Reduce your weight, increase your fiber, calcium, magnesium.

Options
13»

Replies

• Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    ZeroMileDiet, I'm sorry to disagree, but I do because I think this article has nothing to do with the topic being discussed.

It is a study on high protein vs. high carbohydrate diets.

I didn't see them say anywhere on the study what these people actually ate. What percentage of protein was animal derived, and how much was plant derived? Same for the carbohydrates. Were these people consuming dairy? If so, then they probably got a lot of bad carbohydrates.

You can do a high protein, low carbohydrate diet and still be vegan. So that study just seems kind of irrelevant.
  • Kristhin
    Options
    A note to the people who found the article harsh to read:

I apologize that I didn't initially see that. After your comments, looking back, I can see how reading the article would make someone who eats me a little put off. As if its saying, "of course meat's not healthy, so why are you eating it?!" I know that probably isn't a nice thing to read.

This article, however, was probably intended for people who already had a decent amount of knowledge on vegetarianism, and I didn't consider that.

The vegan community has for years interviewed former employees of the agricultural business and taken affidavits of the researchers basically being told that if they found any research suggesting people should lower their intake of dairy or meat, they'd better not report those findings. It'd be too bad for business.

Lately, with all of the studies that have been done linking meat and dairy to lifestyle diseases, as well as documentaries bringing it to light, and even the UN suggestion a global shift toward vegetarianism for sustainability purposes, the Food Pyramid has been shown to include more legumes and tofu rather than tons of meat.

The slight tone of aggression or sarcasm you may get from reading this article is directed at the USDA's failure to put the people before the money, rather than directed at the food consumers themselves.
  • Kristhin
    Options
    T. Colin Campbell, the main author of The China Study, grew up on a dairy farm. I would think you can't get any less biased than that, idk.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    ZeroMileDiet, I'm sorry to disagree, but I do because I think this article has nothing to do with the topic being discussed.

It is a study on high protein vs. high carbohydrate diets.

I didn't see them say anywhere on the study what these people actually ate. What percentage of protein was animal derived, and how much was plant derived? Same for the carbohydrates. Were these people consuming dairy? If so, then they probably got a lot of bad carbohydrates.

You can do a high protein, low carbohydrate diet and still be vegan. So that study just seems kind of irrelevant.

You must of missed this part;
    PCRM has been repeatedly criticized by the mainstream medical community. The American Medical Association has called PCRM a “fringe organization” that uses “unethical tactics” and is “interested in perverting medical science.” When he was the AMA’s Vice President for Scientific Affairs, Dr. Jerod M. Loeb wrote that PCRM was “officially censured” by the AMA. That statement also condemned PCRM for supporting “a campaign of misinformation against important animal research of AIDS.” And the American Academy of Neurology has denounced PCRM for “engag[ing] in a multi-year crusade against the March of Dimes including protests directed at March walkers, volunteers, and donors.”

Really nothing else needs to be said, you are basing your diet on what a group of lying, biased, discredited, hacks say. LOL
  • freerange
    Options
    Actually FreeRange, the only reason animals have calcium in any products we derive from them is because they get the calcium from the plants they eat. So it only makes sense that you would get more calcium if you eat those plant sources of calcium directly, rather than have them filtered through animals and therefore diluted in quantity.

Also, humans are not meant for milk consumption aside from human breast milk when they are babies. Our bodies are unable to process it properly, and therefore, your body cannot take all of the calcium out of the milk and into your body. Also, vitamin D is a much more important nutrient for bone strength (and most people are deficient in it) than calcium is; if you go find some natural calcium taken out of a plant or animal, you will see it is actually a very brittle mineral.

More info on how our bodies work with milk: http://www.drheise.com/milk.htm

www.docmeade.com

"Osteoporosis. Many women drink milk in order to prevent bone loss after menopause. The fact is that animal protein inhibits the absorption of calcium. Women from third world countries who have a very low calcium intake combined with a low intake of animal protein, including dairy, have much less of an incidence of osteoporosis. A study to determine the effects of milk consumption on the calcium metabolism of healthy postmenopausal women funded by the National Dairy Council showed that drinking three 8-ounce glasses of low fat milk a day for one year failed to create a positive calcium balance in these women. It is much better to supplement with calcium magnesium citrate and eat minimal animal protein after menopause."

Milk contains calcium, phosphorus, and protein and is fortified with vitamin D in the United States. All these ingredients may improve bone health. However, the potential benefit of milk on hip fracture prevention is not well established. The objective of this study was to assess the association of milk intake with risk of hip fracture based on a meta-analysis of cohort studies in middle-aged or older men and women. Data sources for this study were English and non-English publications via Medline (Ovid, PubMed) and EMBASE search up to June 2010, experts in the field, and reference lists. The idea was to compare prospective cohort studies on the same scale so that we could calculate the relative risk (RR) of hip fracture per glass of milk intake daily (approximately 300 mg calcium per glass of milk). Pooled analyses were based on random effects models. The data were extracted by two independent observers. The results show that in women (6 studies, 195,102 women, 3574 hip fractures), there was no overall association between total milk intake and hip fracture risk (pooled RR per glass of milk per day = 0.99; 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.96–1.02; Q-test p = .37). In men (3 studies, 75,149 men, 195 hip fractures), the pooled RR per daily glass of milk was 0.91 (95% CI 0.81–1.01). Our conclusion is that in our meta-analysis of cohort studies, there was no overall association between milk intake and hip fracture risk in women but that more data are needed in men. © 2011 American Society for Bone and Mineral Research.

onlinelibrary.wiley.com

Fiber: If you don't know why people need fiber, try watching TV for 5 minutes. Fiber helps control your weight, helps you retain muscle rather than fat, it cleans your body of cancer causing toxins, prevents heart disease, and lowers cholesterol.

I know I'll never turn you into a vegan, but with every post you make you are giving me more opportunity to share information with others so that they can learn the benefits.

As far as your theory earlier of having to import special foods for me to eat: It takes 2500 gallons of water to grow 1 pound of beef. Think of all the water wasted, as well as all the water wasted from fecal matter disposed of in completely unregulated ways, unlike human waste. Think of the water crisis, does this sound like something good to you?

And aside from health benefits: We are currently growing enough food to feed 12 to 15 BILLION people, and there are less than 7 billion people on the earth. Yet 925 million people are starving and dying every day. Why can't they have some of this food?

Because its going into cows and chickens, for your dinner.

What??????? What the heck does any of that have to do with the subject at hand? Now your basing your diet on TV commercials? LOL That is rich.
  • freerange
    Options
    Thanks zeromile, I'm going to save that for the next time some,,,,,,,,, be nice,,,,,,,, person, decides to bring this ,,,,,,,,, stuff, up again.
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the info Zeromile, thanks!