garmin or fitbit

Options
hello all
i have a question and would love and value some help with it
i have used a fitbit one for several years
one of the things i like about it is that i dont have to wear it on my wrist
a big dislike is that i dont feel it is very accurate
i am 5'6" and my weight fluctuates between 120 and 130 lbs and i have very lax on my workouts sometimes not doing anything other than getting on the treadmill for half an hour power walk
i do work on my fit as a bartender and sometimes wait on tables so i do get plenty of steps but according to fitbit i had 60 floors yesterday which i know to be impossible as i stayed all day home and did you up and down the stairs maybe 20 times
it also says that on a daily basis i burn between 3 and 4 thousand calories which i find inaccurate for a woman my size and no i do not manually input any exercise
so i have been considering a garmin vivosmart
i like what i have read about it and as someone constantly leaving her cell phone behind it sounds great but i wonder if the discomfort of wearing something around my wrist i worth the features
does anyone here find the garmin to be accurate as far as steps and calories burnt

thank you in advance for your advice

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i have the old version of vivosmart and like it.
    i like that it's waterproof and i don't have to worry about it.
    it just looks like a black bracelet. i like the brand of garmin better personally
  • Misanthropeone
    Misanthropeone Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    being waterproof does sound like a good feature
  • hephnerc
    hephnerc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Has anyone every used the Garmin Vivofit? I'm looking to purchase and am wondering how it works and if it's worth the money or if I should get something different!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    hephnerc wrote: »
    Has anyone every used the Garmin Vivofit? I'm looking to purchase and am wondering how it works and if it's worth the money or if I should get something different!

My daughter has a vivofit and I have a vivosmart (with HR soft chest strap, not the new wrist HR). I had a Fitbit Charge for about 9 months and ditched it due to too many issues with "hardware" aspect of it.

You should make a list of the health related things you would like to track, i.e. sleep, steps, calories burned, calorie plan, exercise activities with or with an HR, etc.. I would go out to google and amazon and look at the reviews. A lot reviews are put on amazon even though they did not buy the product from amazon. There are comparison charts right at your finger tips if you search for reviews on google.

You should balance what you need it do with according to how much you want to spend. They all do some of the same things and some can do alot more, some are more related to exercise activities such as running, cycling.

I do not know what you do for exercise, but this may be important in the type of tracker you need.

You have to decide if it will be worth it to spend the money to get you to your goals.