Was fit, now fat again...ugh starting over

Options

Is anyone else in this boat? I got SUPER fit ~5 years ago, like fitness model visible abs fit. I stayed that way for a year or so. Did a photo shoot and everything...

Now I look like I did before I got in shape. ~20/25 pounds heavier than when I looked good. It's good because I know I can get there and I know I can look a certain way, but then I worry that I won't be able to maintain it and I'll just yo-yo forever. I still identify a bit as being that person, and I've always been an athlete, so it took some time to admit that I had let myself go and start getting back to my fit self. My goal is to get back to there, I just feel so stupid that I let myself gain all the weight again, when I already hit my goal once.

Anyone else on the same boat? How did you mentally come around to 'starting over'?

Replies

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I had to hit rock bottom... like five different times... and now I'm back, finally being a consistently "good" boy. We had a tragedy in the family, then my wife being pregnant (sympathy weight is a terrible excuse, but I suppose that's what happened), and then her not being pregnant and us wanting to drink delicious beer any time that the boy wasn't awake and wailing at us. I'm probably 60 lbs. over my ideal weight and heading south as we speak. Definitely in the same boat. I got down to 180 lbs. and was very fit, a great runner, decent lifter. The nice thing is that I haven't entirely lose my strength for lifting. Running is a very different story....
  • EnjoyEverything
    EnjoyEverything Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Lost 30 lbs, ran a marathon, 10 more half marathons and then had a heart attack. Freaked me out, became sedentary, gained the weight back and a few more. 13 months later, I'm starting over, running short distances, lifting some weights.... getting back to being fit.

However, I'm not ever going to waste my energy wondering if I'll not be able to keep it off. That's not productive. I'm thinking that I can't wait to lose another ounce, remembering how GREAT it felt to have that gap between my pants and my stomach. My goals are realistic 4 ~ 6 lbs a month. I won't fail, I can't think of failing, now or after I lose that weight. In fact, I think I'll post a now picture for my B4 picture.

Let's do this - together!

Bob
  • elykt
    elykt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Definitely been there. About 3 years ago I was in great shape, working out and eating well. Then life happened and I gained about 30lbs. I'm back at the beginning of again, about 2 weeks into my "lifestyle change" and its hard. I have days where I'm upset that I let myself get this way, and days where I feel lean and strong. I don't want to yo-yo forever, I want this to be the last time I do it and that's one of my goals this time around. Mentally I don't know if I'll ever be ready for starting over, or really convinced that I am. But I'm doing my best to make small changes and trying really hard to keep up with them.
    Having lots of people on here to help support you and give you advice is good. Also having a good support system in your day to day life, at home and at work can make a big difference.
    No matter what you feel you can do this! :)
  • alisfitgoal
    alisfitgoal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had to hit rock bottom... like five different times... and now I'm back, finally being a consistently "good" boy. We had a tragedy in the family, then my wife being pregnant (sympathy weight is a terrible excuse, but I suppose that's what happened), and then her not being pregnant and us wanting to drink delicious beer any time that the boy wasn't awake and wailing at us. I'm probably 60 lbs. over my ideal weight and heading south as we speak. Definitely in the same boat. I got down to 180 lbs. and was very fit, a great runner, decent lifter. The nice thing is that I haven't entirely lose my strength for lifting. Running is a very different story....

Yes it is nice how strength stays a little longer. I once tried not to train legs for ~1 year because I already have large muscley legs and stupidly thought not training them would be a good idea... and was just as strong afterwards. Running comes back but it certainly doesn't 'stay' the same way that baseline strength 'stays'.