What reward system did you use or are you using?

Options

Replies

• kcoty001
    kcoty001 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    clothes is always my reward system <3... and with that new dress that has to come accessories and new heels... ahh you look good you feel good right!?
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Caen bracelet is such a great idea! Can I steal?

Please do!!! Add me and we can show off our bracelets!!!
  • hope516
    Options
    JenniK614 wrote: »
    I use DietBet as motivation, and the payout as my reward :)

I love that!!! My local radio station participates in something like that
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The problems that I see with your charm bracelet reward system are:

1) The ten pound loss is not going to happen often enough to act as a strong reinforcement. If you are losing at a rate of one pound per week then you will only be rewarded every ten weeks. Ten weeks is a long time to go without reinforcement.

2) You are rewarding yourself for weight loss, which, unfortunately, is sort of out of your control. What I mean is that weight loss is not linear, and weight can fluctuate dramatically depending on hormone levels, sodium intake, carbohydrate intake, the type of exercise you are doing (e.g. water retention during muscle recovery), etc. Your weight loss is not entirely up to you, it is up to the whims/fancies/peculiarities of your body, if you will.

I'd prefer to see you using a reinforcement system for the positive habits that eventually result in weight loss, such as the system @tincanonastring uses (he rewards himself with food in such a way that he achieves a negative energy balance, which will result in eventual weight loss), or @whirlygigs4 (she rewards herself with stickers for meeting her calorie goal and exercising, again, behaviors that will help her to achieve a negative energy balance and lead to weight loss). I use a similar, if silly, system. I reward myself for "good behavior" by changing my profile picture each day. It's not a big thing, but it makes me happy and so it acts as a positive reinforcement.

Concentrate on the behaviors that will lead to weight loss and give yourself frequent rewards for those behaviors. The weight loss will happen when it happens. Changing your day-to-day habits is the hard work that you have to do, and that is what you should reward yourself for.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »

1) The ten pound loss is not going to happen often enough to act as a strong reinforcement. If you are losing at a rate of one pound per week then you will only be rewarded every ten weeks. Ten weeks is a long time to go without reinforcement.

2) You are rewarding yourself for weight loss, which, unfortunately, is sort of out of your control. What I mean is that weight loss is not linear, and weight can fluctuate dramatically depending on hormone levels, sodium intake, carbohydrate intake, the type of exercise you are doing (e.g. water retention during muscle recovery), etc. Your weight loss is not entirely up to you, it is up to the whims/fancies/peculiarities of your body, if you will.

I'd prefer to see you using a reinforcement system for the positive habits that eventually result in weight loss, such as the system @tincanonastring uses (he rewards himself with food in such a way that he achieves a negative energy balance, which will result in eventual weight loss), or @whirlygigs4 (she rewards herself with stickers for meeting her calorie goal and exercising, again, behaviors that will help her to achieve a negative energy balance and lead to weight loss). I use a similar, if silly, system. I reward myself for "good behavior" by changing my profile picture each day. It's not a big thing, but it makes me happy and so it acts as a positive reinforcement.

Concentrate on the behaviors that will lead to weight loss and give yourself frequent rewards for those behaviors. The weight loss will happen when it happens. Changing your day-to-day habits is the hard work that you have to do, and that is what you should reward yourself for.

oh wow

• hope516
    edited January 2016
    Options

I'd prefer to see you using a reinforcement system for the positive habits that eventually result in weight loss, such as the system @tincanonastring uses (he rewards himself with food in such a way that he achieves a negative energy balance, which will result in eventual weight loss), or @whirlygigs4 (she rewards herself with stickers for meeting her calorie goal and exercising, again, behaviors that will help her to achieve a negative energy balance and lead to weight loss). I use a similar, if silly, system, I reward myself for "good behavior" by changing my profile picture each day. It's not a big thing, but it makes me happy and so it acts as a positive reinforcement.

I appreciate the input and agree with you in many many ways. I have over 100 pounds (100 only being my 2016 goal) to lose so I know if I stick to mfp guidelines I should be able to lose this weight or a good deal of it "pretty easily" I lost the first 75 that way.

I love your idea of not focusing on the weight and more importantly on behaviors, I think this is very valid and something I do do on a daily basis. I just don't reward myself monetarily.

What I like about the charm idea is 1.) The bracelet is signifying the 75 pounds I have already lost, so God forbid I don't lose another pound (I've been maintaining for over 3 years now) I can look at my bracelet every day and know what I've accomplished. If I can do it once I can do it again. 2. )I have no doubt that I will get some charms on that bracelet. Even if it is once every time they dangle or anything I am feeling weak or run down, my motivation is on my arm reminding me every day.

I'm gonna give it a try.

But once again I agree with your ideas

Eta, the charms aren't cheap so money spent every 10 weeks is ok w me, but once again I have a lot to lose so no doubt it will be more often than that.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    hope516 wrote: »

I'd prefer to see you using a reinforcement system for the positive habits that eventually result in weight loss, such as the system @tincanonastring uses (he rewards himself with food in such a way that he achieves a negative energy balance, which will result in eventual weight loss), or @whirlygigs4 (she rewards herself with stickers for meeting her calorie goal and exercising, again, behaviors that will help her to achieve a negative energy balance and lead to weight loss). I use a similar, if silly, system, I reward myself for "good behavior" by changing my profile picture each day. It's not a big thing, but it makes me happy and so it acts as a positive reinforcement.

I appreciate the input and agree with you in many many ways. I have over 100 pounds (100 only being my 2016 goal) to lose so I know if I stick to mfp guidelines I should be able to lose this weight or a good deal of it "pretty easily" I lost the first 75 that way.

I love your idea of not focusing on the weight and more importantly on behaviors, I think this is very valid and something I do do on a daily basis. I just don't reward myself monetarily.

What I like about the charm idea is 1.) The bracelet is signifying the 75 pounds I have already lost, so God forbid I don't lose another pound (I've been maintaining for over 3 years now) I can look at my bracelet every day and know what I've accomplished. If I can do it once I can do it again. 2. )I have no doubt that I will get some charms on that bracelet. Even if it is once every time they dangle or anything I am feeling weak or run down, my motivation is on my arm reminding me every day.

I'm gonna give it a try.

i like the approach you have taken as you say you have 100 pounds to lose. instead of thinking about the bigger picture you have broken it down into small chunks. you like the charms you will get your charms.
    you cant control how much you lose each week but you can stay in control by never giving up
    good luck
  • hope516
    Options
    @Therealobi1 thank you very much for the encouraging words. That's exactly what I am doing. If I wake up everyday and say I need to lose 100 pounds it seems daunting but I think focusing on 10 pounds at a time will be the key for me.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    For me, progressing toward my goal is its own reward.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    losing weight IS the reward.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    A leaner, healthier and stronger me. Guess I'm just simple folk for whom hard work and success is it's own reward.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    hope516 wrote: »

I'm gonna give it a try.

Eta, the charms aren't cheap so money spent every 10 weeks is ok w me, but once again I have a lot to lose so no doubt it will be more often than that.

You could do both. Having the charms means a great deal to you, so rewarding yourself with one every 10lbs or so is a good idea. But you might consider other things you can do to help establish habits. I know food isn't supposed to be a reward, but what I did was for every 30 days in a row that I logged, I would treat myself to a steak dinner. Nothing fancy and what I would eat there fit within my calorie limit for dinner, but I LOVE steaks, so that was a treat for me. So maybe look and decide on a habit you want to establish, and think of something to reward yourself with that, too.
  • AnneBrader
    AnneBrader Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I reward myself by buying a new workout outfit or maybe some perfume after I've lost a few pounds helps me stay motivated and focused :)
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I personally don't find physical rewards necessary. However I think that if it works for you and helps you to stay motivated, you should do it. And I think a charm bracelet is a lovely idea. :)
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    There's no better reward for sticking to my diet than to reward myself with more food.
  • lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    what a great idea!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Many years ago Weight watchers used the charm bracelet.

I really really love throwing out / giving away big clothes and buying new ones.
    It feels freeing to make space in the closet for my new life.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Nothing, really.

My rewards are lifting heavier than I did the last time, my clothes fitting better than they did, and beer when I've earned the calories to drink it. I've tried the "I'll buy myself jeans when I get to X pounds" or whatever. It doesn't work for me because I know I'm able to go out and buy jeans whenever I want. If it works for you, great!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Cute idea! I love it.
    I buy myself things that are fitness & outdoor related when I hit milestones. I prefer 'incentives' to 'deadlines'...
  • Nell8i8
    Nell8i8 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    For every 3 calories I burn during exercise, I get to eat 2 calories. So, if I burn 450 calories on a run, I get to eat something with 300 calories. It's an awesome reward system for exercise!
    This! You burn it. ..it earn it!