I think I missed the Clean Eating memo...

Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    if you clicked on the link i provided, that's what it says, minus the milk. i mentioned sugar because if you don't make your own sauce (many people don't), store-bought jars of sauce generally have added sugar.

and like i said before, eat what you want, just be objective about the nutrition

OP specified making her own sauce.

Btw, the claim about store-bought sauces (which I avoid because I am a sauce snob) being full of added sugar seems highly misleading. The labels don't separate naturally occurring and added. I have a recipe for a homemade meat sauce with lean ground beef (from a local farm, I don't think ground beef is unhealthy in moderation--I much prefer eating a variety of meats, but I digress), lots of added vegetables including spinach, zucchini, a base of carrots, onion and celery, and of course tomatoes, NO added sugar. The sugar count was the same as for at least one popular storebought brand. Tomatoes and onions and other veg have sugar. I am sure there's some added sugar in the sauce (my Fundamentals of Italian Cooking book recommends adding a bit of sugar to a marinara, although I never have, and that's what those sauces often are), but the idea that it's tons or makes the sauce unhealthy seems off-base to me.

Also, beyond a fun meatball recipe I played with on Thanksgiving, ground turkey depresses me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I make my own meat sauce too (I know it's not really Bolognese so I don't call it that, but whatever).

But for what it's worth... A satisfying amount of pasta and meat sauce for me is about 550 calories. I can make a cheeseburger for 400 calories (160 cal patty, 140 calories bun, 50 calories cheese, 50 calories of random condiments).

So just make yourself a cheeseburger...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »

Sorry, what's not healthy about it? You have a good mix of proteins, carbs, fats?

what's not healthy about pepperoni pizza? that's also a mix of proteins, carbs and fats
    ;)

But if I ate a nutritious breakfast and lunch, with plenty of veggies and lean protein, and had enough calories left, what's "unhealthy" about having a couple of slices of pizza or a serving of spaghetti bolognese for dinner? Everything requires context.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I make my own meat sauce too (I know it's not really Bolognese so I don't call it that, but whatever).

I don't either, but in the UK it seems to be used for meat sauce in general (based on what I've learned from the discussions here and British TV shows). I could be wrong, though.
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »

Sorry, what's not healthy about it? You have a good mix of proteins, carbs, fats?

what's not healthy about pepperoni pizza? that's also a mix of proteins, carbs and fats
    ;)

Haha true.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I buy absolutely loads of Kale, the bunnies love it.....
  • dietcepheus
    dietcepheus Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't see what's that unhealthy about lean beef mince with cooked tomatoes, onion and garlic, and some pasta.

Sure, OP might be using high fat mince, jarred sauce laden with sugar, and really piling on the pasta and cheese. And that would arguably be unhealthy. But since OP gave no indication they do, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I hate this sort of thinking and I think it leads to orthorexia.

I know someone who won't eat a banana because of it's sugar content. Who won't eat fat unless it came from an avocado. Who thinks olive oil has 'too many carcinogens'. This clean eating has gone mental.

Food is for energy, for protein and for essential micronutrients. You can't get a ton of vitamins from spaghetti and you can't live on kale. It's about balance and being sensible, if I spent life worring about the nutritional content of everything that goes in my mouth, well that would be a miserable existence.