low carb

Options
hi guys. I'm thinking of starting a low carb diet in February as I want to see the pounds come off really quick. Any tips from people on the same diet is more than welcome. Thanks

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    The weight that initially comes off when people go low carb is mostly water weight. It's not magical

Losing weight fast happens when you're taking unsustainable drastic measures. That usually lead to "falling off the wagon" and the weight being put back on, often plus some extra. Go for slow and steady - it's more sustainable and likely to be more successful long term.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    First count your calories. Low carb can help with not feeling hungry for some but that's all it does.

Now if you want this to work your attitude is wrong. Everyone would like to lose quick and be done. Prepare for a normal 1-2 pounds per week loss along with bumps down the road. Everyone messes up sometime. You'll need patience.

Good luck in your goals!
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    This is also a good place to start. Many members so most every question you have has been asked answered:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/
    Read up on "keto-flu" There are ways to mitigate it, but I still had to deal with it for about 11 days when I started. But since I knew what it was and it would end, I didn't worry about it.
    Yes, a lot of the initial weight loss is water (so you need to replenish your salt/sodium/potassium etc intake), but that is only in the beginning.

I have been low carb for over 3 years now. I am still losing weight. Surely it is not just old water weight by this point, lol
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    HutchA12 wrote: »
    First count your calories. Low carb can help with not feeling hungry for some but that's all it does.

Now if you want this to work your attitude is wrong. Everyone would like to lose quick and be done. Prepare for a normal 1-2 pounds per week loss along with bumps down the road. Everyone messes up sometime. You'll need patience.

Good luck in your goals!

Agreed. My start weight was 126lbs and i lost steadily. It still took me 10 months to get to goal.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Great! Keep carbs below 100/day, and protein at 25 percent of cals, with the rest healthy fats.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    doyinFit wrote: »
    hi guys. I'm thinking of starting a low carb diet in February as I want to see the pounds come off really quick. Any tips from people on the same diet is more than welcome. Thanks

Don't fear the fat - with low carbs and sensible protein the rest is fat. No more lean, lite, diet etc options.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Low carb is not for everyone, but it is for me. I don't feel hungry even though I am eating at a deficit. It is not magic, though. As has been pointed out the initial weight loss is water, after that, it is the same kind of slow loss that anyone eating at a sensible deficit experiences.
    I am pairing it with exercise- lifting and bicycling.
  • randi5000
    randi5000 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carb for 3 months and have lost 31 pounds. I just started past couple weeks!! I feel great!!
  • muccica07
    muccica07 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I generally like to balance my macros at 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fats. The breakdown of every meal includes a generous serving of a lean protein and veggies for sure. If I can weasel in rice, a roll, or other grains I so so after I;ve already figured out the bulk of my meals, and any snacks (such as greek yogurt) I know Ill eat. I can help you out with that if you'd like. Feel free to PM :-)
  • wrknonmedaily
    wrknonmedaily Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I started cutting out unhealthy carbs on Jan 3, 2016 and down around 13 pounds today. What I mean by unhealthy is soda, chips (2 20oz bottles of mtn dew a day), donuts, candy bars, cheesy popcorn ect and I have added a lot of water. I eat more vegetables. If I want my favorite, chocolate, I do dark. I am also a grazer, sunflower seeds in the shell help me with this. So I have caused a deficit basically from my normal high carb calories. I feel a lot better, 100% better. I believe all the unhealthy carbs had caused some type of inflammation that always had me in pain. No more pain.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yes. Don't fear fats. Most will replace carbs with fats, which works great for most.

Consider increasing sodium up to 3000-5000mg per day to avoid an electrolyte imbalance (aka low carb/keto flu). Adding potassium and magnesium helps too.
  • doyinFit
    doyinFit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks all
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Try the south beach diet. Helps ease u initio healthy carbs only. First 2 weeks is the hardest but that's with anything.
  • doyinFit
    doyinFit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • dennislyons1976
    dennislyons1976 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm am in the Beatrice daily sun fitness challenge here in Beatrice Nebraska. I have to lose weight every week and write a blog for the newspaper. I am competing against five other people and so far in the last two weeks I have lost 12 pounds. I have to step up my game so I am switching to low carbs. I am counting my calories and eating mainly tuna and salmon.

http://m.beatricedailysun.com/fitness/dennis-lyons/article_f33bcdec-f08f-51b5-8a56-4ee5683f0a1a.html?mobile_touch=true