Trying to stay motivated

Options
Over the past 3 years I have broken my back twice, both hips, and my pelvis. In my previous line of work it was not uncommon for injuries, accidents happens. My back breaks were only 8 months apart so by the time I was ready to get back in a routine a second accident took me out of the game. I have gained roughly 30lbs and with a 5'3 frame it shows. With all of that down time I turned to food for comfort and my weak spot is candy, sugar sugar and more sugar. I finally am in a place where I am physically and mentally healthy and am stating the journey to get my body back. Diet is the hardest part for me I love food and cutting out the French fries, pizza, and anything with cheese is going to be the hardest thing. I guess it's what they call a life style change and I am going to need all the help I can get!

Replies

• doublewhopper
    doublewhopper Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Has your back healed? Back injuries are hell.
  • eaglespeed
    eaglespeed Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can relate to u in part of the junk food addiction, trust me u can make the transition to healthy and unprocessed food, I use to eat pizza on a daily basis now I barely eat any carbohydrates, most are from vegis as fruits, it's hard at 1st but possible... I gained 35 pounds as well not from an injury but u can call the phase I'm going through right now is the toughest I have ever been in my life, and I'm trying to adapt, u havn't mentioned if ur injuries are healed and ur able to walk if u weren't, but either way diet is the corner stone of weight loss... Lifestyle change is absolutely crucial... Exercise alone won't help. But diet without exercise can do alot of change.
    Don't pressure urself and start small, ur 1st goal should be to make it a habit to log in ur food intake daily and to document anything that enters ur body... This way u'll have an idea on how ur current diet is, then u start eliminating and replacing parts or ur meals so u don't crash.
  • kathleencooper535
    Options
    It did heal the second time around I actually took the time off to let it heal properly and did the physical therapy. It's was my L5 twice it bothers me from time to time mainly at work but I am back at the gym
  • Wendyxyz165
    Wendyxyz165 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ouch! I'm glad you aren't in that line of work anymore. I have the some problem with loving food too much. I need to lose about 80 pounds. I'm very active though but I just eat too much. I also love sugar. I don't really have the answers but like you and here for the support. I wonder if there is a section on this where people share recipes? I love to cook also. Do you? I don't even bring cheese into the house because I'll "abuse it" :smile: same with big bags of chips and stuff be even with not bringing large volumes of junk food home, I still manage to find it when I go out and then I eat too much healthy food at home. sigh. I'm only 5'4" tall and am currently about 226 pounds. anyway, I am really glad to be here and hope to continue to chat with people.
  • kathleencooper535
    Options
    I eat cheddar cheese like it's going out of business it's terrible. I do love to cook which is part of my problem lots of butter and other things that are big no no's. The other problem I have is that I have the pallet of a 6 year old I hate vegetables and most things with texture. I can't eat bananas, beans, etc. there's like 3 vegetables I will eat and usually only with butter it's going to be quite the challenge to try to change my eating habits. I do believe there is a section for recipes on here but I'm not sure if it's ones you've found or ones people recommend
  • Itisibigj39
    Itisibigj39 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm being nosey but what sort of work gets you injuries like that?...you a wrestler? Lol
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The best thing about counting calories is you don't have to completely cut out any of the foods that you love. All you have to do is moderate them, keep your calorie deficit, and you will still lose weight!
    As for not liking vegetable, try different ones, prepared in different ways. There are LOTS of different veggies, and LOTS of different ways to cook them, so if you just keep trying them, you're bound to find some that you like. You don't have to just sit around munching on raw carrot and celery sticks all day if you don't want to. (blech!)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I had a long hard row with back surgery, so I literally feel some of your pain. (Can't imagine broken hip and pelvis though! Yikes!)
    I made a deal with myself. Every week, I would cut one unhealthy habit from my diet and add a healthy one. I would allow myself one splurge day a week. Now, I'm cooking almost entirely with olive oil, have vegetables or fruit with every meal, and am eating fish twice a week, chicken most of the rest of the time, with beef being a once a week thing. So far, my splurges have been pretty much mitigated by my activity on splurge days, so I think I'm doing okay.

If you suddenly try to stop eating all the things you love, you'll just want them more, and you'll feel depressed about not having them. Figure out how to cut them back a little at a time and let yourself splurge once in a while.
  • whoffmanz
    whoffmanz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am guessing pro half pipe snowboarder. My mind is spinning on the possible jobs that have that much physical risk.

Glad to hear you are now healed up and able to get back in a healthy routine.
  • mamanewland
    mamanewland Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is hard! I can workout so consistently but eating is so important. I'm following a bootcamp meal plan book that is helping but it's still hard to say no to the tempting foods my kids are snacking on all the time! Add me as a friend if you want!
  • lainy1979
    lainy1979 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've had a tough time, you can be forgiven for turning to food during the times of needing comfort. I'm a comfort eater also, I'm a junkfood vegetarian & I too LOVE cheese. I'm a big takeaway fan but have cut them down over the last few months. I eat a lot of veg but I do have a weakness for carbs. I'm trying to shift 35lb so feel free to add me, our goals are similar ☺
  • bodnars55
    bodnars55 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The two hardest parts are deciding to make that lifestyle change and then committing to that change. I went through that about a year ago when I joined mfp. What can make it easier is deciding what you are willing to go without and what things you are absolutely not willing to give up. Those things that you cannot go without, make room for them in your diet and it makes it much easier to stick to your change. Feel free to add me, always looking for more people for motivation.
  • kathleencooper535
    Options
    I was a horse trainer in 3 day eventing my last back and hip break were caused from a horse flipping over on top of me. I didn't hold up too well against a 1200lb animal. I am still able to ride but now at that level anymore. I think you guys are absolutely right I was trying to cut everything out at once and it made me hangry and miserable. Going to back track and try cutting out one thing at a time. Thank you all for the kind words and support!
  • whoffmanz
    whoffmanz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes a 1200lb horse is going to win in a wresting match. Sorry the injuries took you out of riding at a competitive level. Glad you can still ride.

I think a lot of people jump in with both feet and end up discourage by too drastic a change all at once.

Getting healthy should be about getting to a happier place. Not about making yourself miserable. With your riding background I am sure you are use to working hard to get to where you want to be. I am sure you will reach your goals.
  • holland16
    holland16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    whoffmanz wrote: »
    I think a lot of people jump in with both feet and end up discourage by too drastic a change all at once.

Couldn't said that better. Fitness as a whole is a marathon through life, not the 40 yard dash. It takes time to perfect it for "YOU". What works best for you may or may not work for the next person.

So glad you're able to still move! The weight of a horse falling on you could have possibly caused paralysis. If you want to add me for motivation, please do. Anybody else if you want to as well ;)