much to your caloric burn compared to how many calories you burn just by being alive.

So focus on your diet, and you'll meet your goals, no worries about the ankle.
  • gissellep501
    gissellep501 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank u for ur post ammo 7!! Ur definitely right maybe I should focus more on my diet than working out since I'm injured. Thank u!!
  • nellie_579
    nellie_579 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Physio for your ankle?
    Maybe take it easy but try just upper body exercises till your ankle feels better and variations of exercises, maybe crunches etc?
    You don't have to be running to exercise!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what a "weak" ankle is, especially when you are only in your 20s. It sounds like you need to get a dr appointment, because if there is something wrong with your joints you need a diagnosis and a plan.
    A sprain at your age should not hurt months later, so again, see a dr.
    In the meantime, limit calories to lose weight, focus on low impact exercise to improve health and fitness.
  • gissellep501
    Options
    Yes I have physical therapy coming up within the next few weeks. And yes having weak ankles or reoccurring injuries is possible in your twenties, especially when you played sports heavily as a teenager. Injuries and joint pain is actually pretty common among young adults and is not only for the elderly or the morbid obese.
  • J383
    J383 Posts: 4,573 Member
    Options
    I have a torn ligament, Went through PT for 12 weeks and now I run about 4 to 6 miles a week. Just make sure you ice it after your workout. Start out slow and listen to your body.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm not in my 20s by a long shot, and I've been sidelined by an injured ankle, or really top-of-the-foot, for almost 2 weeks now. It's driving me nuts, but with my calories set appropriately low I've continued to lose weight. Ditto for a couple of weeks I had to take out for unrelated minor surgery in December. I'm not used to being injured, and yet here I am three months into this weight-loss program and I've been on the hurt list twice by coincidence. It's showing me that it doesn't matter: I can still lose. The more I lose, the easier things will be on my foot. Just hit your calorie goals! Your ankle will improve eventually.
  • Floridaman789
    Floridaman789 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You can go to you tube they have chair exercises you can do. That's what I do because I have bad knee.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I broke my leg last year and managed to gain only about 3lbs (over 8 weeks) while laid up by slashing my calories by about 500. You can do this just with diet. It's not as fun, but it's possible.
  • gissellep501
    Options
    Thank you for your replies! Yes I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow bright and early. I'll probably stick to a 1500 cal meal plan. Thank you
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Since Dr. Said I can't do any walking, Zumba, etc with my ankle, after the first of Jan I bought a recumbent bike and rowing machine...just got it together...and these are ok to do with my chronic bad ankle
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Weak ankles or not, it's primarily about the intake. At 100 lbs overweight, my knees were in horrible shape. In the beginning, the only exercise I could do was light walking. My focus was on my intake. As the pounds came off, I could walk more. As more weight came off, I could jump onto the elliptical trainer. I still can't run. So be it.

Get your intake under control first and foremost. Ramp up your exercise slowly. You'll get there.
  • LetterToCorinth
    LetterToCorinth Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest trying the Whole30 plan for a month. It'll kickstart your body. I dropped 30 pounds in November when I did it. No exercise whatsoever. And I was definitely not eating at a major deficit. Most days were 2000 calorie days.

http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I strongly suggest trying the Whole30 plan for a month. It'll kickstart your body.

Your body is not a motorcycle. No kickstarting is required. No special diet is required. Exercise isn't required, although it is desirable for fitness. Just eat less than you burn and you'll lose weight. Keep it simple! :)