Best exercise for fat bum

Options
Can someone please help I have large bum and thighs and was wondering what is best exercise to tone them?

Replies

• djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    heres a video i found from youtube, i couldnt tell you personally because iv'e never really wanted to tone mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1CbLS60CkQ
  • porky51979
    porky51979 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you I will have a look at that
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Eat less carbs.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You can't stop reduce so no exercise in itself will make it bigger but I would recommend the lifting program strong curves
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    The best exercise for fat burn is pushing yourself away from the table.

The second best exercise for fat burning is whatever exercise you love doing. If you don't love it, you won't keep at it.

Beware of any pill or exercise machine claiming to help you burn fat faster. All you should care about is burning more calories than you consume.
  • porky51979
    Options
    Ok thank you I just wanted to target those areas mainly but I guess overall I will see a difference in any exercise I do. I'm sticking to a 1200 cal diet at the moment.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, you can't spot reduce. Need to lost fat and work the muscles. Strong Curves is excellent for working the Glutes & hips. Hip thrusters, glute bridges, lunges are all good exercises.
  • porky51979
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Exercise your will power from eating too many calories.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Google Brett Contreras "the Glute Guy". I think hip thrusts are the work horse. Strong Curves book illustrates most exercises.
  • porky51979
    Options
    Calories are not the problem, it's my lack of exercise knowledge lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    porky51979 wrote: »
    Can someone please help I have large bum and thighs and was wondering what is best exercise to tone them?
    You can "tone up" muscle underneath, but you cannot spot reduce any area of the body with exercise directed at it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    OP exercise is for fitness and health. While it can help with a calorie deficit, fat loss and weight loss happen AT REST with a calorie deficit and not when you're working out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• porky51979
    Options
    So then now I am a little confused would it be best to lose the weight first and do cardio before trying to tone up?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    porky51979 wrote: »
    So then now I am a little confused would it be best to lose the weight first and do cardio before trying to tone up?

Read this article, it will answer a lot of your questions: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Read the article above, there is some good info in it. but.. do all three things, eat a deficit, build muscle (or maintain your muscle mass while eating at deficit) and do your cardio around building/maintaining muscles whilst trying to loose weight/fat.

Find you a program like above strong curves, strong lifts, etc.. and then do cardio workouts as needed.

There is not a one size fits all when it comes strength training with or without cardio. You need to start with making a goal on what you want to achieve and then pick and start a program and stay on that program. Stick with it and you will start to see changes happen.. This is not a sprint and will not be overnight.

Best of luck... :):)

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're female, you need to lose weight to lose the fat. So, CICO - and lots of cardio will help if you're a beginner.

Of course, lifting is great, but fewer calories is key. (Yes, more muscle burns more calories, but the nitty gritty for plump ladies starts with calories.) Definitely move on to lifting as your fitness increases, but don't let anyone fool you into thinking that you'll see quick results with lifting alone.

Cardio cardio cardio - 20 min every day, enough to really break a hard sweat is a good start if you are new to exercise. You'll notice a difference. Ideally, incorporate lifting a few times per week, but that might be a daunting commitment at first.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Cardio can make the scale go down but you may end up skinny fat.

Heavy lifting can make the body leaner by retaining more lean body mass.

I have more urges to take selfies after an hour of lifting than after 30 minutes of cardio. The difference is real.
  • neela1880
    neela1880 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a big bum, now it's toned and doesn't look big now, and that's due to cardio and strength training I do.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    Cardio can make the scale go down but you may end up skinny fat.

Heavy lifting can make the body leaner by retaining more lean body mass.

I have more urges to take selfies after an hour of lifting than after 30 minutes of cardio. The difference is real.

Yes, but neither 1 hour of lifting nor 30 min cardio are going to result in a noticeable slimming of a FAT bum, like the OP wants. I fully agree that lifting is great and necessary for her to find a perky, firm butt, however removing the fat is necessary for the muscle to be visible.