Am I too old to get my fitness and body back?

Options

Replies

• gkingbr
    gkingbr Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    When did you start?

i started early December last year. I have a long way to go.
  • GrandadRugRat
    GrandadRugRat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You will do great! Never to old or late to take some you time to focus on yourself.

Thank you.
  • GrandadRugRat
    Options
    never too old!!!

So they keep telling me. Just hoping I keep motivated.
  • GrandadRugRat
    Options
    ceesaw wrote: »
    You are never too old. I am 75 and have serious health problems but I am just starting to do something about it. Please wish me luck and help me stay motivated.

I only started yesterday and am just getting used to this app. Good luck and of course I will help you. You could also help me. Add me as a friend if you like.
  • GrandadRugRat
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I did at 47

@sijomial rocks his physique

When you're older you're more stubborn

Makes it easier

You know what to do ...do it

Thank you. Oh I can be stubborn.

Stubborn is a real asset in this game :)

You're 6 years older than me. You're 2 years younger than my boyfriend. We're not old. We're well-seasoned. Its a good thing.

I like that. Well seasoned haha.
  • GrandadRugRat
    Options
    You're never too old! My father is 56 and he had type 2 diabetes and was just over 300lbs. He changed his entire life - he bikes ten miles every morning and ends the day with cardio. He also switched to a low carb, high fat diet (ridding himself of his worst temptations - starchy vegetables, pasta and bread) and had since become pescatarian of his own choice. He is down to 172lbs and hasn't had a complication of diabetes in two years. I have never seen him so fit, healthy or happy in my entire life.

YOU are in control of your destiny, my friend. Age is just a number!

** The above is NOT a recommendation for a low carb, high fat diet, nor pescatarianism - everyone is different and this is simply what worked for him and what he could stick to.

Wow thank you. You must be really proud.
  • GrandadRugRat
    Options
    bussyfeso wrote: »
    Never too late

Thanks
  • GrandadRugRat
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you great comments and inspiration. I am now convinced I am starting my journey in the right place.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I did at 47

@sijomial rocks his physique

When you're older you're more stubborn

Makes it easier

You know what to do ...do it

I did too at 47 and my husband is 56 so he too is doing it.. Gosh I hope you come back and give us updates!

I am sending a friend request to you! Best of luck... :):)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 and go to the pool 3 times a week, gym once, plus yoga, acqua-gym, stretching. I'm in good shape despite my AO and I don't give up easily. I think there's a way to better every problem. You have to stop thinking you're old and do what you can as long as you can. Wishing you luck.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm 52, hubby is 58, and we both started getting back in shape last year. Did our first 10K in November and we're going to run our first half marathon in two months. You can do this!
  • shadowconn
    shadowconn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yes, sir. You can do it. What everyone else has said is totally on par
  • fjm1061
    fjm1061 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I'm 54. Lost 47 lbs so far and beat diabetes and so can you. Set your calorie goal in MFP. Mine is 1500. Get moving. I walk. Enjoy losing weight. For me it was that simple. Oh and I'm also a Grandpa. Don't hesitate to message me if I can be of service in your journey to wellness.
  • daveharris54
    daveharris54 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You are never to old to improve your health and never too young to die if you don't. I am 61 and like you I used to be very active. I had some medical problems that helped make me lazy and fatter. I have made the commitment to improve myself so that I can have the energy to enjoy my grandchildren as well as be more active in other things I want to do.
  • suncatcher2
    suncatcher2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi... just starting today also, and after reading these posts gives one courage...
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I live in Italy and am 61. A friend of my husband, when asked what his goal is, said "to die healthy". He's at the fitness club every day. Oh, and he's older than I am.
  • GrandadRugRat
    Options
    I live in Italy and am 61. A friend of my husband, when asked what his goal is, said "to die healthy". He's at the fitness club every day. Oh, and he's older than I am.

That's brilliant. And what a marvellous goal.
  • GrandadRugRat
    Options
    You are never to old to improve your health and never too young to die if you don't. I am 61 and like you I used to be very active. I had some medical problems that helped make me lazy and fatter. I have made the commitment to improve myself so that I can have the energy to enjoy my grandchildren as well as be more active in other things I want to do.

Thanks For that. Those are the exact reasons I want to succeed in this. Hope all goes well for you.
  • GrandadRugRat
    Options
    fjm1061 wrote: »
    Welcome to MFP! I'm 54. Lost 47 lbs so far and beat diabetes and so can you. Set your calorie goal in MFP. Mine is 1500. Get moving. I walk. Enjoy losing weight. For me it was that simple. Oh and I'm also a Grandpa. Don't hesitate to message me if I can be of service in your journey to wellness.

Wow thank you for that and congratulations on your weight loss and beating it.
    You are my inspiration to succeed now as all I can do is walk and diet. Many many thanks (walks away whistling, smiling and very confident)
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,471 Member
    Options
    You're not even old.

this...

I have diabetes too...