Bicyclists?!

Options
evayna
evayna Posts: 66 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Has anyone tried bicycle resistance trainers? My husband says that it wont offer as much resistance as bicycling itself, and that they're a waste of money. I really want one because it's winter here and I can't bike!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Why not just use a fluid trainer?

I picked up a fluid trainer from Nashbar about 13 years ago and I'm still using it. I do commercial intervals ... cycle at a steady pace during the show on TV, cycle as fast as I can during the commercial. Makes the time go by quite quickly. :)

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_559310_-1___204678
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about one of these...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXzBd209VhAaCY-XxLc3uIm_cygoMU_am3kjlWBw7zbO92kGjY

I have one and it's not nearly as enjoyable as riding outdoors and I don't get the same workout either...but it's better than nothing. I don't use it much...even in winter I will gear up and get out unless there's actually snow.
  • TriMama12
    TriMama12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I used to have one when I was competing in triathlon and again when my kids were too young to leave alone while I rode. It can actually be a better workout than riding outside since there are no downhills or traffic lights ;-) However, it can also be insanely boring which makes it hard to keep the intensity up. Most people find the trick is to use it with an entertaining interval based video. I used to use Sufferfest videos, but I hear there's decent spin workouts on YouTube now. If money isn't an issue, a coworker tells me there's even a video game based system where you can actually race against other people.

If you want to bike, go ahead and get one. You can buy new or check out Craigslist.
  • cwolfman13
    edited January 2016
    Options
    TriMama12 wrote: »
    I used to have one when I was competing in triathlon and again when my kids were too young to leave alone while I rode. It can actually be a better workout than riding outside since there are no downhills or traffic lights ;-) However, it can also be insanely boring which makes it hard to keep the intensity up. Most people find the trick is to use it with an entertaining interval based video. I used to use Sufferfest videos, but I hear there's decent spin workouts on YouTube now. If money isn't an issue, a coworker tells me there's even a video game based system where you can actually race against other people.

If you want to bike, go ahead and get one. You can buy new or check out Craigslist.

That's my problem, even with videos and whatnot...I just loathe it an usually mail it in...I might have to try the video game thing though...
  • evayna
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I have one and it's not nearly as enjoyable as riding outdoors and I don't get the same workout either...but it's better than nothing. I don't use it much...even in winter I will gear up and get out unless there's actually snow.

Yes, that is it. Do you feel like you get enough resistance for a workout? Where I live winter makes it impossible to bike. What model do you have?
  • evayna
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I picked up a fluid trainer from Nashbar about 13 years ago and I'm still using it. I do commercial intervals ... cycle at a steady pace during the show on TV, cycle as fast as I can during the commercial. Makes the time go by quite quickly. :)

Yes that is the same thing, that is a really good tip! Thank you!
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    evayna wrote: »

Yes, that is it. Do you feel like you get enough resistance for a workout? Where I live winter makes it impossible to bike. What model do you have?

Technically one could get a good workout, I just get bored out of my mind and don't put the effort in that I do on the road...basically just want it to end. The only time I get a good workout in on that thing is when I take it over to my coach's house and I'm too scared not to go all in.

I have an Ascent.
  • pjbr86
    pjbr86 Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Get a smart turbo and zwift!

The smart turbo will change the resistance itself when you hit a hill on the programme. My turbo is the bog standard kind, but you still have to change your gears if you want to get up the hills at any sort of speed, it all works from your height and weight which you input.

(Zwift is the 'game' type thing)
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Intensity is what you make of it and most people find it harder on a indoor trainer verses outdoor ride. See http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/2009/01/turbocharged-training.html. I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine purchased three years ago. Given the recent price drop of smart trainer, I would have second thoughts if purchasing today. Still love it though. It gets me through the winter when light is short. I also response much better on the trainer as there is no goofing off (25%-50% depending on where and who you ride with, so an hour on the trainer maybe equivalent to 1:15 to 1:30 outside) and am more focused.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You'd be better off investing in winter gear and riding outside.
  • chrisbinns01
    chrisbinns01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    They are ok if a little boring, good for getting some winter time if it's unsafe to cycle outside. A turbo trainer tyre helps with the noise. Have you thought about a spin class?
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Umm....yes? How would you not? It's very similar to riding outdoors in that the faster you go the harder you have to work. I can do max sprints on my trainer just fine.

I have the Wahoo Kickr, and if it fits the budget I would HIGHLY recommend it. It's pricey for a trainer at approx 1k USD, but still far cheaper than a stationary bike, and is all around excellent machine. It gives you power, which is the ideal training metric, has a very nice road feel that most trainers do not, integrates wonderfully with zwift, and perhaps nicest of all has an ERG mode feature where you set how hard you want to pedal, say 150 watts, and then no matter what you do with shifting or how fast your pedaling the trainer will adjust to make sure you're always pedaling at the intended difficulty.

A cheaper trainer like the one pictured above will certainly work just fine, but doesn't work as well with any virtual riding stuff, and will have a pretty different feel to riding outside.
  • evayna
    Options
    They are ok if a little boring, good for getting some winter time if it's unsafe to cycle outside. A turbo trainer tyre helps with the noise. Have you thought about a spin class?
    I'm not really comfortable going to a gym yet. But when I don't I think spin class will be my top choice!
  • evayna
    Options

Where I live even if the streets are plowed, it would be really unsafe to bike.
  • L_Master
    Options

Technically one could get a good workout, I just get bored out of my mind and don't put the effort in that I do on the road...basically just want it to end. The only time I get a good workout in on that thing is when I take it over to my coach's house and I'm too scared not to go all in.

I have an Ascent.

Yea, nothing is worse than 3+ hour sessions on the turbo.

If you're not trying to ride big winter hours and just want to keep some fitness, there is a really good solution for that: short, structured workouts. It's hard to get bored in 30-45 minutes of time, especially when half that time you're busy working too hard to be bored, and the other time you're getting air and recovering.

Not sure how you can come to this conclusion. She could be in a place that always has snow and ice. She could be in a place with decent traffic density where having to have giant mittens and multi layers makes the riding extremely sketch.

Add that to the fact that you can generally train MUCH more efficiently inside on the turbo than you can on cold winter days with questionable weather and it just strange to jump to that as a default conclusion. I'm sure that's an excellent solution for some, but it's certainly wasn't in my case (turbo was a WAY better idea) and isn't a de facto answer.

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    http://www.thesufferfest.com Never be bored again on your trainer, and you will get faster
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    L_Master wrote: »

I have an Ascent.

This is my life tomorrow. 3hrs on the trainer while the blizzard rages
  • L_Master
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    L_Master wrote: »

I have an Ascent.

This is my life tomorrow. 3hrs on the trainer while the blizzard rages

Yea, this has been the past three months for me. Pretty much nothing but days in the 20s or 30s with a little snow here and there. Tomorrow looks to be first day over 50 in over 3 months...gotta savor that outdoor experience.

GL with the trainer session!
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Indoor workouts are great for working on specific things like eliminating dead zones in your pedal technique through one-legged drills. You can also do very effective interval training on an indoor trainer. I find that you don't need to spend more than an hour on these higher intensity workouts and when you are focused on specific work/recovery cycles, time goes pretty fast. I'm not a big fan of long (3+) hour rides indoors - that is much more suitable for the great outdoors, although I do know a few poor souls training for IMs that do that sort of thing. But if you use some of the training videos available to target specific areas for improvement an indoor trainer can be a great option when you can't ride outdoors, not as a substitute but as an alternate training method that can improve your overall fitness and performance. In lieu of videos you can come up with some training workouts on paper/web and just crank up the tunes - another thing that you can't shouldn't do when you ride outdoors.

I bought a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer a number of years ago that I like quite a bit. Fluid trainers do a decent job of emulating a resistance curve similar to riding outdoors as you increase speed. I have not kept track of the latest indoor trainer options so there may be other things on the market now that are superior.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Yes that is the same thing, that is a really good tip! Thank you!

That's what I've got (but an older version) and yes, you can get a good workout with it.