Gaining on clean eating!!

Options
Hi there,

So, I'm a 32 year old (now) 261 pound woman. I started eating 100% clean. Cut all processed foods to the point that I even bake my own whole wheat bread. I'm eating plenty of fruits and veggies and only organic dairy and meats. I follow the 100 days of real food recipes and have been doing this for 30 days. I eat only 1390 calories a day, and document every tiny ingredient and EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth...even a bite of an apple. I work out 3-4 times a week on the stationary bike for 45 min. I drink about a gallon of water a day. Now, can someone PLEASE tell me why my clothes don't fit and how I went from 248 to 260 in a month!? I am so incredibly discouraged, since I've been so exact with my diet and exercise.

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale?
  • Gingychild
    Gingychild Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes! I measure everything and weigh meats and cheeses or anything I may question.
  • auddii
    Options
    skw9u4h8w6sr.jpg
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    what @auddii said
    Also, I can't view your diary, but how are you logging your exercise calories? And are you "eating back" your exercise cals?

eta: nevermind, I see auddii's handy-dandy chart covered that too
  • Gingychild
    Options
    Nope, I use the withings fitness tracker which is hooked up to my fitness pal. I decided to not use my exercise calories. Maybe I should?
  • Gingychild
    Options
    I can't see any chart from @auddii?
  • auddii
    Options
    Gingychild wrote: »
    I can't see any chart from @auddii?

If you're using the app on your phone, images are broken; try accessing the website through a Web browser.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Do you want to open your diary? It could help if we can see it.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Yes! I measure everything and weigh meats and cheeses or anything I may question.

If this means you only weigh certain food items and not all solid foods, that could be problematic.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The flow chart is spot on. It's a matter of checking and double checking what you are doing until you figure out where you are counting your calorie intake or burn wrong. Just make sure that if you do need to start reducing your calorie intake that you do it slowly and incrementally. Don't rush it.
  • lisaipri
    lisaipri Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What types of foods were you eating B4? Maybe they contained less calories than you are eating now? Did you exercise B4 also? It really doesn't make sense and that is a lot to gain in a month.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining, and it's been more than a few weeks, you're eating more than you think. Be sure to weigh out everything, not just use measuring cups for solids.
  • Gingychild
    Options
    Hey guys, I weigh everything. The only things I don't are whole fruits and pre measured items. But I really don't know what else I could be weighing incorrectly. Even my husband is baffled as he sees my efforts. I'm making an appointment with my Dr, but this isn't right. I've lost weight before through Weight Watchers, almost 80 pounds. I think maybe it could be the food??? I certainly hope not because I love this way of eating. My husband lost weight (even though he didnt need to) on everything I've prepared. There is something I'm doing wrong here...what the HECK is it!?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Perhaps you could allow access to your diary so we could take look for anything obvious?
  • arditarose
    Options
    Hey guys, I weigh everything. The only things I don't are whole fruits and pre measured items. But I really don't know what else I could be weighing incorrectly. Even my husband is baffled as he sees my efforts. I'm making an appointment with my Dr, but this isn't right. I've lost weight before through Weight Watchers, almost 80 pounds. I think maybe it could be the food??? I certainly hope not because I love this way of eating. My husband lost weight (even though he didnt need to) on everything I've prepared. There is something I'm doing wrong here...what the HECK is it!?

I mean...you should weigh fruits, and try measuring prepared items as well because they can be off. But yeah. You're missing something. Getting a check up isn't a bad idea either.
  • Gingychild
    Options
    @SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage don't really feel comfortable opening it publicly. But maybe I can take screen shots??? Let me give it a try.
  • arditarose
    Options
    @SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage don't really feel comfortable opening it publicly. But maybe I can take screen shots??? Let me give it a try.

You could also open it for 10 minutes, just enough for a few of us to have a peek.

You should weigh fruit, and try weighing pre-packaged items as they tend to be off.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This is my really general advice for these sorts of things. I know we've already covered some of the steps, but maybe some of the others will help:

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • Gingychild
    Options
    how do I open my diary...then close it? I've never done that.
  • Gingychild
    Options
    @diannethegeek thanks. It's been since Jan 4th or 5th (new years resolution). Maybe I do just need more time.