Need Support and Accountability!

Options
Hi, my name is Terri and I have been on and off again from MFP for the last five years. I've been maintaining my weight, but I haven't improved any. My weight has fluctuated up and down a few pounds, but no major changes. I seriously need a support buddy and somebody that can hold me accountable. I am turning 50 in April and I'm still in denile. I remember when my Mom turned 50. Doesn't seem that long ago! I don't want to feel like crud anymore! I have chronic neck and back pain and I feel tired all of the time! I'm also a sugar addict! I seriously have a problem! My husband always tells me to just stop buying it, but I always manage to put candy in my grocery cart. I have this mentality that I thourghly enjoy sitting down to watch my favorite show or movie and munching on candy. It's my endorphins that is sending the signal to my brain. I honestly don't know how to enjoy a movie without satisfying my sweet tooth. People have advised me to eat fruit, but when you love chocolate,how can fruit satisfy? I know, I know, I'm making excuses, but this is why I need help! I truly want to change the way I feel and look. I want to be strong, I want to look amazing! I just feel so weak! I also work 12 hrs a day and I don't get home until 7:00 pm at night and I'm usually too tired to work out or to think about being good to myself! I have a horrible eating and sleeping pattern. I don't eat breakfast and if I do, it's usually just a slice of toast, I never eat lunch. I'm just not hungry and I eat dinner, but it's usually late due to me getting home so late and after dinner, all I want to do is sit down, enjoy one of my shows and snack on something sweet. Ugh!! I need advice and help! I am 5'0 tall and I currently weigh 130 lbs. my goal weight is 115 lbs. I mainly want to feel better and get rid of my chronic pain. Looking better obviously would be a bonus! Thank you for listening.

Replies

• jflanaganasl
    jflanaganasl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    As a chronic sweet tooth addict, I have a few ideas -

-The grocery store is the easiest place to exhibit self control, so start there. Eating something healthy and filling before you go and make the conscious decision to leave the candy OUT of the cart. Instead, buy some fruit, a few of those 100-calorie snack packs if you must (these are good for when you are really in need of a sweet fix but better for you than, say, a bag of Reese's). Also grab some loose popcorn - they sell just the kernels in bags or bottles. You can oil-pop this on the stove and add a LITTLE butter for a great movie snack - natural popcorn can be a healthy treat and it's better for you than microwave. Also, I find that when my popcorn takes this much work, I tend to stop and ask myself "Do I really want this snack?" more often. You can even throw in a handful of M&Ms for a once-in-a-while treat, but I would not recommend keeping them in the house to do this until you've improved your will power.

- My knee pain got exponentially better when I started working out and getting healthy. If you work 12 hour shifts, you probably have extra days off right? Maybe 3 rather than 2? Schedule your workouts for those times. Don't try to force yourself to do it after work when you're exhausted. It's setting yourself up for failure.

-I would recommend preparing a batch of healthy meals on one of your days off. That way, when you get home after a long day, you can simply heat up something healthy for dinner. If it's good for you, and has a decent amount of protein, you'll be full and won't feel as much need for snacks.

This is what has worked for me so far. Hope this helps!
  • tartz66
    tartz66 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advise. I will definitely try your suggestions. Thank you
  • tina7814
    tina7814 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I will be your accountability buddy if you will be mine! I am working off 10 years of laziness and need someone to talk to about it. I just messed my knee up the other day playing with my dog and have got to get back into shape or it will be ruined forever.
  • tartz66
    tartz66 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! Let's motivate each other! I will add you as a friend