Scared of the gym

Options
2»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    also- I'm confused as to how someone sees someone doing kegels- I mean- that's an internal muscle contraction- did you put your face in her whoha? was she okay with that- that sounds really personal and all.

Maybe the "yes/no machine" (thigh abductor) faces outward at his gym.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    also- I'm confused as to how someone sees someone doing kegels- I mean- that's an internal muscle contraction- did you put your face in her whoha? was she okay with that- that sounds really personal and all.

but that isn't a kegal- I was thinking maybe he was thinking hip thrusters or bridge lifts- which is still technically incorrect- Kegals engage the pelvic floor.

Abducters/aductors work the inner and outer thigh from hip to knee- and bridge lifts and hip thrusters work the glutes and hammstrings.

again- neither of which qualify as kegels.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    OP ...you wear what you want to the gym, this is your personal confidence zone. Get a trainer or a friend to go with you, plug in headphones and be yourself. Gyms are about effort and personal progress not how you look.

Wow just wow at the douche response - not so easy to check form in baggy, hoody clothes and hot and sweaty happens. Also kegels? Fur real? I bet you're the kind of guy who tries to catch eyeline during weighted hip thrusts

Jo ...now that is something worth staring at in the gym....you fricken Rock!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

but that isn't a kegal- I was thinking maybe he was thinking hip thrusters or bridge lifts- which is still technically incorrect- Kegals engage the pelvic floor.

Abducters/aductors work the inner and outer thigh from hip to knee- and bridge lifts and hip thrusters work the glutes and hammstrings.

again- neither of which qualify as kegels.

Yeah, I know. But maybe if she was sitting juuuust right on the machine and wearing......ohh, never mind. I'd end up with bars over my avatar pic for sure. :D
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options

Jo, why do all your posts make me giggle?

OP, wear whatever makes you comfy. Whether it's yoga pants and a sports bra, or baggy sweats, don't worry about it.

It might relieve your anxiety if you were more confident on the equipment. Some gyms offer a tour of the facility where someone will show you the basics of how to operate the equipment. If your gym offers it, take them up on it. It's helpful to not feel so overwhelmed.

Congrats on your continued recovery! Keep going, you got this!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The only way to gain weight is to consume more calories than you burn. If you like protein shakes, then they're great! As far as the gym, wear what you find comfortable. Yes, some women find leggings and more revealing clothing more comfortable, and it can be in terms of allowing range of movement, but you should wear whatever you feel comfortable in.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Hi,

New to this so sorry if it's wrong. I have recovered from anorexia through self help techniques. However as I received no help through NHS, I was not entitled to seeing a dietician. I am still the weight I was 3 years ago when I recovered fully and struggling to gain weight. I have heard going to the gym helps bit I am scared to go. Obviously women wear leggings and revealing clothes which is just a complete no for me. Does anyone have any tips to gain weight for anorexics? Also anyone taken protein shakes to help gain weight?

Thanks!

Talk to a therapist. They gym alone will not help. The gym with diet changes could help, but the gym on its own without appropriate nutrition might do more harm than good. What is your current weight and height?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    are you for *kitten* real?!?!?!

<snip>

Don't feed the troll.

Yeah, that was an obvious one but damn Jo looks good doing 315 there.
    I know I know...
    I can't help myself. And I assume that there are ACTUALLY people who believe *kitten* like that- so yeah- sorry not sorry.

<but thank you>

I know what you mean but I was just wondering who would take the bait. I think I'll look for your video again, I loved your celebration when you nailed it!
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Don't view those ladies as intimidating, if they look fit then view them as an inspiration. You should stop worrying and go to the gym to work on your goals otherwise you're just prolonging it! Make sure you are eating hearty meals.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    you are your own worst enemy... keep that in mind. Get out of your head and start making changes for the better. You'll appreciate that kinda mentality later on, I promise!

PS: BEAST JO!!!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Don't view those ladies as intimidating, if they look fit then view them as an inspiration. You should stop worrying and go to the gym to work on your goals otherwise you're just prolonging it! Make sure you are eating hearty meals.

I'm sure everyone of them felt that intimidation as well when they started but it doesn't take long to feel at home.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

I'm sure everyone of them felt that intimidation as well when they started but it doesn't take long to feel at home.

*kitten*, I went from intimidated in the gym, to feeling out of place without it. Once you see gainz it becomes your happy place.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

*kitten*, I went from intimidated in the gym, to feeling out of place without it. Once you see gainz it becomes your happy place.

Pretty close to my personal experience as well.
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    are you for *kitten* real?!?!?!

<snip>

Don't feed the troll.

• KateWalsh79
    KateWalsh79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Marium - from another person who has overcome an eating disorder - WELL DONE!! It's not easy and to be honest it never really goes away you just learn how not to let it rule. So be gentle with yourself. I'm really sorry your GP has not given you a referral for further help. I highly recommend BEAT, which is the eating disorder charity. They have a helpline and they are fantastic. They may be able to give you further advice on where to get local help and support and they may even be able to offer you support on how to gain weight. Very best of luck to you, I hope you stay well x