Was a overweight child now go to the gym but I'm confused!!

Options

I was always teased for being overweight in school years ago. The past few months I've totally cut out junk food and joined the gym 5 days a week as of now my personal trainer recommends I lose more weight even though I really have no stomach fat. I'm confused is my fitness guide giving good advice here? After all he is a newbie but I'm confused I'm 6'3 and weigh around 9/10 stone is that a healthy weight to be at??? I hope so!! Can someone clarify if it looks like I need to cut a few pounds or not please?? Thank you so much
http://m.imgur.com/a/W7eoT

Replies

• mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Was that a picture of you? If so, no, you should not lose any more weight. In fact you look like you have lost too much weight.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You are very underweight, you should be gaining weight, not losing. I can't imagine how anyone would suggest you lose weight.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine any trainer with any degree of professionalism would recommend you lose more weight. If this is what your trainer has suggested, I recommend you get a new trainer ASAP and potentially see a medical professional about putting on some healthy weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    6'3 and weighing 126-140lbs? No that's not a position to lose weight from

Find out your true weight

Eat at surplus

Get a new trainer
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    You certainly do not need to lose more weight, based on either your stats or the pictures. You look unhealthily thin.

A new/different trainer is a good idea. What does your doctor say about your weight?

If I had a friend who looked like you, I would be concerned about an eating disorder or a health problem.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Your personal trainer is a worthless sack of crap who doesn't know a damn thing. You're way too skinny by the looks of things - has your doctor had anything to say about this?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Have you ever been diagnosed with an eating disorder or body dysmorphic disorder? Because if you can honestly look at those photos of yourself and wonder if you need to lose more weight, you're not seeing reality. You're severely underweight. First, I'd say fire your trainer immediately. Second, I'd say that if you can't see the reality of those photos, you may want to seek treatment from a reputable eating disorder physician/therapy team. Not trying to be insulting, just being bluntly honest in an effort to be helpful.
  • ernestrodgers82
    ernestrodgers82 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You need a new personal trainer (or no trainer at all). Check the NHS chart available at http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/height-weight-chart.aspx. The chart would indicate that you are under weight. Good luck!
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    silly question but has your personal trainer seen the pictures? only asking as I know sometimes if you wear bulky clothes to work out it can make you look bigger than you are. also surely your personal trainer should be recommend bulking not weight loss? is there other trainers you can use? if its part of a bigish gym I would speak to management as it sounds like this new trainer is giving dangerous advice and if its happening to you it could happen to others he trains.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Please go seek medical care immediately. You are extremely underweight. It is impossible to be as underweight as you are without significant malnourishment and a lot of stress on your body organs. Also please share with your physician the advice your trainer gave you.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Don't know what stones are, but basically you want to get your body fat percentage down to 15. Make it so.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    There is no maybe about this. Fire him now and make sure to tell him and his management why!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Your trainer can give advice on working out, but cannot give you nutritional advice.

Is he advising you to eat less calories? Or to lose?

I think you need to be gaining, and PRONTO before you start having problems with hormones.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    No way in hell should you be losing weight. You need to gain weight. Eat at a reasonable caloric surplus and hit the weights.
    Good luck!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Fire him. Immediately. Tomorrow. Don't ask him, don't listen to his advice anymore. And if you're working with him through the gym, as in he's an employee of the gym, you need to file a complaint because if he's telling you you need to eat less and lose more, then he's probably telling other people the same thing.
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Usually fitness instructors know what they are doing, however whoever you're using needs to be fired. You are severely underweight like anorexic. If you really need advice on how much you should weight maybe go see a nutritionist, if you cant afford that you can just google what a good weight for your height and sex would be. I hope you reach a healthy weight. Really though dont be shy or intimidated you need to fire your trainer.
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Also congratulations on all your hard work hopefully now you can reach a healthy weight.