Help! I have a desk job!

Options
I'm a Senior Library Clerk, which means I spend 7 hours behind a computer. I get up and walk around every hour or so, and take a walk outside during my lunch time permitting. My office is pretty open, so I'm not really comfortable doing jumping jacks behind my desk! Also, I walk for 30-40 min with my dog everyday after work. How do you guys stay in shape when you have a sedentary job? Any suggestions?

Replies

• srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I stand and walk around when I can. Mostly it's just going to the gym 3-4x a week and being active that way. Just don't sit for too long or your back/hips will get tight and it'll hurt you long-term.

BTW, you are the epitome of a pretty library nerd lol
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Exercise sometime during the other 17 hours of the day :)
  • evayna
    evayna Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    srv524 wrote: »
    I stand and walk around when I can. Mostly it's just going to the gym 3-4x a week and being active that way. Just don't sit for too long or your back/hips will get tight and it'll hurt you long-term.

BTW, you are the epitome of a pretty library nerd lol

Thank you for that!! :blush: I love my job! I haven't built up enough self confidence to join a gym just yet! :neutral:
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    you have the right idea. Make it a point to get up and walk around. You might want to consider purchasing a step counter if you don't already have one. There are many on the market from the basic step counters to the high tech counters. I personally have a fit bit and just being aware of my daily steps makes me want to move more. I also go to the gym 3-6 days a week. Consider joining a gym, or signing up for a program offered at a gym that you might like. Find an activity that you enjoy doing and incorporate that into your day. If joining a gym isn't for you consider purchasing at home programs. There are many and some don't require any equipment.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I walk daily for my lunch hour and aim for 2.5-3mi. Nothing too crazy.
    Then I work out 3-4 nights a week lifting. Just started SL 5x5.
    And I eat TDEE less 20% - making sure I eat my protein.
    Gotta get in where you fit in. Try working out in the morning or evenings.
  • MTgal477
    MTgal477 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job :( I just try to make sure that I don't snack all day, since I don't move much, then I make it a point to get my work out in every day....I use an elliptical and a treadmill and an ab lounger, then I do push ups and planks and sometimes a few lunges.
  • evayna
    Options
    RachelX04 wrote: »
    you have the right idea. Make it a point to get up and walk around. You might want to consider purchasing a step counter if you don't already have one. There are many on the market from the basic step counters to the high tech counters. I personally have a fit bit and just being aware of my daily steps makes me want to move more. I also go to the gym 3-6 days a week. Consider joining a gym, or signing up for a program offered at a gym that you might like. Find an activity that you enjoy doing and incorporate that into your day. If joining a gym isn't for you consider purchasing at home programs. There are many and some don't require any equipment.

I don't have a pedometer! But that is probably something I should invest in thank you!!
  • srv524
    Options

Agree on the step counter. You can even use an app on your smart one as a step counter also. Try to get in at least 5,000 steps a day if possible. And if you don't have enough self-confidence to join a gym (which I don't see why not) then start with some basic DVD's or workout programs at home. Pull-ups, ab rolls/crunches, push-ups, bare squats, dips, etc. You can do a TON with just your bodyweight/basic furniture.

Also, focus on technique more than reps. I see so many people who do half-pushups, pull their necks up while doing crunches, and other poor exercises that rob them of the full benefit of the exercise. Focus on technique, go slowly, and once you have that down you can then work on adding more resistance or reps.
  • Kayjnn
    Kayjnn Posts: 4 Member
    Options

This!
  • evayna
    Options
    mntnwmn477 wrote: »
    I also have a desk job :( I just try to make sure that I don't snack all day, since I don't move much, then I make it a point to get my work out in every day....I use an elliptical and a treadmill and an ab lounger, then I do push ups and planks and sometimes a few lunges.

I drink alot of tea, i noticed it helps with snack cravings!
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    SMOOCHES.

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I'm a software engineer, and I don't exercise at work outside of maybe a walk over lunch.

I exercise at home and eat to create a calorie deficit. You don't need a gym either, just do bodyweight exercises at home - http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You walk for 30-40 mins everyday, if you're just starting out that's enough activity. Going to the gym can be scary, so I would fit another walk in (twice per day) or walk a little faster, build up the endurance with hills.
  • ChrisRendon1128
    ChrisRendon1128 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job as well.. I wake up at 5:00AM for my workouts.. I don't have as much time after work because I have 2 small kids. I have a Fitbit like someone mentioned above and it really does motivate you to move around more :) Good luck!
  • evayna
    Options
    You walk for 30-40 mins everyday, if you're just starting out that's enough activity. Going to the gym can be scary, so I would fit another walk in (twice per day) or walk a little faster, build up the endurance with hills.

I think I walk pretty fast, considering I have an 80lb rottweiler pulling me! haha :smile:
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

39871-NPH-highest-of-fives-gif-ifJb.gif
  • evayna
    Options

I do, I walk my dog 30-40 mins every day and in the summer time I ride my bike.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    evayna wrote: »

I think I walk pretty fast, considering I have an 80lb rottweiler pulling me! haha :smile:

You could start jogging a little, easing into it.
  • srv524
    Options

www.couchto5k.com has good walking/running programs
  • evayna
    Options

Thats a good idea! Thanks!