Picky eaters

Options
My SO is s very picky eater. Does anyone have suggestions for easy/heathy meals that are also pretty enjoyable? Or how to convince him to try them? Etc. I'm getting into meal planning and "make ahead" meals. I appreciate any ideas :)

Replies

• JediMasterNaw
    JediMasterNaw Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Really, it depends on him. I am also very picky, but what I found that helped me was to sit down and make as complete of a list as I could of what I will eat. Then, figure out recipes from those things.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Is he into the healthy eating as you? If not, why make him compromise? Make what he likes, while you make what you like. I don't see anything wrong with that.
  • angelamy1977
    angelamy1977 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same boat with my teenage son. He wants pizza, hot dogs & hamburgers all the time LOL. I've had my best luck finding recipes that are a compromise on pintrist. Just type in words of foods he likes with the combination of the word healthy (ie. healthy pasta recipes, healthy pizza recipes, healthy dessert recipes). I've found quite a few things he will eat that way. I don't eat fruit, anything that is seafood, or anything with bones in it so I know I too am a picky eater- it's all about finding the things that you can both enjoy and going from there :)
  • Janay333
    Janay333 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I say cook what you like/need to accomplish your goals. If he eats, great. If not, he can make his own.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Janay333 wrote: »
    I say cook what you like/need to accomplish your goals. If he eats, great. If not, he can make his own.

This. I'm a picky eater, and I never try to make people conform to me, and I don't conform to others either. I'm an adult, who can cook or drive to get something, I won't starve. I'm sure your SO will figure something out.
  • cclay0813
    cclay0813 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I myself actually have the problem of being a picky eater, I live in the south (tn) I've been raised on country food (what I call it) meaning basically everything is fried.... I want to start eating healthy but over half of the things I see everyone post or talk about are foods I've never even heard of, or its seafood, eggs (or contains eggs), or spinach and I absolutely do not like any of it. I'm so use to eating fried chicken, fried/mashed potatoes, fried pork chops, green beans, corn, and well I'm sure you get the point get normal southern food.... Anyways I need help also because I have no idea what to eat and I don't want to waste money on food I know I would absolutely not eat...HELP
  • CoachKimberlyHHF
    CoachKimberlyHHF Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love everyone's input; thank you!!

@Cclay0813, I was the same way! Over the last couple years I've added a healthier variety of foods to my life. I've found that adding quinoa, broccoli, and asparagus to chicken and then adding a little BBQ sauce, it's amazing. Adding "strange" foods to foods I already like is the best way I've found to incorporate them. Maybe we can exchange recipes :)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    My dh is an insanely picky. He eats beef mainly (not ground). He will eat ground beef, chicken and pork ribs about 1x a month each.

Beef (not ground)
    bacon
    Canned green beans
    corn on the cob
    steamed broccoli
    Bread
    rice cakes (ranch flavor)
    Candy
    Dry cereal

thats it. No condiments. No fruit. Doesnt like salt or pepper.

Its a PITA to cook for. I try to make a few meals a week that he enjoys (beef roast and steaks served with broccoli or canned green beans mainly)... and then i just make what i want to feed the kids the rest of the time. He usually eats dry cereal those nights.

• kimberly9685
    kimberly9685 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    cclay0813 wrote: »
    I myself actually have the problem of being a picky eater, I live in the south (tn) I've been raised on country food (what I call it) meaning basically everything is fried.... I want to start eating healthy but over half of the things I see everyone post or talk about are foods I've never even heard of, or its seafood, eggs (or contains eggs), or spinach and I absolutely do not like any of it. I'm so use to eating fried chicken, fried/mashed potatoes, fried pork chops, green beans, corn, and well I'm sure you get the point get normal southern food.... Anyways I need help also because I have no idea what to eat and I don't want to waste money on food I know I would absolutely not eat...HELP

I can completely relate. I am a Southern girl too and I know how much we love our food like that. A lot of the time I try to make substitutes for things that I like. Chicken, which is my favorite, I try to do baked. It's not nearly as good as fried, but you can put all kinds of marinades on it to make it yummy. I like a bit of brown sugar and a bit of the ranch seasoning on it. I'm picky too, so I understand.