My weight can't make up its mind!

Options
Okay so I am losing weight SLOWLY. I'm on a 1200 cal diet which is working to help lose weight however I can jump on the scales a weight one weight and then the next morning I can weigh myself again and I have gained 3lbs over night and then lose it again in a day or two. Can anyone help me to stop this or explain why this keeps happening? I drink between 1.5 - 2 litres of water everyday!

Replies

• disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You should only step on the scale once a week and even then there will be discrepancies. Weight loss is not linear. Log your weight on here and look for a downward trend.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Your monthly cycle, water retention, sodium intake, and a multitude of other factors can all show increases on the scale. Look at my weight for the last four weeks, especially the day I jump from 116.5 to 119 then back down within three days:

gt2lwzzs8ghc.jpg
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you to weight your self once a month, or maximum once per week. Make sure it's always on the same day, same scale and same time. For example every first in a month, in the morning on an empty stomach.
    If you don't have a lot of weight to lose I would suggest focusing more on your fat percentage, and how your clothes fit.
  • ellieliam9796
    ellieliam9796 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    GsKiki wrote: »
    I would suggest you to weight your self once a month, or maximum once per week. Make sure it's always on the same day, same scale and same time. For example every first in a month, in the morning on an empty stomach.
    If you don't have a lot of weight to lose I would suggest focusing more on your fat percentage, and how your clothes fit.

I am 5ft 1 and 137lbs but can't seem to shift it and keep it off
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Your body weight isn't going to be constant . many factors go into it such as water weight. Just keep going and don't focus so much on the scale.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You are perfectly normal. My weight is rarely the same 2 days in a row. I fluctuate 1-3 lbs daily for 7-14 days between each recorded loss. I use happy scales phone app to track the tends. It really helps you visualize how your body reacts. My problem with weighing once a week is that it can miss your low days if you happen to weigh on a high day. Then you get stressed out thinking you're not losing when in fact you might have lost 2 pounds the day before or the next day. Try a few different approaches & see what works best for you.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my weight fluctuates up to 5 pounds in a day.

get away from the scale and only weigh once week.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    This is the way it goes for most of us. It could be as simple as heavier sodium one day resulting in water retention. I always do the same, up, down, up, down, settle in at the lower weight. Then it starts again. Once I realized that's how it went, it didn't bother me!
  • ellieliam9796
    ellieliam9796 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is the way it goes for most of us. It could be as simple as heavier sodium one day resulting in water retention. I always do the same, up, down, up, down, settle in at the lower weight. Then it starts again. Once I realized that's how it went, it didn't bother me!

Wow! Thanks for the help! :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    You're not any different than anyone else when it comes to weight fluctuation. As mentioned weight loss isnt' linear. Doing the same thing one week and getting a result, won't always be the same the next week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cassieknights951
    cassieknights951 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I also weigh every day first thing in the morning. I find that if I eat too much veg I bloat and this causes a puns it 2 increase in the scales but on the whole Ive been lucky to maintain it lose daily
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I was up 1kg (2.2lbs) from yesterday this morning. It's not fat weight, and I was expecting it, as yesterday I went way over in sodium. That 1kg is simply water retention and will be gone by tomorrow, and then the roller coaster will begin again :lol: