Vegan: high carb low fat

Options
Anyone on the vegan journey yet? I've lost almost 30 lbs and I'm loving it. I feel all around better and just feel so good about not harming my self or any other living beings. How do you guys feel

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Exhausted. There have been a lot of these types of threads today and they get out hand fast. Sit back and watch the show!
  • margaritadiamantopulos9
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by that I'm not pushing an opinion of eating I was just wondering if there were other vegans or just anyone that has incorporated more veg and fruit meals into there diet paleo or not.
  • melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    yessss and omg its amazing lifestyle... once you see the human body and what were designed to best digest etc, and eat that way, youre mind and body thank you for it!
    ive been carbing the *kitten* up for 2 years now, eat sooooo much more than before and have maintained 48kgs.....
    before on a restrictive animal diet i was 54 kilos on 1200 cals a day,,,,,

so my metabolism is now fixed and eating vegan is soooooo much fun! people think its restrictive but its the opposite!!!! we can eat burritos and pizzas and cheesecakes and everything we want, the only dfference is we dont feel guilty about it because if its all plant based then youre only benefiting your body :)

http://www.peta.org/living/food/top-10-reasons-go-vegan-new-year/
  • joyThegymmonster777
    Options
    i eat a vegan diet but im not vegan. its great
    Options
    That's awesome and I feel the same way everyone's like so what do you eat and I say the same thing I'm like pizza and pasta and potatoes and there like I could never I would be so "fat" or I need the protein I always try to explain its not about carbs it's about what kind and what you put on them !!
    Options

Plant based vegan veg fruitarian raw vegan retail 4 80 10 10 rawtil4
    All the same love lol
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    That's awesome and I feel the same way everyone's like so what do you eat and I say the same thing I'm like pizza and pasta and potatoes and there like I could never I would be so "fat" or I need the protein I always try to explain its not about carbs it's about what kind and what you put on them !!

It's not about carbs or what kind or what you put on them, it's about calories, in terms of weight loss.

Protein, however, is a real need for your body. No amount of fat or carbohydrate will ever contain nitrogen, so none of them can ever build even a single amino acid. You absolutely need sufficient protein to stay alive.

Of course, there are vegan sources of protein, but you have to mix your protein sources to get a complete protein (most plants have low levels of at least one amino acid). That requires a little extra planning. The only thing you truly can't naturally get on a vegan diet is vitamin B12, for which you will need supplements.
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

It's not about carbs or what kind or what you put on them, it's about calories, in terms of weight loss.

Protein, however, is a real need for your body. No amount of fat or carbohydrate will ever contain nitrogen, so none of them can ever build even a single amino acid. You absolutely need sufficient protein to stay alive.

Of course, there are vegan sources of protein, but you have to mix your protein sources to get a complete protein (most plants have low levels of at least one amino acid). That requires a little extra planning. The only thing you truly can't naturally get on a vegan diet is vitamin B12, for which you will need supplements.

I totally agree that is where bcaa and nutritional yeast and all of those things come into play
    There is not one perfect way to eat for every person it's what works for you and your bodies personal needs I follow macronutrients and get more than enough of carbs proteins and fats as well as b vitamins (not just b12) thanks for the feedback
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I've been following a Vegan lifestyle for over a decade. Not sure what you mean by "paleo or not" since there's not really any such thing as paleo Vegan.. that would be next to impossible considering the paleo diet consists mostly of meat and doesn't allow most plants that would be considered the staples of the Vegan diet.

Additionally, I, personally find it hard enough to get essential fats on a Vegan diet, I couldn't imagine trying to eat low fat on a Vegan diet. Not to mention that fat isn't bad for you at all and should be at minimum, .4 grams per pound lb of your lean body mass/day of your diet in order to maintain essential brain, joint, and skin health.

I also do not support Peta as an organization as they tend to do more harm than good than to the "Vegan cause".

Additionally, I also tend to actively discourage people from "going Vegan" if they are not doing for ethical reasons as Vegan is not a diet, it's a lifestyle choice based on a series of ethical concerns regarding animal welfare and sanctity of life and not, as it currently seems, a diet for weight loss or any other concern.

Plant based diets, on the other hand, are not Veganism, by definition, since true and actual Veganism would involve not using any animal products in ANY aspect of your life including diet, fashion, health care products, beauty products, medicine, etc.
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    Plant based vegan veg fruitarian raw vegan retail 4 80 10 10 rawtil4
    All the same love lol

this is patently not true.
    Options

There was a guy on here that said here we go wit the vegan streams and I said how was incorporated more fruits and veggies in his diet weather he was vegan or not I know that paleo is mostly meat that's why I said that to open his mind that I wasn't just going to be one of those people that attack if they hear that you do eat meat and I do macronutrients to ensure that I do get the sufficient amount of fat in my diet not no fat just lower fat and saturated fats really
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    so... what I'm taking from your comments is that you are not, in fact, Vegan, but following a plant based diet. Would that be correct? Because if you don't plan on eliminating all animal products from your lifestyle you are not Vegan by definition.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    can someone tell me if its against the rules to promote those types of "diets" above? Im not talking about vegan diets either. Im talking about the ones that a few certain youtubers promote. not mentioning no names either. not to mention those types of diets above for some people could be dangerous especially if they have health issues and have to watch their carbs
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    can someone tell me if its against the rules to promote those types of "diets" above? Im not talking about vegan diets either. Im talking about the ones that a few certain youtubers promote. not mentioning no names either. not to mention those types of diets above for some people could be dangerous especially if they have health issues and have to watch their carbs

technically only if they are vlcd, which I don't believe they are by definition, but could easily be. It's entirely based on the quantity of calories as far as the ToS are concerned.
    Options
    Anyone on the vegan journey yet? I've lost almost 30 lbs and I'm loving it. I feel all around better and just feel so good about not harming my self or any other living beings. How do you guys feel

Yes I am vegan I don't consume meat eggs dairy honey or any other forms of animal products
    Bc of how horrible it is what they do to those beings that have the exact fear and hope to live as us humans do
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    Do you wear or own leather? Do you take medicine that comes in gel caps? Are all of your household cleaning products, makeup, medicines, etc certified to be not tested on animals? Do you have leather trim in your car? Do you eat any foods or medicines that contain gelatin or come in gelcaps?

None of those things are Vegan.

Note, I'm not trying to be difficult or poke fun, but there are about 50 of these threads a day where people say that they are or are going Vegan for various reasons and it almost never turns out that they are and are in fact, only considering eating a plant based diet and usually under some misguided notion that it's a better diet for weight loss... technically none of those are Vegan since none of them are centralized or focused on the animal welfare aspect or involve the ethical concerns regarding treatment of animals.

Such as up thread, someone linked a Peta thread. Peta, while claiming to be Vegan and promoting animal welfare, are responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of animals a year, many of those euthanization, many simply death by neglect as they free them from factory farms only to allow them to die in a habitat that they are not suited to survive in.
  • melissalatzel25
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

by the way, b12 is in the soil, so the cow eats the grass and the cow gets b12, buttt these days our soils dont have the b12, so many americans on high meat diet are b12 defecient :) everyone can benefit from a b12 supp, i personally take sublingual drops once or twice a week, because even once in your body, it stays a loong time before we become defecient...
  • melissalatzel25
    Options
    Do you wear or own leather? Do you take medicine that comes in gel caps? Are all of your household cleaning products, makeup, medicines, etc certified to be not tested on animals? Do you have leather trim in your car? Do you eat any foods or medicines that contain gelatin or come in gelcaps?

Note, I'm not trying to be difficult or poke fun, but there are about 50 of these threads a day where people say that they are or are going Vegan for various reasons and it almost never turns out that they are and are in fact, only considering eating a plant based diet and usually under some misguided notion that it's a better diet for weight loss... technically none of those are Vegan since none of them are centralized or focused on the animal welfare aspect or involve the ethical concerns regarding treatment of animals.

Such as up thread, someone linked a Peta thread. Peta, while claiming to be Vegan and promoting animal welfare, are responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of animals a year, many of those euthanization, many simply death by neglect as they free them from factory farms only to allow them to die in a habitat that they are not suited to survive in.

even if they arent perfect vegans, its no reason to bash them... veganism is amazing thing they try do to help the animals and environment, shouldnt we support them, say great well done keep it up, instead of focus on the bad always?
    im vegan everywhere in my life, i know so many people that are as compassionate as me , we just try sread a good message, not like were jahovas witnesses or anything :)

its all about the good message, thats amazing guys, it saves animals, thousands of litres of water goes to produce your steak, thousands of hectares on land goes to feed just the animals we are over producing to keep up with the human tastebuds, while many are starving because of that,going plant based gives you EVERYTHING you need (someone up there mentiones mixing foods to get the complete protein, is correct, rice and beans does that)
    and is deliciousssss
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options

While I'm not even close to Vegetarian I have a lot of respect for someone who is so convicted in their beliefs that they go through that much effort, and can explain it in such a respectful way.
  • melissalatzel25
    Options

im sorry if peta is linked to some death , i dint know about that, but at least they doing more than most of the human population who really dont care. they have useful tips for wannabe vegans, what to wear, cruelty free brands, i think thats why i linked it, because theres good stuff in the website thats for sure.... 1 thing us vegans have to deal with is alot of people scruitinize our decision and im not sure the logic behind why.....