EDollah has logged in for 1000 days in a row!

EDollah
EDollah Posts: 464 Member
The subject heading was a message I saw when I logged in this morning. I used to view streaks like this with some level of skepticism, at least for people that didn’t seem to be making progress. I’d wonder what was the point of logging in if you weren’t doing so to stick to a plan. I’ve come around on this way of thinking though.

Two years ago, I wrote this post in the “Success Stories” forum: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1153071/phase-one-complete-110-pounds-lost-in-8-months/p1 where I detailed losing about 110 pounds (340 to 230), the end of a 1st phase. I went on to lose another 40+ pounds (186 at the lowest) to reach close to a goal weight. I was at the planning stage of composing a sequel to that post, but wanted to lose a FEW more pounds before doing so. A weird thing happened though, weight went back up up up. I’m talking about up to 250 pounds. Fortunately I got things back under control and lost another 20 pounds, that takes us to current date where I’ve gained back those 20 pounds and am back to 250.

Not much of a success story, you the reader, may be thinking and I agree, this isn’t the update I wanted to write. However, at this 1,000 day mark, I do take some satisfaction for where things stand currently. Over the years, I’ve had several attempts at weight loss, each time, at least for those efforts over 1,001 days ago, all of the weight would return with the bonus of even more weight added.

I’ve found that logging in, just to log in, tethers me to a healthy lifestyle of mindful eating and exercise. Even if I happened to be in a “bad” phase, where consumption was out of whack, the simple act of logging in, even if not to update my food diary, would remind me of what I needed to do. Sometimes (not every time), this would keep good days from becoming bad, bad days from becoming disastrous, and disastrous days from becoming disastrous-er.

So, the “success” here, such as it is, comes from not only not gaining all of the weight back, but from being able to recognize when it was time to get back on track, which is the state I’m at right now. Eventually, of course, I’d like to get down to a target weight and stay there forever and ever. That hasn’t happened yet but that doesn’t mean it won’t and that I don’t keep trying. I’ve learned some lessons about what doesn’t work - specifically, candy bags around the house are my kryptonite. “Just learn moderation” hasn’t worked for me for this stuff. Everything else that used to be problematic (pizza, ice cream) is manageable, but not cheap, store bought candy, go figure.

Hopefully my “part 3” update where I write about hitting an ultimate goal and maintaining for a period will be published before my 2000 day streak, for now I’ll just keep plugging away!

Replies

• MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    This is AWESOME! Congrats on everything you've accomplished and most of all, recognizing when bad gets bad it doesn't have to stay bad! Happy logging!!!
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    THIS is the post I needed to read today... I just hit one year with MFP on Jan. 19 and have "only" lost about half (48 lbs) the weight I wanted to lose in one year's time. There was a rough patch over the holidays of not logging in and eating out of control, but thankfully that's behind me.
    "I’ve found that logging in, just to log in, tethers me to a healthy lifestyle of mindful eating and exercise. Even if I happened to be in a “bad” phase, where consumption was out of whack, the simple act of logging in, even if not to update my food diary, would remind me of what I needed to do. Sometimes (not every time), this would keep good days from becoming bad, bad days from becoming disastrous, and disastrous days from becoming disastrous-er."

Words to live by.

Congratulations on the big 1-0-0-0 and your determination.
  • thenananator
    thenananator Posts: 273 Member
    Such and amazing success story ---totally appropriate to share as a success. Sometimes, success means for me only eating 14 chips (serving size) instead of the whole darn bag. So, I get it and thanks for your perspective.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    What a fabulous motivator. Not in the numbers (entirely) but in the mind set and how it needs to change too.
    Great luck on part 3 and thank you so much for sharing your ups and downs. It reminds me that the "100 lost in 10 year" folks are real people doing real things. Kudos.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    edited January 2016
    EDollah wrote: »
    I’ve found that logging in, just to log in, tethers me to a healthy lifestyle of mindful eating and exercise. Even if I happened to be in a “bad” phase, where consumption was out of whack, the simple act of logging in, even if not to update my food diary, would remind me of what I needed to do. Sometimes (not every time), this would keep good days from becoming bad, bad days from becoming disastrous, and disastrous days from becoming disastrous-er.

+1
    Agree completely and it really does help.

ETA: Just finished reading your 2013 "phase 1" post. You have a way with words; I really enjoyed it.
  • mausbop
    mausbop Posts: 554 Member
    More people should read this topic because it's really eyes opening! I'll share it with my friends and hopefully help who is struggling and , like me, just got back in MFP after a (too long) break.
    Consistence is the key, whether is just logging in or logging food. You must be consistent with something.

Thank you for writing this!
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited January 2016
    "I’ve found that logging in, just to log in, tethers me to a healthy lifestyle of mindful eating and exercise. Even if I happened to be in a “bad” phase, where consumption was out of whack, the simple act of logging in, even if not to update my food diary, would remind me of what I needed to do. Sometimes (not every time), this would keep good days from becoming bad, bad days from becoming disastrous, and disastrous days from becoming disastrous-er."

Thanks for the Phase 2 update... Too true that just the act of logging keeps you anchored.
    For me, bad month post holiday season and I just decided to eat anything (not satisfying at all). Very supportive friends on MFP; great inspirational posts like this one. Tomorrow, I will let my 150 days streak die and resume on the 1st of phase from day 1on MFP, phase 2 where I lose the same I already did I should be at "normal" weight in 4 months.

Good luck on your "phase 3"!
  • tcarroll120
    tcarroll120 Posts: 49 Member
    Yes this is a tough battle. Weight loss at any stage is something. It makes me realize how we treat our weight is exactly how we treat our lives. This just reminds me also not to let go of my goal even in those low spots or when food tastes way too good (which is my problem) can't wait to see what's to come in the future. You can do it!! Thank you for being transparent.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!