Help! I have a desk job!

Options
2»

Replies

• whooRAWRowlbear
    whooRAWRowlbear Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I work as a programmer, so I'm at a desk 8+ hours a day (plus 45-120 minute commute to/from work depending on traffic and related accidents). I try to get up every hour and take a walk around my floor (using the long way to get to the ladies room), take the stairs down to lunch (I'm working towards taking them back up as I work on the fifth floor), and often stand and move around my office while I'm on the clock. Off the clock, I've picked up C25K three times a week.

I also pack my own snacks, lunches, and breakfasts so I'm not as tempted by the cafeteria or break room snacks. A couple of times a month, my team does birthdays/other celebrations, so I allow myself to have a small slice of cake, a cookie, or a single piece of whatever is being served. I stay pretty close to what I plan to eat, except for the little treats, but I enjoy them, and I'm on a team where there are a number of other people who don't eat them, so I'm not alone if I decide to forgo the sweets.
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    So I have a desk job as well... I get two 15's and one 30 min (lunch) which I walk on all 3 breaks. I have a Fitbit Charge HR (Definitely recommend as others mentioned as well) it gets me at almost 5000 steps by the end up of the day with walking for breaks and getting up for regular stuff as well like kitchen or bathroom. I then will go to the gym 6 days a week but on my down days I still try to get 10,000 steps and it is helping. If I don't want to go to the gym or can't get there I try to youtube work out stuff at home with out machines or weights. Hope this helps!
  • evayna
    evayna Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    So I have a desk job as well... I get two 15's and one 30 min (lunch) which I walk on all 3 breaks. I have a Fitbit Charge HR (Definitely recommend as others mentioned as well) it gets me at almost 5000 steps by the end up of the day with walking for breaks and getting up for regular stuff as well like kitchen or bathroom. I then will go to the gym 6 days a week but on my down days I still try to get 10,000 steps and it is helping. If I don't want to go to the gym or can't get there I try to youtube work out stuff at home with out machines or weights. Hope this helps!

I don't know why I didn't think of youtube workout videos! lol Thank you!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job.

I go to the gym at 6AM before work twice a week and run for an hour or so, twice a week I use my lunch break to hit the gym for some strength training and a short cardio session, and I also run first thing in the morning on weekends so it's out of my way and I can spend the rest of my time doing whatever.

I also walk to work (1hr roundtrip walking commute) but I know that's not practical for most people.

If my routine gets disrupted, I have a quick snack after work and go right to the gym then instead, so I can get it out of my way and relax for the rest of the evening.

My Fitbit says I average about 18,000 steps/day (more if I'm doing longer weekend runs) so I manage to stay pretty active. It just takes some planning and a willingness to get to bed at a reasonable hour, for me.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    quit.
  • srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    quit.

Good job ace
  • evayna
    Options
    quit.

Fantastic advice! Thanks so much for your contribution!
  • srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    evayna wrote: »
    quit.

Fantastic advice! Thanks so much for your contribution!

+1
  • Saraness
    Saraness Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm a Senior Library Clerk, which means I spend 7 hours behind a computer. I get up and walk around every hour or so, and take a walk outside during my lunch time permitting. My office is pretty open, so I'm not really comfortable doing jumping jacks behind my desk! Also, I walk for 30-40 min with my dog everyday after work. How do you guys stay in shape when you have a sedentary job? Any suggestions?

Can I just say that, if you are worried about staying in shape go to the gym after work. About a year ago I worked 6 days a week as a server in very busy restaurants on my feet for about 6-8 hours each shift and I gained 30lbs. I was not in shape and I worked a very active job. It wasn't till I started to out calories and work-out regularly that I lost the weight and have become a more in shape person.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    How do you guys stay in shape when you have a sedentary job? Any suggestions?
    I exercise before or after work. :)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    quit.

Are you volunteering to pay her bills?

OP, if you don't want to join a gym, workout at home. You walk your dog and ride your bike. If you feel like you need more, go to Youtube and find exercise videos. Some channels to look at are Blogilates, BodyFit By Amy, Fitness Blender, BodyRock, Tone It Up, Autumn Calabrese, and Yoga w/ Adriene.
  • evayna
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    quit.

Are you volunteering to pay her bills?

OP, if you don't want to join a gym, workout at home. You walk your dog and ride your bike. If you feel like you need more, go to Youtube and find exercise videos. Some channels to look at are Blogilates, BodyFit By Amy, Fitness Blender, BodyRock, Tone It Up, Autumn Calabrese, and Yoga w/ Adriene.

Thank you! Thats really helpful! I think once I lose about 20 lbs, I'll feel more comfortable going to a gym!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i run in the morning. teach yoga once a week and am adding some more conditioning work 2 more times a week.
    i have a desk job as well and don't move much during the day
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job and I commute 3 hours per day. Here's a few suggestions:

1. go to the gym before work. Yes, as in 5 am. There is nothing to be afraid about going to the gym. Go tour one - you will see people of all shapes sizes and abilities. There are tons of options - weights, cardio, classes.

2. jog 30 min at lunch. Maybe not ideal, but some days I do it.

3. go to the gym right after work. Don't go home first - just go to the gym. Put a snack in the car so you have no excuse for being too hungry to work out.

4. get a couple videos that you enjoy - yoga, circuit training, etc. - and do them at home in the evening.

5. get some phone apps you like and do them while you watch tv in the evening. (I do a lot of my core work this way.)

6. go to the gym after dinner. No shame in being the last one out of the gym.

7. save some workouts for the weekend - don't try to do them all during the week. I run with a running club on Saturday mornings or do yoga classes on Sundays.

The key is to find something you are excited about and commit to doing it. Change isn't always easy.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I exercise after work.