? about Transitioning from walking to jog/run

Options
I've been consistently walking for two weeks 3-4 miles per day. How long should I continue walking before jogging/running. I of course want to build up stamina, but, I am also having a difficult time with my heels hurting when I try to run. So, I guess my question is for runners, how long did you walk before starting to run? Thnx!

Replies

• kel8022
    kel8022 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started with intervals where I would walk for 2 minutes and then run for 1 and then slowly decrease the walking time and increase the run time.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Check out the Couch to 5K program. It is very popular around here. :smile:

If you heels hurt when you run you most likely have one of two problems (or both). Either your shoes are wrong or your form is bad. Both can be analyzed at a good running store (locally owned specialty store - not a chain store).
  • slf620
    slf620 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you Kel8022, I actually read up on that today, glad to hear it worked for you.

dewd2-I am looking to buy a really good pair of running shoes next week, I have tried my Nike, New Balance and Adidas shoes and even tried inserts in them, to no avail , so I'll do what you suggested and will also look into the couch to 5k program, thank you both for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
  • Sonyavdg
    Sonyavdg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've used the couch to 5k as well. If you have a smart phone there are a bunch of apps that will give you the prompts on when to run and when to walk
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Whenever you feel like you're ready! +1 for c25k!
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    kel8022 wrote: »
    I started with intervals where I would walk for 2 minutes and then run for 1 and then slowly decrease the walking time and increase the run time.

• dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I used interval training 5 minutes walking then 1 minute running then after 2 weeks progressed to 4 minutes walking and 2 minutes running I continued this progression until I as running without walking. Ran a 5k in 29:09 at the beginning of November. Since I have started all over again but this time will be a 10k March 6. I always have had a fixed distance to run. 5k while I was training for the 5k now obviously 10k. After the 10k I am scheduled for a half marathon in San Diego in June. This is amazing stuff since I used to smoke and was over 265lbs. Now I am at 166 and smoke free. You mentioned shoes - go to a sports store and get a stride analysis, They will place you on a tread mill and video tape your stride then advise which shoe to try. Sports Chalet does it here in California
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I literally started jogging from one lamppost to the next, then walking 2 or 3 then jogging and built it up. I didn't have a smart phone so couldn't do Couch 2 5k but I've lots of good things about it. I run 5k twice a week now, no walking. I'll never be really fast, but its faster than I ever thought. Age 35 I did a Race for life 5k and it took 44 minutes, I did a 10k run last august in 59 mins (age 44).
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Another vote for Couch 2 5k
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    May I ask if your goal is to be a runner or you are just interested in fitness gains and calories burned

Because whilst C25K is a good programme if you don't really want to run you simply don't have to...you could just continually increase your pace, duration, incline, carry weights in a backpack, add additional movements in stages to your walk and get cardiovascular gains and good calorie burns

Jogging is not a necessity unless it's your goal

• charlton200
    charlton200 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Also a vote for c25k, and also the trainers. You mentioned that you have tried a few brands, but even within brands you get different types - I have Nike lunar glides as they are the right level of support for me, but most of the other ones they make just don't work for me. So a gait analysis will really help you get the right ones.
  • slf620
    Options
    Reading through the comments I'm VERY thankful for all of the advice, there is a bridge run in The Keys that i would like to do, I would like to be able to run it, it's 7 miles long, and it will be in April, I'm not sure if that's realistic or not, but I do want to run to lose weight as well as be able to do the Bridge Run. So I guess it's a mixture of both.

I do try to "speedwalk" in intervals. I just think I'm doing to much too fast, being completely sedentary for 3 years (depression from losing my mother and nephew one year apart from each other) to finally being motivated to lose my weight and become active again, I think I may be pushing myself to hard to fast. Thanks for all of the advice. You guys ROCK!
  • dewd2
    Options
    slf620 wrote: »
    Thank you Kel8022, I actually read up on that today, glad to hear it worked for you.

dewd2-I am looking to buy a really good pair of running shoes next week, I have tried my Nike, New Balance and Adidas shoes and even tried inserts in them, to no avail , so I'll do what you suggested and will also look into the couch to 5k program, thank you both for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

I cannot recommend any brand or style of running shoe. It really depends on your feet and how your run. This is why it is important to get fitted at a good running store the first time.
  • dewd2
    Options
    slf620 wrote: »
    Reading through the comments I'm VERY thankful for all of the advice, there is a bridge run in The Keys that i would like to do, I would like to be able to run it, it's 7 miles long, and it will be in April, I'm not sure if that's realistic or not, but I do want to run to lose weight as well as be able to do the Bridge Run. So I guess it's a mixture of both.

The general rule is to not add more than 10% each week. Since you can already walk 3-4 miles you should have no problem going 7. Now running 7 may be a different story. Get your heel issues straighten out and see how you feel. If you can go 1-2 miles you may have enough time to build up for the April race. Even if you can't run it, you can certainly walk/run the whole distance.

I'm not sure how long the couch to 5k program runs but 7 miles is a bit longer than a 10k. Keep this in mind as you train. If you are not able to run the distance please don't force it. You will end up injured and burned out.

Good luck.
  • slf620
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, much appreciated. I definitely don't want to push my self to injury or get burnt out. I feel that once I can get my shoe issue straightened out, I'll be able to go longer distances. This was never an issue before, and I guess where I've put on weight my current shoes just aren't cutting it for long intervals of exercise. Thanks Again!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I echo all the advice above. I began running when walking got boring. I also suggest stretches before and after a walk or run to see if that helps. You should not have heel pain as you describe so figure that out so exercise stays fun.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I always thought I can't run because I would go out and run a few miles and my knees would hurt. So I started walking and to relieve boredom I started playing Ingress.com. Its a GPS based game I can best describe as a global game of capture the flag. I started walking portal to portal to attack and as I got into it I would run from portal to portal to "attack" more efficiently. This interval stop and start was crucial and allowed be to build up slowly. Well as time went on I found that I was running several miles. Eventually game play was slowing me down and I started running 30 miles a week and have run several half marathons. I love running now but still will do an "Ingress run" for the fun of it. Do get some good shoes from a running store and replace them every 400 to 500 miles. A good running app will help you keep up and log miles. Start slow and build, hey you have plenty of time to build so don't do it too fast.
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I started couch to 5k in October, having never done any running before. I am now running 5k twice each week, plus 10k every Sunday.
  • dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I started couch to 5k in October, having never done any running before. I am now running 5k twice each week, plus 10k every Sunday.

That's awesome!
  • slf620
    Options
    That is so very awesome sarahredhaira! Great motivation and great advice from you guys!! :)

Rsclause, I thought the same because of the pain I'm having, so I'm going to invest in myself and buy some REALLY good shoes!