Bicyclists?!

Options
2»

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I've thought about getting a trainer, but have put it off. We have a solid elliptical at home, and I've found that workouts translate fairly well when I get on the bike. I do agree that any type of at home exercise can be boring if you let it, but if you get creative it's not nearly as bad IMO. I mix it up a lot on the elliptical and it kills more of the boredom factor unless I do longer endurance training.

I've thought about getting a roller setup for the bike and then adding in a resistance factor if needed. Just seems like it would be more fun to me. But really, I'd prefer the weather was good enough that I could just get outside to ride.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    evayna wrote: »
    It's winter here and I can't bike!
    The weather is fine. Get something with knobby tires and disc brakes and layer up. There are enough layers to bike almost anywhere. If you live somewhere like North Dakota and have truly nasty weather, order up some military surplus wool pants and bunny boots and raid the local thrift store for oversize windbreaker bottoms to layer on top.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is it. Do you feel like you get enough resistance for a workout? Where I live winter makes it impossible to bike. What model do you have?

Yes. After 60 minutes of race simulation or hill climing training using Sufferfest my legs are like jelly.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    You'd be better off investing in winter gear and riding outside.

Poorly maintained rural roads, in the dark and in foul weather.

Best case is new tubes every week or so, worst case is a cage dweller hitting you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I bought myself a turbo trainer but after the initial novelty and enthusiasm wore off it rarely gets used.
    By the time I set it up and bring my bike indoors I can get to my gym where they have better kit than I do at home - Wattbike Pro and eSpinning bikes.

I live somewhere it's feasible to cycle outdoors virtually all year round but I have Raynaud's which means it varies from painful to downright dangerous in winter - plus I plain just don't enjoy riding in poor conditions and enjoying my riding is important to me.

People might find this article interesting, a different take on winter training...
    roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/should-you-do-high-intensity-training-rather-than-base-training-during-winter.html?utm_campaign=newsletter_20151208&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter_rcuk#OeLWRGc7T7m90Pif.97
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have a Kurt Kinetic smart trainer linked up to Zwift. Zwift keeps my indoor pedaling from getting boring and I've found I put in much more effort than simply "mailing it in" on my recumbent stationary bike.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Got my 3hr trainer ride done. Time for beer!
  • Yummy75
    Yummy75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love my indoor trainer! I've set it up to BKOOL which allows me to choose a course anywhere in the world, and they aren't computer generated courses! I actually prefer indoor cycling in the winter, with good effort you burn a ton of calories. I also get my Netflix in while on the trainer, added bonus!
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I too recently purchased a BKool Pro trainer, I'm still on the 1st. month of my subscription, and I've only used the thing maybe 10 times, but I find it much easier to use than a treadmill. Even watching a TV, treadmills bore me to death!!

I actually look forward to my ride tomorrow evening, maybe I'll tour the french countryside!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    We have are Cycle Ops fluid trainer. I like it much better than riding in the cold. I do intervals and watch TV. I can control intensity much better, keeping my heart rate where it is supposed to be.
  • Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Indoor trainers can be expensive and noisy but they are worth it. Google cycling trainers and you'll get tons of videos. I'm a fairly serious cyclist and I bought some used rollers off eBay for 30$. Works for me...but the main point is they work.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is it. Do you feel like you get enough resistance for a workout? Where I live winter makes it impossible to bike. What model do you have?

For the record, there are bikes that are specialized to deal with snow, and in some places there are even trails that are designed to make it even easier.

7.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

fatbike1.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Are you talking about one of these...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXzBd209VhAaCY-XxLc3uIm_cygoMU_am3kjlWBw7zbO92kGjY

I have one and it's not nearly as enjoyable as riding outdoors and I don't get the same workout either...but it's better than nothing. I don't use it much...even in winter I will gear up and get out unless there's actually snow.

used to hate my fluid trainer. Now I got a tacx smart trainer and man, a whole new world with the online videos :)

An update since I posted on this last year...

I've actually been enjoying my indoor trainer more this year. Last year I was so focused on endurance and putting in miles, it was just incredibly boring on the trainer...this year I'm using my trainer primarily for my interval work and using a plethora of YouTube training videos and just doing my endurance work outdoors on nice days. The longest I'll spend on the trainer is an hour...most of my interval work is anywhere from 30-45 minutes though.