Just had one of those scratch your head moments

Options
jeffpettis
jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
So I'm sitting at my desk, and notice the "Nutrition Facts" label on my Wrigley's Spearmint gum container, and I notice that there are 5 calories in 2 pieces of gum. Now my question is, do the calories only count if you swallow the gum??? Not that it really matters, but it kind of made me scratch my head.:smile: LOL!!!

Replies

• waterjogger
    waterjogger Posts: 114
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Good question!
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    That's a really good question... I've never though about it haha. I'm sure that its if you don't swallow the gum or else they'd just say 0. You know how those food companies can be. :P
  • veggievixen
    veggievixen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If only that's how it worked! No, the sweet taste while you chew is that 5 calories mixing with your saliva. :)
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I always swallow gum. This is why I rarely chew gum.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options

I always spit.

We're talking about gum, right?
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Spitting is rude.

Yes. Gum.
  • jeffpettis
    Options

I always spit.

We're talking about gum, right?

LOL!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Sugar alcohol in the gum is the source of the calories, or sugar itself. The gum's sugars are absorbed through the skin of the mouth. You could put the gum in the side of your cheek and still result in the 5 calories...I have a 2 pack a day habit...
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Oh are we still talking about gum?
  • MsLadyVirgo
    MsLadyVirgo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    HAHAHAHAHA SO funny you ask this question. I asked this very same question at work one day about a year ago - and noone had the answer. And they all thought I was a little nutty for even asking - but it made them scratch their heads too. It's a multi-faceted question.
    1. If you don't swallow the gum, does it still count as all 5 calories?
    2. If you only chew the gum for a few seconds, do you only ingest a portion of the calories- and if so does the rate of calorie intake per seconds chewed vary from gum to gum?
    3. If the calories counted on the package are in the flavor part alone - and you also swallow the gum, do you ingest more calories?
    4. And lastly - does chewing the gum for a long time burn more calories than are in it in the first place?

I say this is a job for the MYTHBUSTERS!!!
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    4. And lastly - does chewing the gum for a long time burn more calories than are in it in the first place?

I Love It!!! There are people out there that do think like me, so I'm not crazy... Wait, or are "we"???
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    LOL yes it counts ;) hehe they don't intend for you to eat it! Actually, the calories probably come from the sugar and/or sugar alcohols they put into the gum. You know how the sweet taste disappears after a while? that means all the calories are gonesies :O]
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    LOL yes it counts ;) hehe they don't intend for you to eat it! Actually, the calories probably come from the sugar and/or sugar alcohols they put into the gum. You know how the sweet taste disappears after a while? that means all the calories are gonesies :O]

So... If I only chew it for a few minutes, not until all the flavor is gone I'm cutting the calories in half! Right???:wink:
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha, love this! I don't count them.. is that bad? lol
    HAHAHAHAHA SO funny you ask this question. I asked this very same question at work one day about a year ago - and noone had the answer. And they all thought I was a little nutty for even asking - but it made them scratch their heads too. It's a multi-faceted question.
    2. If you only chew the gum for a few seconds, do you only ingest a portion of the calories- and if so does the rate of calorie intake per seconds chewed vary from gum to gum?
    3. If the calories counted on the package are in the flavor part alone - and you also swallow the gum, do you ingest more calories?

• LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options

I Love It!!! There are people out there that do think like me, so I'm not crazy... Wait, or are "we"???

:) If this makes us crazy - well I'm pretty sure we aren't the only ones.
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    Hahahaha, love this! I don't count them.. is that bad? lol

I have never counted them either, so I guess I have been lying to myself all along when I enter my food everyday:sad: :sad: !!!
  • jeffpettis
    Options

Amen Sister!!!:wink:
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options

I actually had this debate with myself when I first started logging everything and decided I burned off the calories in the act of chewing it and never entered it into my diary... but yes, I thought about it for a bit before deciding... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I like to think that if I chew the gum long enough, I will burn those calories right up! lol