Finally at weight now need to maintain any pointers

Options
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• 19Remco80
    19Remco80 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well done! calculate your TDEE on for example: http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/. Than you will maintain your weight
  • Carina219
    Carina219 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What does tdee mean?
  • 19Remco80
    Options
    That stands for: TOTAL ENERGY EXPENDITURE. This shows you the amount of calories you need on a day. If you go under you lose weight, if you eat your tdee you maintain your weight, if you eat more, you gain waight.
  • Carina219
    Options
    It's says my bmr is 1400 and tdee is 2400. What exactly does this mean
  • Carina219
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Okay so eating around 2400 would keep me at my current weight . That seems like so much but makes sense when I take my workout into consideration. What does bmr calories mean? Sorry so many questions and thank you for all the help!
  • 19Remco80
    Options
    No problem! http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/showthread.php?tid=1. Here is a site witch explains the meaning of BMR and TDEE. I appoligize for my English grammar. Í'm Dutch, there will be some mistakes in my replies ;-)
  • Carina219
    edited January 2016
    Options
    :) Oh no problem! Obviously my typing sucks too! Thank you greatly!!! I will go more in depth with the links you sent!!
  • 19Remco80
    Options
    Your Welcome! And good luck! I'am jealous at your result!
  • Carina219
    Options
    Why jealous!
  • 19Remco80
    Options
    Just look at your before and after picture! Do I have to say more? ;)
  • Carina219
    Options
    Oh ya thanks!!! I forgot I just changed that ! I went from 198 to 145lbs! I started changing my habits in August 2015!! I've been pretty consistent with eating and working out and supplementing my body correctly!! So thank you!! :)
  • Carina219
    Options
    Thank you totaldetermination I will look into it!!!
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm always unsure about what my TDEE should be. Don't know whether I count as "sedentary" or "lightly active", don't know how much excercise to add because I usually do 30 minutes a day of cardio but a couple times a week I'll do 45 minutes or strength training.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Dreysander wrote: »
    I'm always unsure about what my TDEE should be. Don't know whether I count as "sedentary" or "lightly active", don't know how much excercise to add because I usually do 30 minutes a day of cardio but a couple times a week I'll do 45 minutes or strength training.

One of the reasons I enjoy my fitbit. It calculates my tdee for me. I think the best bet though is to select sedentary and add exercise calories in. If you continue to loose eat more each week till you stop.
  • Soloflyergirl2
    Soloflyergirl2 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Now that you reached your goal... don't talk about it with too many people. They will start offering you candy.... pizza... all the temptations .... some people will do that... not all... You have created a lifestyle of eating and exercising.... Continue to log all of that as often as you can... so you are not tempted to go off the plan and regain the weight. I'm not saying people are mean, but once they see how good you look, some jealousy and intimidation may occur by the closest people. They are afraid you will leave.... and explore the world .... but no.. you won't ..You are just showing self love... and that is okay...
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You can eat candy and pizza if you work it into your calories / macros.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Now that you reached your goal... don't talk about it with too many people. They will start offering you candy.... pizza... all the temptations .... some people will do that... not all... You have created a lifestyle of eating and exercising.... Continue to log all of that as often as you can... so you are not tempted to go off the plan and regain the weight. I'm not saying people are mean, but once they see how good you look, some jealousy and intimidation may occur by the closest people. They are afraid you will leave.... and explore the world .... but no.. you won't ..You are just showing self love... and that is okay...
    Dreysander wrote: »
    You can eat candy and pizza if you work it into your calories / macros.

Both of these are true. Yes, you can fit whatever you want into your calories/macros, but unless you want to be hungry all day long, you can't fit them in at every meal, which is what can happen if you see these food-pushers on a daily basis. Also, eating healthier feels good overall, so I personally don't make the extra effort to add in a treat everyday like I used to. If I crave something, I'll fit in on my own time.
    My more insecure acquaintances have definitely tried to get me to eat whatever they're eating (usually calorie-dense and not worth it imo), and if I wasn't so dead set on this new lifestyle, I might've caved in. Still, it is indeed very tempting to fall back into old habits and mindlessly eat once again, so it is true that based on your personality/willpower, it is best to keep quiet.
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight and then ended up regaining 30 lbs in the next few months. I'm currently trying to get back to where I was, but it's discouraging to have backtracked. If I think of the mistakes I made -

1) I stopped checking my weight frequently. I thought that I was finished and I didn't have to monitor my weight as much. This is wrong, especially for those that have a tendency to put on weight quickly. I hadn't checked in a couple weeks and realized I had gained 10 lbs. Check your weight everyday.

2) I stopped setting goals. You need something new to strive for that you can measure and continue to challenge yourself. If you keep working out, perhaps think of a new bench press goal or how fast you can run a mile, etc.

3) Make small dietary changes. Don't go from eating 1200 calories to 2500 as soon as you reach your goal weight. Week 1 - increase by maybe 100 calories and see how your body responds and continue to make small changes.

Hope that helps
  • stormyview
    stormyview Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight and then ended up regaining 30 lbs in the next few months. I'm currently trying to get back to where I was, but it's discouraging to have backtracked. If I think of the mistakes I made -

1) I stopped checking my weight frequently. I thought that I was finished and I didn't have to monitor my weight as much. This is wrong, especially for those that have a tendency to put on weight quickly. I hadn't checked in a couple weeks and realized I had gained 10 lbs. Check your weight every day.

A million times this!!

I maintain without tracking most of the time, but I check my weight pretty much every day. That way I will know when I've gone up. It's a lot easier to correct a 2-pound gain than a 10-pound gain!

This is also why I keep a relatively narrow range. If I see my weight up two pounds or more for more than a few days, I start restricting a bit. I don't wait to see if it will become 3 or 4 pounds. In fact, if I stop seeing my target weight or the number one below it for more than about a week, I cut back until I'm seeing it again. I know that for me, if I don't see my target number for more than a week, I've gained a bit. My normal fluctuations don't last that long.

If much rather stay on top of my weight and only have to lose a pound or two than to have a larger range and have to keep dieting to get back to my target weight. Keeping a narrow range and cutting back occasionally as needed feels much more natural to me than perpetually tracking.

That's my other piece of advice. Find a way of maintaining your weight that works for you. My way is probably not your way, but you need to figure out a method that will work for you long term. Be realistic about your personality and strengths and find something that works for you. For me, it's essentially IF plus close weight tracking. For you, it may be tracking or something else. Some people partially fast a couple of days a week. Find what works for you.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you are doing and add a few more calories to your diet.