Macro Question

Options
I'm confused. What sets the macro percentages? Is it only based on daily calorie allowance I.e. everyone on a 1200 diet would be attempting the same ratios, or do other things such as age and bin come into play? My recommended ratio is 50/30/20 per mfp. Are there any scenarios where this should be different?

Replies

• MsLindaC2015
    MsLindaC2015 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    age and bmi
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    the macro settings are basically set at what the USDA thinks is right. At least thats what i think MFP did.
    My thoughts
    you need protein and fat to survive you dont need carbs
    protein helps keep you full
    protein is thermogenic meaning it takes energy to use the energy. (good for fat loss)
    protein helps prevent the breakdown of muscle.(also good)
    fat is needed for hormones

most bodybuilders the skinniest and muscleist people on the planet eat low fat, low carb, high protein when they try losing fat. why? fat to stay healthy, the protein to keep muscle and build muscle, and the carbs for energy.

Instead of trying to track macros just hit the minimum you need to be healthy and to lose fat.
    hit at least 15% calories from fat (health)
    hit at least 30% calories from protein (FatLoss-to fill full and protect muscle loss) (just health its probably like 10%P)
    carbs dont matter so just worry about the other two.

I hope this helps
  • MsLindaC2015
    Options
    Yes it does. Thank you.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I'm doing great at 20% protein ;-) Its well within the very large USDA guidelines.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've lost 64 lbs (29 kg) since April and I've never altered my MFP macro settings. Default for the win.

I try to keep an eye on my protein to ensure healthy muscle mass, but other than that, I eat all the carbs I want.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Bad macros!!! Switch to 20/20/60.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 30 lbs since June and I'm usually at 65% carbs, and fat & protein make the rest. Carbs keep me happy and full. o:)
  • MsLindaC2015
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I think I understand. Sometimes it seems difficult to get even 20% protein, and maybe it's just in my head but it seems like the more protein I eat the heavier I feel. But I looked up the USDA guidelines, and since the range goes up to 35% I guess trying to get 20 can't be bad. Thanks again.
  • MsLindaC2015
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I've lost 64 lbs (29 kg) since April and I've never altered my MFP macro settings. Default for the win.

I try to keep an eye on my protein to ensure healthy muscle mass, but other than that, I eat all the carbs I want.

Congratulations on your loss! That's great!
  • MsLindaC2015
    Options
    I've lost over 30 lbs since June and I'm usually at 65% carbs, and fat & protein make the rest. Carbs keep me happy and full. o:)

Congratulations on your loss too! That's wonderful!
  • MsLindaC2015
    Options
    I have been doing this for about a month and lost 6 pounds but now I seem to be trying to put it back on. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My recommended ratio is 50/30/20 per mfp. Are there any scenarios where this should be different?

If you have PCOS, like I do, then you should eat as few carbs as possible. Right now I have my macros set at 40/30/30. My goal is to decrease my carbs to 35% then to 30% and to increase my protein.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for about a month and lost 6 pounds but now I seem to be trying to put it back on. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

This might help:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear
  • MsLindaC2015
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

This might help:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear

Yes it did. Thanks.