so hungry all the time...pisses me off

Options
Please help me! View my diary.....I'm a truck driver,with 2270 calories....and I'm staving and ready togo off!

Replies

• ChezInProgress
    Options
    I'm pretty new here. And never post on the forums. The point isn't to starve yourself. Give yourself enough food to be satisfied (not full). Eat a small snack every two hours (100-150 calories). More water intake will also help with that hunger. You may go over your recommended calories for the first few days, but the point of it this is to make progress not to start off doing awesome. It's a process. Just hang in there. Above all else listen to your body. If it's hungry eat. Just watch what you eat and how much of it. Hope that was some help.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and I dont' see a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. I see things like bread, kellogs bars, crackers, rolls, and processed meats, etc. If you eat a lot more fresh produce - it's lower calorie but very filling. I'm not saying to give up all that other stuff completely, but try to incorporate more fruits, veggies and non-processed foods into your diet. I'm always hungry if I'm only eating processed foods, but when I'm eating stuff like lean meats, fish, quinoa, brown rice, lots of veggies - salads, raw veggies, cooked veggies, etc., fruits, homemade fruit smoothies, oatmeal, avocado, hummus, yogurt, nuts, etc., I'm full more often. Also, make sure you're drinking enough water - it's important for your health and it does help keep you feeling more full.

Not sure how easy it would be to do this as a truck driver - will likely take some work, but you should be able to keep an ice chest with fresh veggies/fruit & the like with you, I would think.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    When I feel myself getting hungry and its not meal time yet, I snack on strawberries. Healthy and low cal.
  • Lizshouse88
    Options
    I eat those big greasy breakfasts a lot, too. They tend to make me full fast but starve me the rest of the day. Maybe that's why you feel so hungry? I'd try to eat less than about 30-40% of your calories for the day or breakfast. Big breakfasts leave little room for meals the rest of the day!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You need to cut back on the processed foods. They are adding way to much salt, sugar & fat to your diet and not filling you up. Do you cook at all? If you cook, get a small cooler and pack it full of health stuff, it will help you from buying so much fast food.

Oven fries are or even baked potatoes are lower in cal. Adding some green veg would greatly help fill you up. You seem like a meat and potatoes guy. Try making a green salad with 2 -3 cups of romaine or mixed greens and a cup of lean protein like a chicken breast or lean steak. Go easy on the dressings or you are still getting tones of fat and sugar. If you can stand it make a simple vinegar/olive oil dressing.

If you can take advantage of the summer fruits especially berries and watermelon. They are filling and fairly low in calories.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. ....

So, here's what I have learned from various diets.
    1. High Sugar/Carb food (Twinkies, donuts, candy bars) make you HUNGRIER after 2hours than if you had eaten nothing at all.
    2. Protein fills you, and you don't feel hungry for hours

My advice is simple. I start off with a fruit/yogurt and an apple for breakfast, some almonds for my 10am break, all the diet soda I can stand.
    A Jimmy John Gargantuan for lunch. skip the chips - they taste good; but are a lot of calories that don't fill you up.
    Night time is my micorwave popcorn and crystal light. If I have been good, a bag of the Orville Redenbacher's Carmel Popcorn and a Diet Coke with my movie.

As a truck driver, junk food is all to available - you need to adjust your diet and grab apples, grapes, oranges and a Costco sized box of almonds. Break these into sandwich bags that are pre-weighed - it's not hard to do - it just takes a bit of discipline.

I'm a silly engineer. I sit in a cube all day long, on my butt. I have vending machines full of snacks and soda.

This is a gradual lifestyle change - you gotta change your lifestyle. I'm doing it to lose weight so I have more energy and feel better. I want to live, instead of die at an early age due to a heart attack.
  • StephanieJacobs
    StephanieJacobs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Ive been told to eat several small heath snacks is the best way to go. I haven't been able to master that, but I do notice that if I have a smaller meal and allow for a few snack in between meals it helps. Look for things that are high in fiber. Fiber makes you feel full. Avoid a lot of carbs or fast carbs those are the ones that are low in fiber. I try things like Greek yogurt, cheese sticks, nuts/almonds, fiber one bars, fruit and veggies.

1431013.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means a expert, but if I was you I would try to up my protein and fiber that way you will stay full longer. Try to space out your meals more so you can have a small snack every 2 to 3 hours, and plenty of water.
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    Little and often is how you should go, so you are never totally empty for long. One huge meal in the morning will leave you hungry a while after you should have had lunch.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means a expert, but if I was you I would try to up my protein and fiber that way you will stay full longer. Try to space out your meals more so you can have a small snack every 2 to 3 hours, and plenty of water.

If you look at his diary, he's getting plenty of protein. Some of the days it looked like fiber could be a little low, though.
  • marj972
    marj972 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I just saw your diary, maybe it is gum related?
    I know that when I have gum, it makes me feel hungry and I am pretty sure I have heard that the fact that you keep on chewing triggers the... let's say "hunger factor" as I don't know any scientific terms lol.
    I don't know if it helps, but I just thought I'd take the time to reply
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    That really sucks, I hate feeling hungry. You have a high calorie allotment though, so with some good choices you could be eating all day. Lots of protein I think. There are a lot of really smart people on here so I think you need to start adding some friends and get some support and advice. As a trucker you are going to need to really plan ahead and put in some effort so you don't have to eat processed. Good luck! You can do it!! :flowerforyou:
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    having the hungry feeling of being "starved" stems from having so much carbs in your diet... lower your carbs... the hunger will leave (except head hunger which is different) If you eat a balanced diet of 1200 cal keep your protein 60-80 g your sugar content low (no more than 8g per hundred cal) low salt and low fat. That is if you are trying to lose weight. my dairy is viewable if you want to look. I am never hungry.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    Little and often is how you should go, so you are never totally empty for long. One huge meal in the morning will leave you hungry a while after you should have had lunch.

^ this.

and make sure you have some water with you at all times - sometimes your body mistakes thirst for hunger. best of luck to you!
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Options
    Dude--I'd go with watermelon, grapes, strawberries and carrot sticks. All low calorie, all natural, all good for you and all filling.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    ok, it's obvious you eat a lot of take out and you like your meat.
    Your breakfast though is a little crazy, if you ate a big bowl of porridge for breakfast, that is going to keep you fuller so when it comes to lunch, small changes. Swap the steaks which are coming in at 800+ calories to turkey or chicken, this will shave off 300+ calories.
    Your porridge that you do log you have put as dried oats, with water in or milk we're talking quite a few bowls there, have you put that through right?
    If you need a creamy based sauce buy a small tub of extra light Philadelphia and put that on instead of light mayo. Even though it says light, it's still really bad for you.
    You're eating hash browns which are putting an extra 300 calories on, try and cut them out and get extra beans if necessary.
    Do those little changes and you could easily cut out 500-800 calories a day.
    Small changes, you won't be able to go from steaks and fried food to veg and salad in one day.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    One thing that might help is not "wasting" 400 calories on a hash brown - not particularly filling, instead of that you could have a couple of slices of brown bread, a huge chunk of chicken and some salad a bit later.

Also, I'm confused by something a few days ago, you have two cups of salad down as 450 calories. Unless you're putting a huge amount of oily dressing, croutons or fried onions on your salad, it should be more like 80 calories! So on that day, you won't have eaten as much as you think.

Things like margarine and mayo really add on the calories too. They don't make a meal that much more filling, but if you do without them, you can eat more of the things that do fill you up.

Oh, and if you're having a large portion of fries, you might want to think about not having bread at the same meal. You could have that bread later, maybe with a small can of of tuna.
  • ChezInProgress
    Options
    Another thing I would encourage(after viewing your diary) is to structure the meals and snacks you do eat. Be more conscience. I think a typical meal should be between 270-400 calories. It would be beneficial to not eat as heavy at night for dinner. Keep your snacks between 100-160 calories.
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people hit it on the head here, I'll just reinforce what they've been saying.

Nix the sugar it's the devil and will make you insanely hungry after eating it (cereal bar)

Eat lots of protein - nothing says you can't chew on one of those baked chickens from the grocery store (minus the skin)

The gum is probably making you hungry. I went to a nutritionist who told me that even though the items that replace sugar are low calorie, they have the same effect on your body as if it were real. (Adjusting insulin levels and feeling starving later on).

I personally like to limit my fruit and keep it to items like berries. I eat them mid morning so I know I can fill up later at lunch with protein.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You are eating almost exclusively high-calorie low-nutrient foods. I'm sure if you swapped some of your processed carbs for fruit, salad and veg you would see a massive increase in your energy levels and general health. It's fine to have a filling breakfast but a bowl of oatmeal with dried or fresh fruit is a much better option for around 400 calories and incredibly filling. A lot more filling than 2 hash browns.

It is also a psychological issue. If you fill your plate up, your brain will see that as a good meal. A good guide is that 1/2 your plate should be fruit and veg and salad, 1/4 protein and 1/4 carbs. Yours right now looks more like 3/4 carbs and 1/4 protein. That will make you really tired! I didn't realise how energy sapping high-calorie meals are until I stopped eating them. Also if you must eat a lot of bread then at least make it wholegrain/brown because it has a lower GI which means it releases its calories slower (effectively) and keeps you from getting hungry for much longer.

Also I know you are probably a big guy and have a high basic calorie need, but you eat more calories in a lot of your meals than I do in a whole day. That is probably down to bad planning and bad choices, not hunger. There is really no way that your body is going to tell you it NEEDS more to run off when you are feeding it well over 1000 calories in a single sitting most days, plus 2 other meals and snacks. That is just not how we work. So probably you have stretched your stomach so far that you need to feel hungry so it can shrink back to a normal size.

Some ideas for breakfast:
    1. Oatmeal made with dry oats and skimmed/almond/oat milk, with blueberries/raisins/cranberries/seeds/nuts (about 400 calories)
    2. Omelette from 3 eggs, with spinach, fresh tomato, bell pepper and any other veg you like in it (about 300 calories)
    3. Wholemeal toast 2 slices, with 2 scrambled eggs and some kind of bacon light option or meat-free bacon (about 500 calories)

I don't mean to sound rude but if you make better use of your calories there is no way you can feel hungry on that many calories once the initial shock has gone. If being on the road is the issue then you need to make your health a priority which means planning ahead. It would probably save you money too. It takes no time at all to make a sandwich and you could have 2 very substantial meat-filled sandwiches for lunch every day and still come away with fewer calories, less fat, less salt, and more of pretty much every vitamin and mineral, for the sake of planning yourself 10 minutes to make it and 10 minutes to buy the stuff for it. if you are really struggling for ideas of what to eat to keep full then my diary is open and while yes, I am small, I never allow myself to get hungry, and you could double everything I eat and still be within your calories.