Running and weightloss/fitness goals?

Options
jessicastanfill
jessicastanfill Posts: 69 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone!
I just started running two months ago, and I'm continually trying to slowly build miles. Right now I'm running 5-6 days per week, 15-18 miles per week. I'm working on increasing my mileage through the couch to 10k program.

From you runners out there, what was your experience with running and how did it contribute to your weight loss and fitness goals? How were you eating? I'm looking for inspiration and words of wisdom :)

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I started using C25K about three years ago as an adjunct to losing weight. I started to find that what was more important to me was running performance, rather than weight loss per se.

So after consolidating at 5K for a couple of months I worked up to about 15K, before my first race, which was a 10K.

I've run several half marathons and working towards my first marathon at the moment.

All in I lost about 2 1/2 stone.

I cycle for cross training
  • Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It definitely helps, especially if you like eating. I mean, it does burn calories so it's mathematics. Whatever your eat, minus what you burn. Eat more, run more. Win-win ^_^
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you don't make the common mistake that since you are running you don't have to closely watch what you eat. If I stay active with running and other workouts, I still have to track food. Also, MFP overestimates so if you are eating back exercise leave some calories on the table at the end of the day--maybe half the exercise calories. Running definitely helps my stress levels, which in turn makes weight loss easier. Build the mileage slowly--getting injured sucks. I've gone from finishing back of the pack triathlons to finishing top half of my age class, which I figure is at least partly easier because I'm not lugging around 50 extra pounds anymore! Good luck and enjoy!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i started running to aid my weight loss and it's helped. it's hard to sometimes not go nuts afterwards

RUNGER-750x375.png
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you do a good job fueling after a run you won't get so hungry you eat irresponsibly. I learned the hard way. I run enough I can maintain my weight without being super restrictive in my diet. But when I am injured I put weight on quickly unless I'm careful.

As you increase mileage I would consider not running 5 or 6 times a week.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    with running, it's just as important to make sure you're eating enough to perform. It's a delicate balance... eat at a deficit, but not so much that you don't have the strength or energy to run your program.

In my experience, my weight loss stalled as I increased my daily mileage past 5ish miles- I was just HUNGRIER than I was running the same mileage over several days. I didn't gain anything...just stopped losing. But even at 180lbs, I felt great mentally and looked good physically, so I was ok with that.

• alida1walsh
    alida1walsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I started running in July 2014.

I run 3 to 5 days per week. Like you, I've been gradually building on the distance; initially it was only about 1 1/2 km. Now I regularly run 5 km. I'm also getting faster.

At first, I didn't think I was losing any weight. I went for a general checkup in about February last year and the doctor told me I needed to lose a couple of kilos (despite my normal BMI, though at the higher end). So I decided to give up chocolate for lent and restricted calories for a couple of months.

Now I'm at the low end of the BMI range and eating a lot more (over 8,000 kj on running days).

I usually reward myself with a large flat white coffee after a run (with full cream milk). I still eat dark chocolate (2 to 4 squares per day) and ice cream (most days). The other thing that's changed in my diet is that I include a lot more fruit and nuts. They're now my go to snack during the daylight hours instead of biscuits or chocolate.

Hope this helps.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I think the mistake a lot of people make is that running will be the magic bullet for weight loss. For me personally, I'd see it's crucial to maintenance but without closely tracking/monitoring my food I don't lose weight. And if something causes me to stop running, the results can be catastrophic. While still overweight I was running and trying to lose, but probably doing a poor job logging and so was only maintaining. Then I stopped running and put 40 lbs on in less than a year. I started running again because I like it for its own reasons (as someone stated above, it really clears your head! It's like my Prozac!). Hopefully I can be better about my logging this time around, actually get down to a healthy weight, and not let any unintended breaks turn into weight gain.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Never ran for weight loss. Actually I only run when I'm maintaining. It's definitely fun once you get into races and other competitions.

My diet was mostly fat and protein based at 5k calories minimum. Carbs made up roughly 20% of my diet. No junk, low sugar, high mineral.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I lost over 50 pounds last year while training for several races (including a couple half marathons). The thing is I didn't really see any weight loss until I started tracking my food. Once I had the calories under control I started dropping 1-2 pounds nearly every week (with the exception of the couple weeks before a race when I ate at maintenance).

I posted an article a day or 2 ago that addresses the relationship of diet and exercise. Unfortunately it got buried by other posts about fad diets and idiot doctors.
  • jessicastanfill
    jessicastanfill Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I am definitely watching what I eat, and that is the hardest thing about running - being HUNGRY. What foods do you eat to keep your energy up for the runs and lose weight? I'm trying to get more protein in my diet without upping the fat too much. Chicken, tuna, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, string cheese, veggie burgers, and skinny lattes are my go tos. But it gets boring.
    What do you do?
    THANKS! :smiley:
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    The changes I made were not huge. Just swapped out some higher calorie foods. Instead of eating a bag of popcorn I have grapes. Instead of wasting 250 calories on my favorite yogurt, I have lower cal yogurt or a banana. And I drink fewer sodas and switched to making many of my meals healthier (using recipes mainly from "Cook This Not That" series of books).

When I go for long runs (8-12 miles or more) I eat whatever I feel like eating. Stromboli, pizza, chinese food, whatever I want. And since I run 4-5 times a week I can eat much more and still lose wieght.

One thing you will not find me eating is anything made for 'diets'. No diet soda, low fat, gluten free, whatever buzzword you want. And I love pasta. And steak. And bacon. And... :)

I guess my point is to not totally change your diet. Find different foods to replace the really bad stuff and you will be fine.

Use your running as a tool to get fit and as a bonus it allows you to eat a bit more.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    From you runners out there, what was your experience with running and how did it contribute to your weight loss and fitness goals?

Weight loss goals? Let me eat more and still stay good on CI < CO which was nice psychologically.

Fitness wise running was the end goal, so naturally running contributes pretty well to running faster provided you train smart :smile:

When I started running in Apr 11' I went for 178lbs and 23:47 for 5k down to 151lbs and 18:21 for 5k. I mostly cycle now after getting a really nasty injury that basically kept me out of running for 1.5 years, but I've got designs on coming back this fall after cycling season and chasing sub 16 5k after I'm down to my ideal race weight of roughly 60kg/132lbs.
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I am definitely watching what I eat, and that is the hardest thing about running - being HUNGRY. What foods do you eat to keep your energy up for the runs and lose weight? I'm trying to get more protein in my diet without upping the fat too much. Chicken, tuna, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, string cheese, veggie burgers, and skinny lattes are my go tos. But it gets boring.
    What do you do?

Basically similar to this. Aim for 1.5-1.8 g/kg of protein per day, with calories from true junk foods (sugar, soda, cookies, chips, donut, etc. ) down to less than 5% of daily calories. This works pretty well for me and I'm rarely more than mildly hungry.

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    For me, running was the key cardio source for my weight loss. now that I'm at maintenance, It seems as though I can perform better since I'm better fueled than when I was on a strict deficit. I started at 235 lbs June 2014 and could barely run 2 minutes without having to stop and that was at a 14 min mile. Now at 142 I can do a 5 k at an 8.5 min mile and longer runs maintain a constant 9:50. (4-5 mile runs) although the whole time I've only done this 2-3 days a week due to my working schedule of a nurse and 12.5 hr shifts along with being a mom to 3 children and all their activities. I have fallen in love with running. My best advice is to take it at a pace that you can tolerate, with time your distance and better pace will come.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!
    What do you do?

I don't run right now (soon...I can't wait until I can again. Prob next month) but I've been lifting for a few months now. When I can't get enough protein in, I hit up the protein powder mixed with 4oz of milk and Greek yogurt - like a smoothie. Throw a little pb2 or blended veggies into it and you've got a ton of protein and a filling drink.

Eggs are a good source as well. Pork, beef, just about any kind of meat and some grains (like quinoa) and types of beans too. I've made black bean burgers, breakfast burritos, ham/egg/cheese/veggie muffins, etc. So many options!
  • sthoma13
    sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I run at 6am most days before work. I take in most of my calories for breakfast and lunch. I usually have a coffee shake (coffee + skim milk + vanilla extract) with a banana blended in before my run. And then I come back and treat myself to a big breakfast with eggs, wheat toast, and bacon. Sometimes French toast or pumpkin pancakes. Today I added a tbs of peanut butter to my banana coffee shake and it was delightful and filling. I always make sure I'm taking in at least 25% of my macros from protein and snack throwing out the day (string cheese and apples)!