How to lose 2 pounds per week?

Options
2»

Replies

• brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Why the rush?

I am seeing the results on the scale but physically, I am not seeing results.
    Yet.

You're not not seeing the results yet. Patience.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Another quick hijack on this, I have been wondering with these guidelines/rule of thumb ""75+ lbs to lose: 2 lbs per week; 50-75 lbs to lose: 1.5 lbs per week; 20-50 lbs to lose: 1 lb per week; < 20 lbs to lose: < 1 lb per week"
    What if a person wants to lose 20lbs but they could still lose another 10lbs (or even more) on top of that and still be healthy? Do they follow the >1lb/wk, or 1lb a week idea? Sorry for the odd question, I just kind of wonder since sometimes we have mini-goals set, or even have more weight to lose than we realize?
    maidengirl_ wrote: »
    I have taken body measurements as well. I will remeasure 30 days from the date of those initial measurements to see the difference. As for cutting calories, I have been changing my calorie goal for every week of weight loss. Not sure if this is normal to do. Like if, I lose 1.2 pounds or so, I change my goal to match my current weight for that week. I'm new to weight loss.

Weight loss really is not linear, at all. I have lost a bit over 100lbs, and within the last 20-30lbs, there are days I sometimes still don't see any lose. I have been at my current weight for around a year at that, so I know my mind is playing tricks on me.
    Measurements have help me see the results, along with the scale, and photos. The general rule on changing your calorie intake with weigh lost is every 5-10lbs, (not 100% sure) so you don't have to do it weekly.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Another quick hijack on this, I have been wondering with these guidelines/rule of thumb ""75+ lbs to lose: 2 lbs per week; 50-75 lbs to lose: 1.5 lbs per week; 20-50 lbs to lose: 1 lb per week; < 20 lbs to lose: < 1 lb per week"
    What if a person wants to lose 20lbs but they could still lose another 10lbs (or even more) on top of that and still be healthy? Do they follow the >1lb/wk, or 1lb a week idea? Sorry for the odd question, I just kind of wonder since sometimes we have mini-goals set, or even have more weight to lose than we realize?
    I have taken body measurements as well. I will remeasure 30 days from the date of those initial measurements to see the difference. As for cutting calories, I have been changing my calorie goal for every week of weight loss. Not sure if this is normal to do. Like if, I lose 1.2 pounds or so, I change my goal to match my current weight for that week. I'm new to weight loss.

Weight loss really is not linear, at all. I have lost a bit over 100lbs, and within the last 20-30lbs, there are days I sometimes still don't see any lose. I have been at my current weight for around a year at that, so I know my mind is playing tricks on me.
    Measurements have help me see the results, along with the scale, and photos. The general rule on changing your calorie intake with weigh lost is every 5-10lbs, (not 100% sure) so you don't have to do it weekly.

Yeah, I don't really agree with the oft-posted guidelines/rules of thumb. I'm currently 153, aiming at 137, so 16 pounds to goal. I have my deficit set for a pound a week. I intend to keep it there until I'd have to eat less than 1500 calories per day (eat, not net) to lose. At that point I'll lessen my deficit, as I'm not willing to eat less than 1500 for more than a few days straight.

I also disagree with the top side of the guidelines/rules of thumb, as I believe that even with 75 pounds to lose, most women should set their deficit to 1 pound a week. But in reality, that chart is something that somebody made up as a suggestion. I've never seen any kind of scientific basis for it, just as there's no scientific basis for my own rules of thumb, which are based on my observations and personal experience.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It becomes a math equation. A body burns energy based on its height, weight, age, gender and activity level/exercise. In general women burn less than men, bigger burn more than smaller, younger burn more than older.

Depending on your gender/age/size and how much you move in a day, it may not be realistic to burn enough create a 1000/day deficit (needed for 2 pounds per week) and still be able to eat enough for proper nutrition and to fuel your activity.
  • acarpenter6
    acarpenter6 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Yeah, I don't really agree with the oft-posted guidelines/rules of thumb. I'm currently 153, aiming at 137, so 16 pounds to goal. I have my deficit set for a pound a week. I intend to keep it there until I'd have to eat less than 1500 calories per day (eat, not net) to lose. At that point I'll lessen my deficit, as I'm not willing to eat less than 1500 for more than a few days straight.

I also disagree with the top side of the guidelines/rules of thumb, as I believe that even with 75 pounds to lose, most women should set their deficit to 1 pound a week. But in reality, that chart is something that somebody made up as a suggestion. I've never seen any kind of scientific basis for it, just as there's no scientific basis for my own rules of thumb, which are based on my observations and personal experience.

I'm also 153 and aiming for 137 (:
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

There is no scientific basis for it...other than generally speaking, the more you have to lose (aka, the more obese you currently are), the larger deficit you can safely create without sacrificing adequate nutrition.

Someone with a TDEE (due to being, say 275 lbs) of 2800 can easily afford a 1000 calorie a day deficit

Someone with a TDEE (due to being, say 190 lbs) of 2000 - not so much. But he/she could afford a 500 calorie deficit.

It's a rule of thumb...not an immutable law.

I tend to agree though, that in many cases it's advisable to set a more conservative goal. Even if you COULD lose 2 lbs per week safely, a goal of 1 lb per week is often going to be more sustainable, and can be mentally/emotionally motivating on the occasions that you 'beat' that goal.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi all,

I started my weight loss journey over a month ago. So far, I have lost 6 pounds (42 more to go). I have reduced my calorie intake to 1500 calories with at least 30 minutes to an hour of physical activity (workout dvds, walking, treadmill, weight training) and I still am only losing 1.2-1.7 pounds per week. I can't seem to get over the 1 pound threshold and consistently lose 2 pounds a week to see results. Is there anything I can do to maximize results? This week, I am reducing my calorie intake to 1422 (current weight 183) to see if I see results. Any tips would be helpful.

don't decrease calories,
    Increase cardio to 2hrs and see what happens
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

There is no scientific basis for it...other than generally speaking, the more you have to lose (aka, the more obese you currently are), the larger deficit you can safely create without sacrificing adequate nutrition.

Someone with a TDEE (due to being, say 275 lbs) of 2800 can easily afford a 1000 calorie a day deficit

Someone with a TDEE (due to being, say 190 lbs) of 2000 - not so much. But he/she could afford a 500 calorie deficit.

It's a rule of thumb...not an immutable law.

I tend to agree though, that in many cases it's advisable to set a more conservative goal. Even if you COULD lose 2 lbs per week safely, a goal of 1 lb per week is often going to be more sustainable, and can be mentally/emotionally motivating on the occasions that you 'beat' that goal.

Oh, I understand all of that. I just think that people post it and post it and post it and I kind of feel like it is this apocryphal list that people think must be adhered to in order to do things "the right way."
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,118 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi all,

I started my weight loss journey over a month ago. So far, I have lost 6 pounds (42 more to go). I have reduced my calorie intake to 1500 calories with at least 30 minutes to an hour of physical activity (workout dvds, walking, treadmill, weight training) and I still am only losing 1.2-1.7 pounds per week. I can't seem to get over the 1 pound threshold and consistently lose 2 pounds a week to see results. Is there anything I can do to maximize results? This week, I am reducing my calorie intake to 1422 (current weight 183) to see if I see results. Any tips would be helpful.

I lost 15 kg in 16 weeks when I first started here. I was overweight, but not obese and I dropped into my normal BMI range.

I did it by setting my calories at 1250 + eating half my exercise calories.

Then I upped my calories to 1350 + half my exercise calories and slowed my loss for the next 10 kg.

I'm easing my way back to that (or maybe 1250 again). This week I'm at 1450 cal ... next week I'll be at 1400 cal ... the week after 1350 cal, etc. I'd like to knock off these last few kg.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,118 Member
    Options
    Why the rush?

I am seeing the results on the scale but physically, I am not seeing results.

That takes a long time. I didn't start to see it until I had lost about 10-12 kg.

• Pattsy1979
    Pattsy1979 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    So, the 2 pounds per week weight loss is only recommended for those who have 75 pounds or more to lose.

With only needing to lose a total of 58 pounds (the 6 you've lost, plus the 42 you still have to lose), you're better off aiming to lose 1 to 1.5 pounds a week. You'd have to cut your calories drastically or exercise like crazy to create the deficit to be able to lose 2 pounds a week (outside of water weight losses).

Edit: to fix my spelling goof.

Really? I didn't know that. So my weight loss is spot on then?? I just thought I wasn't being active enough. I wasn't expecting the biggest loser numbers because I know those numbers aren't accurate but I thought 2 pounds per week was attainable even at my current weight. I appreciate the feedback!

Me too I didn't know that either. I have only 10 lbs to lose to achieve my goal and I wanted to target 2lbs per week. ( lost 8lbs already on 3rd week however 1st week was mainly water retention. ) I lost 3 this week which I was surprised about but really pleased as I did step up yh
  • kylasantucci
    kylasantucci Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Every ones body is different. With the Dr Phil 20 20 diet I'm losing 2 pounds a week was at 190 now 180. And I'm very healthy however my calorie intake is 1200. With 30 min a day at least of dancing. But a pound would be good anuf for me. Take a picture of your self every week trust me you will see the difference.