Scared to bulk

Options
I know to build muscle you need to eat at a calorie surplus, but I'm worried that I will just end up getting fat. I know this is mostly a mental thing, but has anyone else felt the same way? Ill change my goals to gain .5 per week or something and then chicken out and change it back before the day starts. How do I get out of this mentality?

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    tiffanyyro wrote: »
    I know to build muscle you need to eat at a calorie surplus, but I'm worried that I will just end up getting fat. I know this is mostly a mental thing, but has anyone else felt the same way? Ill change my goals to gain .5 per week or something and then chicken out and change it back before the day starts. How do I get out of this mentality?

Bulking is really a mind game and there is no real way to get out of the mentality than to just do it and stick it out. You have to be comfortable with the fact that you can and will cut after you are finished. I think most of us, especially those of us who have lost a lot of weight previously, have had the same issues when seeing the fat creep back on but after a few weeks you should be mentally adjusted. If not there are plenty of people here who have been through it and can support you with firsthand experience. It's not easy but you can do it.

Best of luck.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You can do a slow bulk. Instead of going something like +500 calories, you can do +200 calories. Muscle gains and progression will be slower, but you gain fat slower too. People call this a "lean bulk" as they gain weight/muscle without getting too much additional fat
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It looks like your current goal is very low (I think it's 1200 + exercise?), and transitioning from a cut to a bulk can be really overwhelming, especially if it's the first time you've bulked. I'd suggest gradually building up to your maintenance level, and staying there for a few months before bulking. You'll see a jump on the scale at first; it's water weight and glycogen, and it's normal when you transition to maintenance. I wouldn't go straight from 1200 to a bulk; that's going to be a mindf*ck and probably really physically uncomfortable.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I would recommend you find your true Maintenance weight first then raise your calories with something like two table spoons of peanut butter (190 calories) or an extra scoop of protein (180 calories) for four weeks see where your at and go from there. I think the problem with bulks is people eat a lot more food then the realize because of the "BULK EXCUSE" and get into trouble. Keep it simple remember its just calories after Macros are met..

I looked at your Diary I would raise your protein to closer to 100 grams and keep your fat at around 50 in your bulk.. Based off 125 lb guess.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Will you gain some fat? Yes. But if you're looking to add 10-15 lbs remember it's not all going to be fat, as long as your training is on point. You can see my profile picture with the added weight. I am bigger, for sure. But it doesn't look BAD. I admit I have some hard days. I miss my waist measurement....but I DON'T want to look how I did on the left, so...it will be worth it in the end!
  • DBL_IronDog
    DBL_IronDog Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm doing that now for the first time and I completely agree. I'm not that good at this food thing so far. I work out like a fiend, and feel like I'm gaining some size. I'm am also afraid about the fat gain that I might be getting.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I'm doing that now for the first time and I completely agree. I'm not that good at this food thing so far. I work out like a fiend, and feel like I'm gaining some size. I'm am also afraid about the fat gain that I might be getting.

It's winter! Don't worry about it.
  • prncsstff
    prncsstff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Will you gain some fat? Yes. But if you're looking to add 10-15 lbs remember it's not all going to be fat, as long as your training is on point. You can see my profile picture with the added weight. I am bigger, for sure. But it doesn't look BAD. I admit I have some hard days. I miss my waist measurement....but I DON'T want to look how I did on the left, so...it will be worth it in the end!
    Your arms look sooo good!!!
  • darkchocthunda
    darkchocthunda Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    One way is to realize that each macro nutrient plays a specific role, especially in the muscles. Muscle is powered by carbs and made bigger with protein. So as far as bulking goes, it isn't just a calorie surplus, it's really a protein surplus. You don't necessarily have to eat at a caloric surplus, just at a protein surplus. You can gain muscle mass without a lot of fat, it just takes more meal planning and a different exercise regimen.

For example: I also wanted to gain muscle mass without gaining fat mass( changing my lean body mass and fat mass ratio). I used to eat at about 2200 calories (1700 net w/ cardio and lifting) with diet percentages of 20% protein, 30% fat and 50% carbohydrates. I still eat 2200 calories, but I changed to 25-30% protein, 20-25% fat and 50% carbs. For exercise, I reduced the amount of cardio from 5mi to 3mi and in lifting, increased the weight while lowering the reps.

Apply this to your caloric needs and you should see a difference in your lean to fat mass ratio in 2-3 months.
  • prncsstff
    prncsstff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ooa3603 wrote: »
    One way is too realize that each macro nutrient plays a specific role, especially in the muscles. Muscle is powered by carbs and made bigger with protein. So as far as bulking goes, it isn't just a calorie surplus, it's a protein surplus more importantly. You don't necessarily have to eat at a caloric surplus, just at a protein surplus. You can gain muscle mass without a lot of fat, it just takes more meal planning. And different exercise regimen.

For example: I also wanted to gain muscle mass without gaining fat mass( changing my lean body mass and fat mass ratio). I used to eat at about 2200 calories (1700 net w/ cardio and lifting) with diet percentages of 20% protein, 30% fat and 50% carbohydrates. I still eat 2200, but I changed to 25-30% protein, 20-25% fat and 50% carbs. For exercise, I reduced the amount of cardio from 5mi to 3mi and in lifting, increased the weight while lowering the reps.

Apply this to your caloric needs and you should see a difference in your lean to fat mass ratio in 2-3 months.

This is very helpful! I was meaning to start eating less carbs and more protein anyways so I'm glad I can kill two birds with one stone. Thanks
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    It's not "mostly" a mental thing. It's 100% a mental thing for you to think that way.

I am coming to the end of my first bulk. I started in September eating 2400 calories and I'm now eating 2660 calories. I've gained an average of 0.5 lb/week.

The first month was the hardest. As women, we're constantly told that we should be smaller, so it's a foreign thing for us to gain weight on purpose. It's a mind game, for sure. I was lucky enough to have a really supportive husband and awesome MFP friends that included women that have experience bulking, and that was really helpful when I had weak moments and wanted to back out.

After that first month, I realized that the extra food was SO worth feeling a little fluffy. I was feeling great and my lifts were improving. And now I'm dreading the end of the bulk. I'm really going to miss my bulking macros, but I want to give myself a good 12 weeks to lean out before I need to squeeze into a bikini.

I know it's easier said than done, but in the end you just need to trust the process and do it. You are NOT going to get fat during a controlled bulk. It's not as if you're going to wake up one day 15 pounds heavier. I've gained 8-9ish pounds and, yeah, I can see the extra fluff, but I know that I look pretty much the same. And I honestly can't wait until I'm able to bulk again, because this has been the best thing ever.
  • arditarose
    Options
    tiffanyyro wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Your arms look sooo good!!!

Thanks! I preferred them on the thinner side but I think I'll be happy with them after the cut!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    If you haven't weight trained seriously before, then no you do not need to bulk to gain muscle. Stay at maintenance and work hard at a progressive-overload program such as stronglifts. That said, the specific program isn't all that important right now, but sticking with whatever program you choose and giving it your all are.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you're just coming out of dieting, I'd personally spend some time in maintenance and getting that sorted out...you can lift and re-comp.

When you're ready to bulk, it's still going to be a mind game and unfortunately, you are going to gain fat and have to cut again...you just have to wrap your head around that which is why I recommend spending some time just in maintenance and focusing on your fitness.

Also, when you're bulking protein is important, but not as important as it is in the cut...you don't need any more than 1 gram per Lb of LBM...carbs are actually king on a bulk because the insulin response is going to signal your body to grow muscle.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Just did this myself. Gained 15lbs over the cold months while lifting as usual. Currently losing it all away. Easy peezy. Just do it op. Just do it.
  • AngelaR03
    AngelaR03 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    One way is to realize that each macro nutrient plays a specific role, especially in the muscles. Muscle is powered by carbs and made bigger with protein. So as far as bulking goes, it isn't just a calorie surplus, it's really a protein surplus. You don't necessarily have to eat at a caloric surplus, just at a protein surplus. You can gain muscle mass without a lot of fat, it just takes more meal planning and a different exercise regimen.

For example: I also wanted to gain muscle mass without gaining fat mass( changing my lean body mass and fat mass ratio). I used to eat at about 2200 calories (1700 net w/ cardio and lifting) with diet percentages of 20% protein, 30% fat and 50% carbohydrates. I still eat 2200 calories, but I changed to 25-30% protein, 20-25% fat and 50% carbs. For exercise, I reduced the amount of cardio from 5mi to 3mi and in lifting, increased the weight while lowering the reps.

This very good advice.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

It's worth noting, though, that you did actually increase your net calorie intake. You cut your cardio almost in half and also scaled back slightly on the volume of strength training. So your 2200 intake/1700 net would end up being somewhere in the ballpark of a 2200 intake/1900-2000 net because your additional deficit created by exercise was decreased.

Eating at/near maintenance isn't a "bulk", it's a "recomp". You can still gain mass, but the process is going to be a lot slower and less efficient than just bumping up the intake a few hundred calories.
  • s3amuel
    s3amuel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Generally, you'll gain some unwanted gains along the way. It happens to all of us, nothing crazy though as long as you keep an eye on what you're eating.

Solution, don't just up and jump to a 'recommended amount of calories' to bulk, just up it to what you're comfortable with.

Best of luck from an ectomorph who struggled with this as well.
  • joelacy11
    joelacy11 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was apprehensive when I started. I was at 2900 cals and gradually been upping them by 200 each week if I do not gain 0.5 per week. It took a good few weeks but I finally started to see an increase on the scales, and also visually.

Im now at 3700 cals and have stalled so may even have to increase again. Take pictures of yourself and measurements to help you track - as when I started I looked in the mirror and convinced myslef I was 'fat'. Going to keep going for a few more months the slowly decrease the cals until I'm deficit. Interested to see how high I can keep my cals and cut fat at the same time. Good luck! :smile:
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bulk with a slight surplus. You don't need to eat at a huge surplus to gain muscle.